Mephisto Genetics One Last Grow: Mephisto's Wedding, Chemdogging & Strawberry Nuggets

Update: We have germination! :woohoo: When I checked 12 hours ago, only Mephisto's Wedding had sprouted. A few minutes ago, I went to give the pots a misting, I noticed the Chemdogging had also sprouted and the Strawberry Nuggets has just started to pop through the medium. My spray bottle has the same mix that I pre-charged with,.1.2 gram of Mega Crop per gallon, (I know many start stronger, but I've burnt new babies in the past using 2 grams per gallon). 5ml of Cal/Mag+ per gallon. and 2 grams of the old SM-90, (I still got about a quart left after they stopped making it). I'll be adding Recharge & Silica Blast around day 14. Here's a pic of the babies along with a pic of their future home. I've added a drain pan so I don't have to worry about using drip pans anymore! Thanks for stopping by and happy growing! :pass:

View attachment 1541545
View attachment 1541546
interesting "lids" have to get some at the gas station

Thanks - just tried again 3 no germination - Hey ! got a Seed Started Mat by "ShopCoda.etsy.com" Please take a look an tell me what you think - got the small one #12.00
I think with how many problems you've been experiencing I'd say it's likely more the method at this point than the seeds. Even tough seeds should have a 50% germ rate.

Sounds like you're heading into the right direction.The heat mat is a good start. I always use a humidity dome with jiffy pellets to keep my humidity at 80-90% and then a heat mat with a vivosun temp controller to keep it at 80°F at the pellets. The water+heat help maintain the humidity as well. I've had a 95-99% germ rate with this method. Once I see a taproot it gets transplanted. I don't bother soaking or scraping just direct plant into prepped jiffy pellets. Hope that helps!

Sorry @Need4Weed didn't mean to hijack the thread!

Thanks - just tried again 3 no germination - Hey ! got a Seed Started Mat by "ShopCoda.etsy.com" Please take a look an tell me what you think - got the small one #12.00
So many methods for sprouting seeds, a new grower could go crazy ... and I've tried most of them all. Moist paper towel on the cable box, (to delicate of a job transferring for clumsy me). Jiffy pellets & plugs, (too easy to over/under water). Solo cups, (did it for a long time with varying success). Planting directly in final pot after soaking seed for 24 hours. Winner winner, chicken dinner! Doesn't work every time, but seems to work as good as anything else I've tried with a lot less hassle. Only thing is I let my seeds just float at the top, I don't sink them. Just my 2 cents! :pass:
interesting "lids" have to get some at the gas station
I use to put clear tape over most of the hole, but lost more due to damp off Better off leaving the hole open! for air exchange. I remove the lids around day 10, until the sprout touches the inner lid. :pass:

Sorry @Need4Weed didn't mean to hijack the thread!
I don't mind, post all you want! How else we going to learn and exchange info! :pass:

.The heat mat is a good start.

The seed starter mat he is talking about is not a heat mat and is actually recommended not use with a heat mat. it is a pouch that you moisten and put the seeds in like the paper towel method but with out the towel. I have one that he sent with a order it’s nice works I’m used it once but don’t use that method any longer

image.jpg
image.jpg

o many methods for sprouting seeds, a new grower could go crazy ... and I've tried most of them all. Moist paper towel on the cable box, (to delicate of a job transferring for clumsy me). Jiffy pellets & plugs, (too easy to over/under water). Solo cups, (did it for a long time with varying success). Planting directly in final pot after soaking seed for 24 hours. Winner winner, chicken dinner! Doesn't work every time, but seems to work as good as anything else I've tried with a lot less hassle. Only thing is I let my seeds just float at the top, I don't sink them. Just my 2 cents!

I don't sink my beans either and if they do sink it is time to plant IMO a seed can drown/suffocate very easily I soak for 3-5 hr max in kelp and humic after a quick shake in a seed scuffing tube then straight to final home.. Since using this method I have had a very successful germination rate I won't say 100% but it is pretty consistent for me

Looking forward to the grow N4W :d5::pop:

I don't sink my beans either and if they do sink it is time to plant IMO a seed can drown/suffocate very easily I soak for 3-5 hr max in kelp and humic after a quick shake in a seed scuffing tube then straight to final home.. Since using this method I have had a very successful germination rate I won't say 100% but it is pretty consistent for me

