Newbie tools, What is needed and why, Come contrbute!

Im no electrician but ive some personal experience... disclaimer :p

Its irrelevant with modern electronic timers (as opposed to the "mechanical" magnetic ones that warning is attached to), they have contactors rated for 10+ amps usually (another important thing to check when buying a timer) and will not fuse together.

Also modern digital ballasts are all soft starting (again as opposed to old magnetic impulse ones that were not to be used with plug and play time relays) and have built in circuit protection.

Ive had both types of timers and ballasts. Got rid of the impulse starters soon as i saw how dangerous they are to leave unattended (coil temp of 100c). The one and only time i used a mechanical timer its contactor was fused.

Scary shit for a grow at a forest cabin yes, but imagine if its your apartment...

So, only buy digital ballasts, only use electronic weekly timers with relay protection rated for 10+ amps.

The plug and play ones usually come in 10 or 16A varieties.
Makes sense to me,i just mentioned it because i went to the grow store recently to but the digital type and the box stated not to use it with grow lights,the staff told me it would be okay but gear is to expensive to take a chance,my light kit did come with a mechanical type so thats what i continue to use,i guess i could contact them to find out specifics

I have their catalog so I am including this pic,All four timers specify not to use with digital balasts..why? I dont know
image.jpeg

Really mate i have no idea, but i can tell you ive been using them in combination, usually left completely alone for a week at a time and am still using the GIB ballasts i bought 3 years ago, with the same 10 amp timers. This is at a summer house with frequent dips and spikes.

Im told it will affect the lifetime of the devices somehow. But compared to the mechanical one i had fuse on me within a few weeks...

Maybe an electrically minded person can chime in and explain what the difference is between a plug and play replay circuit and a wall mounted one?

about the timers with the grow ballasts.... asked a buddy, his best hunch was the initial spike or draw of juice during powering on may overload the digital switch. While he is an electrician, he never worked on grow light systems so is not fully knowledgeable on that to be quoted for case

@budelee

This is just an addition to the rope section of this very useful list. Paracord is one of the most versatile cordages a person can utilize in any given cultivation scenario. Comes in a variety of gauges and colors to suit any task.

Started in 2012 and still active, great thread.

I'll add Bamboo skewers for early LST. It is much easier to move the young leafs aside and hold them by just pushing the end into the soil. With two or three you eliminate tying and bending by hand that often ends in broken tops.

One very important thing is to spray the skewers with a can of clear or colored urethane. Even though the skewers feel smooth out of the package, they are abrasive and can rub the plant. A spray and light sanding prevent it and give you a set of tools you will find very useful in a plants early stages.

Have a steady eye, don’t panic nor rush, learn from mistakes, ask question if help is needed.

Back