Okey to use seedbanks strains to do my own strains?

Catch-22! Damned if you do and damned if you don’t. I believe that yes it is ok to use breeder seeds to make your own strain. Let me clarify! You shouldn’t grow and reverse a strain to get seeds and then call them your own And no, it’s not ok to profit from it. From what I’ve seen, most if not all the small time breeders and some that have gone commercial (small scale) have and do use seeds/genetics from the big breeders… if not, how do they get the genetics? I believe at least 3 on this site have used big breeder genetics to make crosses. Then they work the strain in question til the unfavorable genetics are gone(mostly) and the traits they are looking for come to the surface. Further working stabilizes them. Then the testing phase to see how stable and how many phenotypes arise. I am currently using STS to reverse a pinky t auto purple pheno and will dust a Seedstockers thunder banana. I don’t believe this is wrong… I will not be selling or profiting from this cross but if I like what I see I will work it and stabilize it and I may give it a name. It’s no one else’s cross. And the end product prob won’t even resemble the original parents. If we don’t use others genetics, where will we get them. I am not traveling to another country to get a mostly raw strain, smuggle it back to the home and start from scratch. Most of the work has been done decades before and I am sure most desirable strains that are raw and unused have been found and crossed and worked. This is where most of our generations strains came from. There are no “new” pathways we can take down that road… and 98% of the genetics we see today are crosses. Check all the boxes though, if there is a particular strain(s) by a particular breeder(s) you like… reach out to them and ask. That’s all you can do. If they say no then do what’s in your heart. As an example, Skunk #1… the original from Sensi seed bank. That strain was made from different strains crossed and worked til release. Then others took that strain and crossed with other strains to make other crosses and strains. Got to seedfinder.eu and check some strains out. They will give the rundown on the original genetics and how it came to be the strain you have now. Those old breeders are the giants that provide the strong shoulders we stand on now and almost every breeder, large or small have used these genetics to make new strains. It’s the money thing that makes a mess of it. Like I said catch-22

Sorry to throw gas on a fire but until trademarks for strains are recognized, it’ll be the Wild West where the good guy in the white hat won’t cuz it’s unethical and the black hat bad Bart will use them and try to profit from it… which one are you?

It is humorous and ironic that some of the same kind of people who scream and cry about BiG AGRIBUSINESS patenting wheat seed variants and GMO stuff or Harvard patenting a breed of rat, yet they think that pot strains should be similarly protected. :biggrin:

Sorry to throw gas on a fire but until trademarks for strains are recognized, it’ll be the Wild West where the good guy in the white hat won’t cuz it’s unethical and the black hat bad Bart will use them and try to profit from it… which one are you?
Bart because he has the money. White hat guy doesn't even own a home. He has a mangy horse and a moth eaten bedroll and has to survive on dried beans and hardtack. .

How am I "derailing" the thread. My answer to the question is yes, it is okay.

With lots of shallow snark:

But I thought that everything should be free/open source?
So what I have gotten out of this thread is that there are indignant rat breeders and ethical drug dealers.
Funny how people say everything should be free to all and yet say stuff should also be protected.
Yes. but those are legal arguments. Pot is illegal, at least in the context of the government that protects intellectual property rights, so it has no legal IT protections. .
Thats silly. Of course it should effect your "moral" decisions, I am just pointing out the irony of people talking about "moral"
decisions related to what is still criminal commercial activity..
Seems like time better used for something else.

Yeah, we get it. Weed is still illegal in most places, and doesn't have legal protections against people blatantly ripping off other breeders' work. That's not what this thread is about, though, and after dragging it back to "but people say everything should be free, lol?", "but those are legal arguments and it's illegal" kinds of stuff enough times it stops being missing the point and starts actively derailing discussion. Please stop.

No matter what, if you don't post it, no one really knows shyte...it all boils down to you own individual moral compass..........so basically it's a moot point that really isn't worth discussing.

Future mayor of miami, lol..

Jeez...10 years and then they want to scrub their image.....fvcking humans

@Atomic Phaze ..we have had to unapprove your post because it breaks site Rule......But...we can empathise with your position.

There is a Site that allows fellow enthusiasts to share crosses they have grown....I'm trying to find a name for you.

Good Luck... :headbang:

Back