Looking forward to the grow N4W :d5::pop:
I believe scarifying a seed before soaking is a great way to increase germination rates, especially with older seeds. I had an old matchbox with a small piece of emery cloth rolled up on the inside. Just drop in a seed and shake it up, lol. Since then I've been known to rub then gently on a nail filing board to scar them up a bit! Anyways, thanks for following along and feel free to chime in anytime! :pass:

Update day 3 and there's not much to report. I did remove the dome lids earlier today and I added a humidifier to combat the dryness. Which reminds me, I forgot to turn the tower fan on to toughen them up a bit. I'll be adding Silica Blast the next time I mix up a bucket of nutrients, (prolly this weekend). Btw, I'm starting the girls under 3X AutoCobs at 30 inches. PPFDs are 450. The little 1 finger leaves are looking kind of gnarly, but I hope things will smooth out after I get the environment dialed in after removing the lids. Plus, it got a little chilly in there from a constant 80 down to 70 while I was setting up the humidifier. Anyways here some pics and thanks for stopping by! :pass:

Mephisto's Wedding
IMG-WED-_20221130_232017.jpg

Chemdogging
IMG-CHEM-_20221130_232021.jpg

Strawberry Nuggets
IMG-S-N-_20221130_232012.jpg

Last edited:
Update day 6 Houston we have a problem! :doh: All the new babies have some leave twist and slight browning on the cotyledon leaves, (had to look up the spelling on that one, lol). I usually start seeds under my California Lightworks Solar Extreme 250 @ 30 inches, but it was way in the back of my storage building, so I grabbed 3 autocobs instead & I thought they were at 30 inches over the sprouts, but they were closer to 28 inches. So I'm guessing/hoping that too much light was the problem. I raised them up to 32 inches and after checking with a PPFD app on my phone, (lux meter that does the conversion for you), and it's reading 400 right now. I know it's not exact science, but it's suppose to be a pretty good guesstimate. I hate starting a new grow off with a hiccup, but I guess you can't fix stupid. :rofl: Well anyways, at least the 1st set of true leaves are looking ok & I think the Chemdogging was the least effected by my blunder. Here's some pics and thanks for stopping by! :pass:

Chemdogging
IMG-CD-_20221204_141219.jpg

Strawberry Nuggets
IMG-SN=_20221204_141128_2.jpg

Mephisto's Wedding
IMG-MW-_20221204_141214_2.jpg

Update day 11
All the girls seem to have bounced back from the early hiccup, although Strawberry Nuggets looks the worse for wear and tear! I can't wait for her to grow enough to defoliate the ugly leaves! :crying: I gave them their first feeding of Recharge this past Thursday @ half strength and they seemed to have taken it well. I seen 1 gnat flying around the grow space, so i'm going to add some Gnatol to the feeding this evening. I hate fuking gnats! I was using Silica Blast @ half strength, but bumped it up to full strength starting today. I've also upped the MegaCrop to 1.5 grams per gallon and I'm adding Cal/Mag+ @ 5ml per gallon. Not much more to report so here's a few pics and thanks for stopping by! :pass:

Mephisto's Wedding
IMG-WedCake-_20221208_142713_2.jpg

Chemdogging
IMG-Chem_20221208_142708_2.jpg

Strawberry Nuggets
IMG=StrawB-_20221208_142721.jpg

Update day 16
The girls are doing well, despite all my efforts! :crying: I gave them a full dose of Recharge earlier today and I like the way they have recovered from the early hiccup. The Strawberry Nuggets is finally starting to take off, I was starting to regret not dropping another seed. I'm currently feeding 2 grams of MegaCrop, 1.5 ml of Cal/Mag +, 2.5 ml of Silica Blast and 2.5 ml of SM-90, (all per gallon). PPMs are at 450 and PH is 5.8. Plus the added Recharge for tonight's feed. I'm not sure how well the Recharge is going to work, because I don't think you're suppose to mix it with SM-90. I believe I read somewhere that it will kill off the microbes. I mean't to check my light intensity with my cheap phone app, but I forgot. The AutoCobs are still hanging @ 32 inches and since I'll be moving the plants soon, so I'm going to leave the height alone for now. Hopefully once I get them moved, I can hook up some drip emitters and use my old Autopot reservoir to save some work. Eventually, I plan to add a timer and let it do it's thing. Here's some pics and thanks for stopping by! :pass:

Mephisto's Wedding
IMG=MW=_20221213_222159.jpg

Chemdogging
IMG=CD=_20221213_222207.jpg

Strawberry Nuggets
IMG=SN-_20221213_222134.jpg

Group Shot
IMG_20221213_222231.jpg

Back