Ocean Forest OR Happy Frog???

Reaction score
I’ve used both, but I have noticed signs of nitrogen toxicity in ALL of my autoflowers grown in OCEAN FOREST. What else bothers me is that all of my FFOF grows have been fem seeds (confirmed sex at 3-4 week) and every. damn. one of them went herm. There have been other random stresses as well, no doubt, but the only consistent thing is the FFOF.

On the other hand, last year I grew in HAPPY FROG and (aside from nute burn, which I assume responsibility for while adding Fox Farm’s Triolikely incorrectly), I had two successful, if rather short plants.

What do you prefer (these brands or others!)? Do you make your own soil (considering a “mr. canucks” style soil with the best comparable amendments I can find in thenUS)? As always, any advice, comments or conversation is welcome and appreciated!!!

(attaching some of my grows just for fun)
AC4DF946-4621-4C9A-BA31-DEACC9024DF3.jpeg3E4BD9EC-F465-4689-A866-4F883F938059.jpeg23F055CD-1CC7-4DC9-95B2-3F203CE62859.jpeg27C8D141-8750-4A15-B4EB-49BBDB2B1F74.jpegF804A672-54B3-406A-A77A-874C8EFEB510.jpegDA5D8B38-0212-4DED-A098-01643DE1775C.jpeg

I’ve used both, but I have noticed signs of nitrogen toxicity in ALL of my autoflowers grown in OCEAN FOREST. What else bothers me is that all of my FFOF grows have been fem seeds (confirmed sex at 3-4 week) and every. damn. one of them went herm. There have been other random stresses as well, no doubt, but the only consistent thing is the FFOF.

On the other hand, last year I grew in HAPPY FROG and (aside from nute burn, which I assume responsibility for while adding Fox Farm’s Triolikely incorrectly), I had two successful, if rather short plants.

What do you prefer (these brands or others!)? Do you make your own soil (considering a “mr. canucks” style soil with the best comparable amendments I can find in thenUS)? As always, any advice, comments or conversation is welcome and appreciated!!!

(attaching some of my grows just for fun)
View attachment 1528345View attachment 1528347View attachment 1528348View attachment 1528349View attachment 1528350View attachment 1528351
I would agree that FFOF is too hot for auto's it can be grown in but best be careful IMPE IF I had to choose between the two I would choose FFHF.... BUT I have switched coast of Maine Stonington blend and have been having good success following their top dress schedule for auto's pretty simple but like anything it is as easy as you make it:thumbsup: :d5:

I would agree that FFOF is too hot for auto's it can be grown in but best be careful IMPE IF I had to choose between the two I would choose FFHF.... BUT I have switched coast of Maine Stonington blend and have been having good success following their top dress schedule for auto's pretty simple but like anything it is as easy as you make it:thumbsup: :d5:
Thank you!!! I will definitely look into the Maine Stonington.

I've been using HF for a year with pretty good luck. But, I have had bug problems in every pot of HF. I ran some coco loco this round and not a single bug. I'm looking for something else similar to HF minus the bugs. Mother Earth Terracraft looks pretty good and close to HF.

Coast of Maine stonington blend is what I used and for amendments I go super simple, buildasoil craftblend and buildaflower, dynomyco at the begging and recharger every 2 weeks(just started doing this). Some pots have worms others don’t. Oh and some quillaja 20 from BaS

I've been using HF for a year with pretty good luck. But, I have had bug problems in every pot of HF. I ran some coco loco this round and not a single bug. I'm looking for something else similar to HF minus the bugs. Mother Earth Terracraft looks pretty good and close to HF.
Do you think the bugs were actually bagged in with the soil, or something in it was attracting them? I remember having fungus gnats to deal with in my first few grows with HF, but they were my first grows EVER after VA went green and I massacred a lot of plats with overwatering, lol

Do you think the bugs were actually bagged in with the soil, or something in it was attracting them? I remember having fungus gnats to deal with in my first few grows with HF, but they were my first grows EVER after VA went green and I massacred a lot of plats with overwatering, lol
definitely in the bags. Not sure if they’re coming from the factory or the place I get the bags. They’re stored outside where I buy them so they could get in the bags there.

Something I've noticed now that I'm looking closer at this: the NPK shown on bags of OF and HF really aren't that dissimilar, but they definitely show that OF is just slightly higher in Nitrogen than OF. More interesting? HF has a full complement of mycorrhizae blended in, whereas OF doesn't list or mention any that I've found....

Back