Okey to use seedbanks strains to do my own strains?

It’s all open for whatever you want to do with them man. The only thing is if you’re gonna make something you gotta work that strain to make it better and or stable along the generations. Unless you want to just pollen chuck which is just making seeds to make seeds

I think you probably should have multiple generations on your own strains before you try to call them your genetics.

The cannabis breeding scene is kinda wild to me in that it seems most people just cross whatever without any communication or permission with the breeders in the strain's lineage. I bred rats for years and in that fancy breeding others' lines without their blessing (which basically meant you had been deceitful in order to obtain them in the first place) was basically grounds for excommunication from the community. It may not be a requirement with cannabis but IME being able to get information/history/etc of the genetics you're working with can be invaluable, even if there isn't a need to ask for their consent.

So, a question about making seeds...

Would it be fair if i selfed/crossed different breeders strains and called them for whatever i want and also put my name behind them?

You could do it .. but it's not very ethical riding on the back of someone elses work and claiming it's your own.

Take Full Duplex for example of a stand up breeder - He's been working his lines, selecting the best from hundreded of plants for many generations of the plant to get the traits he's looking for. It takes years.

I imagine if i'd done all that work, and someone came along and crossed my hard worked strain with a random fashion strain and made lots of money from it - i'd be pretty annoyed.

It would be a bit like you slaving away in the kitchen all day - preparing the perfect meal for your wife or girlfirend and being really proud of it ... and then me Creeping in ... putting a bit of parsley on top, serving it up to the mrs and saying ... "look at this delicios meal i've prepared for you .... it took all day ... "

And then her sayin "oh Blue .. you're such a legend .. you work so hard!!"

And you'd be like GRRRRRRR - I made the tasty meal!!

;rofl: :rofl: ... Kinda!
:pighug:

Edit: Saying that .. i also think it's fine to make for your own person use or to share with friends, but not commercially!

I think if you want to work with someones lines - you should ask permission from the breeder first,, and if it's going to be commercial, come to a financial arrangement with them that you can stick to!

:d5:

Yes once you buy a pack it is yours to do what you want with it.
What is Unethical is making a Copy and using same name and not atleast crediting breeders also.

Lots of people do this. Capulator was just popping like 10 packs of something for a pheno hunt to breed with from some other breeder.

Differing opinions on this. Also, it seems as if time has changed what 'used to be'. Twenty years ago, many people made F1's, named them, and traded freely, without a group of people coming down on them harshly. The more 'money' that got involved, people got more bitchy. Even at that, do you REALLY think that all the breeders of the old great F1's asked for permission? The circles that i ran with (lol) actually expected that crosses would be made. Some of those name seedbanks started out with freebies from these groups. So, i often wonder why some of them got so greedy with 'their' work. My opinion is that if it is so special, then keep the damn thing to yourself.

F1 generation, can be a grower's gem. Most anyone with any genetics experience knows this. I don't see why this has to be taken several generations, before offering to people, as long as the person that is receiving has the info that it is F1 cross of two certain strains. It might be helpful to have the prior breeders' specifics...such as it was from 'A''s sativa version of White Widow, etc. Yet, no, i don't think that a breeder is obligated to tell the lineage, either.

Yes, the said F1 cross should be tested, as in grown out many. Personally, i have no qualms about people gifting or selling F1's. I have no problems with people selling or breeding with 'super secrets', either. As far as i'm concerned, if a person is selling without a contract, then the buyer has freedom to do as she wills. If a breeder is offering to the world, then let the world use it.

I went about twenty years before ever thinking about BUYING a bean. (well, okay, i did lust a couple hundred times) The Spirit of Cannabis is often said to be a spirit of kindness, compassion, and generosity. Would hardly believe it in today's world.

One of the perks of being old, is getting to do a 'good ol days' rant...

But I thought that everything should be free/open source? :crying:The whole hippie model collapses when serious money is involved. What is different about weed is that it is still illegal in the Federal system and the Feds are the ones who control/enforce intellectual property rights. So steal all you want. Nobody can really do much about it. (sarcasm font) :smoking:

Differing opinions on this. Also, it seems as if time has changed what 'used to be'. Twenty years ago, many people made F1's, named them, and traded freely, without a group of people coming down on them harshly. The more 'money' that got involved, people got more bitchy. Even at that, do you REALLY think that all the breeders of the old great F1's asked for permission? The circles that i ran with (lol) actually expected that crosses would be made. Some of those name seedbanks started out with freebies from these groups. So, i often wonder why some of them got so greedy with 'their' work. My opinion is that if it is so special, then keep the damn thing to yourself.

F1 generation, can be a grower's gem. Most anyone with any genetics experience knows this. I don't see why this has to be taken several generations, before offering to people, as long as the person that is receiving has the info that it is F1 cross of two certain strains. It might be helpful to have the prior breeders' specifics...such as it was from 'A''s sativa version of White Widow, etc. Yet, no, i don't think that a breeder is obligated to tell the lineage, either.

Yes, the said F1 cross should be tested, as in grown out many. Personally, i have no qualms about people gifting or selling F1's. I have no problems with people selling or breeding with 'super secrets', either. As far as i'm concerned, if a person is selling without a contract, then the buyer has freedom to do as she wills. If a breeder is offering to the world, then let the world use it.

I went about twenty years before ever thinking about BUYING a bean. (well, okay, i did lust a couple hundred times) The Spirit of Cannabis is often said to be a spirit of kindness, compassion, and generosity. Would hardly believe it in today's world.

One of the perks of being old, is getting to do a 'good ol days' rant...
I remember the Luke character from Gilmour Girls ranting about a Revolutionary War re-enactment.. He said something to the effect that the good old days were just as crappy, only without indoor plumbing. I guess that in our case, it would be crappy only without auto seeds and high quality LED lights. :biggrin:

Thank you all for your answers :toke:

When i wounder about something i like to ask multiple peoples about it to get different point of views, and then i go with what seems to be the most correct within myself.

In this case i believe it’s most correct to ask for permission if the breeder/seedbank itself is correct, as one have to respect each others work.

I believe a good breeder would be happy if someone did a truly better plant of their work, but before one starts to work i think it could be a good idea to pinpoint something on a strain that is needed/could be better and then ask for permission to fix, repair, create it.

And of course the money that’s involved, that little thing that could make people greedy and aggressive :shooty:

I would say it’s complicated depending on who’s on the other side but if it’s a fair play it’s always a share at least from my side.

On a side note, growing up when we traded freely before seedbanks were a thing, I can recognize the hard work that goes into a special line....When I give over to my friend to sell, it's already parsed up and every bag has the strain name and seed source...sometimes even the breeder if I know it.
Black strap
Gnome Genetics
Full Duplex

Acid Patch Kids
Old Sage Seeds
Feedback is that it's very well received and a few people have looked em up......If it leads to more seed sales for them, great, they stay in business longer.
Thinking about a bottom line reading AFN.net if the powers that be are OK with it..

Back