Harvest & Curing One step long hang drying & curing

MIAutomatic

go go coco grow grow
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
I was checking out at the grow shop a few months ago and asked the guys if they had heard of Grove bags, they had not….I briefly explained what they are and suggested that I would buy them if they carried them. One of the guys said, “so it’s like a curing bag” to which I said “yes”. They seemed uninterested and have not started to carry them, but the possibly good advice came next.

One of the guys said that he just cuts his plants down whole and hangs them in a room with temperature and humidity control untouched until he needs them. He said he keeps the room at about 70 degrees and 60% humidity and they dry and cure while hanging. He claimed to have left plants as long as six months and when trimmed were beautifully cured and still had fresh and very strong terpene taste and aroma. I was a bit skeptical, but the guy offering the tip is one of if not the most knowledgeable guy at this shop. He works part time at the shop, part time at a grow operation and also has a private grow that he is still able to sell legally through the states caregiver system. This dude has touched a lot of plants and always seems to know what he is talking about.

I previously wouldn’t have given it as much though since I didn’t have a space I could attempt it, but at the time I was putting in a small room in my basement to use as a wine cellar, and I had a crop of 3BOG that was about ready for harvest. I can easily control the temperature and humidity in the cellar so I decided to try it. I kept the humidity lower, between 45-50% for the first few days to reduce the chances of mold. Then I brought it up to about 60% once the plants had lost most of their weight and were getting almost dry enough to start curing. They have been hanging for almost two months now and have a lovely cure on them, as good or maybe better than any of the fussy jar curing I have done. I am going to trim and put the remaining flowers in jars soon to make room for the next crop, but I plan to leave a few branches to keep the experiment going.

I guess in such an untouched state the plant will stay fresh for a very long time in the right conditions, or so it seems based on this limited experience.

Does or has anyone else tried to dry and cure plants this way? I know this is not an original idea and big grow operations use a, usually much shorter, version of this process. I believe that tobacco also goes through a similar open air dry/cure.

It was easy and worked well so I think I’ll keep it going on the next crop. If you think you have a space where you could pull this off I think it’s worth a try. It feels like the best version of “work smarter, not harder”. The buds are really easy to trim also. At about 60% humidity the fan leaves and sugar leaves snap off with very light pressure and leave a nicely manicured flower with minimal effort.

Last edited:
As a new grower I am trying to learn and master drying and curing for obvious reasons but your post gives me hope because the default environment in my basement is right at 71 degrees and 60 RH give or take a tic so I'm thinking I'll try this out with a plant I just chopped last Friday.

Does or has anyone else tried to dry and cure plants this way?

I did this on my last grow, similar to how you did it based on advice from a couple growers I follow. Worked out well, and I plan to continue with it.

50% humidity for the first 3 days, than 60% for 12 more days. Temps were low 70s. I used a humidity controller and large humidifier to keep it 60% RH 24/7.

I think this method actually works well with grove bags. When you bag up buds that have been "dried" this way, they are perfectly 60% humidity in the bag. This is great for long term storage in grove bags.

I did this on my last grow, similar to how you did it based on advice from a couple growers I follow. Worked out well, and I plan to continue with it.

50% humidity for the first 3 days, than 60% for 12 more days. Temps were low 70s. I used a humidity controller and large humidifier to keep it 60% RH 24/7.

I think this method actually works well with grove bags. When you bag up buds that have been "dried" this way, they are perfectly 60% humidity in the bag. This is great for long term storage in grove bags.
This is a great point about the Grove Bags, it really does create the ideal circumstances for their use. Once the flowers are in the bags they could stay there indefinitely with no further intervention.

This is a great point about the Grove Bags, it really does create the ideal circumstances for their use. Once the flowers are in the bags they could stay there indefinitely with no further intervention.

The bags are worth trying IMO.

After the 14 day hang dry, I put half a plant in a bag and half a plant in a jar.

The half in the jar developed a bit of a leafy black tea smell, probably because I did a really lazy trim job and left a lot of leaf on it. It will probably cure out of that smell eventually, but:

The half in the bag smelled great.

I do think the bags go great with this drying/curing method :d5:

Plus I had great customer service from @Grove Bags here on the forums.

At the very least they are worth a try :thumbsup:

Back