Harvest & Curing Questions about drying

Cannaficionado

Novice
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
So I have a few questions, mostly regarding drying.

1. Ive read and seen it on here pretty much everywhere to dry until the stems audibly snap but dont break off before putting in jars. Is this like a 100% of the time rule?

I ask this because I was going to hang dry for a few days and paper bag for the remainder before jarring but after 3 days the bud were completely dried out and the stems all bend still. And i mean some of the denser buds are so dry I can squeeze them and I have shake... the bigger thicker buds still have moisture but none of the smaller ones do.

2. Is hang drying an effective method in an large open space if Im only drying 1 smallish plant at a time?

Seems like because the humidity in my basement is in the upper 40% range it may be way too dry in my basement to hang dry which Im only doing to keep leaves on and slow down the process.

3. In regards to curing. Im using mason jars and putting them in around 62% rh burping 1 once a day for the first week, for about 20-30 minutes at a time but after that should I only open my jars once a week or if the rh gets to high?

I dry my trimmed buds in brown paper bag for about 3-5 days depending on amount. Once in the jars I check them daily for moisture. If I jarred them too early bag in bag for 12-24 hours

Not specifically mentioned, use digital hygrometer(s) to measure relative humidity. Inexpensive ones can be purchased on Ebay, Amazon, etc.

If "jarring too late," presumably referring to over-drying, you might try to rehumidify by sealing the buds along with some fresh leaves or equivalent.

Otherwise, consider drying a little less, near target, then put the buds in Grove bags.

Last edited:
Not specifically mentioned, use digital hygrometer(s) to measure relative humidity. Inexpensive ones can be purchased on Ebay, Amazon, etc.

If "jarring too late," presumably referring to over-drying, you might try to rehumidify by sealing the buds along with some fresh leaves or equivalent.

Otherwise, consider drying a little less, near target, then put the buds in Grove bags.
I do, but I dont wanna humidify my basement to a 50-60% rh. If I owned my place Id waterproof the exposed wood in the basement but I dont wanna rot the wood down there with too much moisture.

Im just going to paper bag everything till I can get a tent or a makeshift one to use as a drying space. I knew it would go fast and that was the original plan was to dry it out about 50% of the way hanging and bag for the remainder but pretty much over 1 night it went from a little too wet (or maybe it was already too dry) to way too dry. Everything was still soft when I went to work the night before. Then within 12 hours it got dry and crispy.

......I dont wanna humidify my basement to a 50-60% rh. If I owned my place Id waterproof the exposed wood in the basement but I dont wanna rot the wood down there with too much moisture.
Normal humidity rotting wood? Isn't 50%-60% rH the normal, usual level for air conditioning in homes (with lower humidity in winter)? Depending on sources, over 60% is considered "high." I'm sure there are places with higher humidity all or most of the time, such as in the tropics (or in parts of WA, FL, UK, etc.), yet wood used in houses doesn't rot.

Unless you have condensation on the wood in your basement, I doubt it rotting is realistically a concern. One of the source-uncited answers Google provides when asked about humidity and wood rotting states: "If there are no cold-condensing surfaces and the relative humidity (RH) is maintained below 60 percent indoors, there will not be enough water in those materials for mold to grow."[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Back