Resources for learning all about breeding?

beavens

Welcome to the CannaZone
Reaction score
Hola amigos and amigas!

I've decided that I want to have some fun and experiment with breeding. I've done cursory research to figure out the general ideas, but I'd love some deep-dive info that will help me go beyond just pollen chucking. I understand that it's a fairly lengthy process and will be large time sink, but I am game.

So, whatcha got??

Many thanks!:bow:

I'd say look into sources (websites/books whatever you prefer) coming from the legal plant breeding world, not cannabis specific.
all the cannabis specific stuff that a lot of people read is very basic (like only talking about the mendellian recessive/dominant stuff), sometimes even plain wrong use of terminology (like I once encountered some text from one of RC Clarke's books, despite his good reputation in the scene, in that text 'qualitative' and 'quantitative' traits were explained in the wrong way).

to make sense of the general info you need to have a bit of an overview image in your head about plants in general, and what would change specifically for weed.
for example one difference between plants that matters a lot on the breeding strategies used is 'allogamous' vs. 'autogamous'. autogamous plants are plants that naturally self-pollinate most of the time (like beans and tomatoes), so you can easily self/inbreed them, even grow them right next to eachother with minimal crossing between the lines. but the hybridising step might be more finicky (like with beans you have to peel open the flower before it opens).
allogamous on the other hand are outcrossers like cannabis. since they usually outcross they are more likely to suffer from inbreeding depression, and they often have bariers to prevent self-pollination. like seperate male/female flowers which mature at different times, or even completely seperate plants for the sexes like weed.

I'd start off by making sure you understand the mendel-stuff.
then you could for example look into qualitative vs quantitative traits. (qualitative is a yes/no kind of situation, quantitative is a spectrum kind of situation).
then with that and the specifics of the cannabis reproduction cycle (seperate sexes but selfing easy, most traits only scored in female plants, etc) you can look into breeding strategies that are used in other plants and see which you could use and with what goal. (for example, backcrossing is a nice tool, but the way some people in the weed scene use it won't work well. i.e. crossing back to an unstable parent, and expecting to get more stability out of it.)

you can also look into specific traits how they work. like weed is not the only plant product where aroma matters for example.

just some random breeding terms that you could google:
-single seed descent
-mass/bulk selection
-G x E interaction (genotype x environment)
-heterosis (=hybrid vigour)
-introgression (what you do with backcrossing), recurrent parent
- H^2, or heritability
- (specific/general) combining ability

Last edited:
actually pretty simple if you ask me, get some pollen from male plant you like and put it on female plant you like or just let them grow next to each other but you won't have much/any to smoke this way but a ton of seeds. keep 'crossing that cross back' with the best plants (in your opinion) to 'lock in', the traits you like.

More you back cross, more 'stable' it (the traits you like), becomes. I haven't found anything on the topic I would recommend.

I make my own crosses but I don't have the space to do it in an ideal, 'pheno hunting', 'locking in traits', manner. Still happy with the results.

These two are widely available and have solid explanations of lots of breeding techniques and terminology:
  • Robert Connell Clarke's Marijuana Botany
  • Jorge Cervantes's Marijuana Horticulture has a chapter on breeding, written by Chimera / Ryan Lee.
Also, seconding what fryge said about not just reading about cannabis-specific books:
  • Carol Deppe's Breed Your Own Vegetable Varieties is a very good amateur/hobbyist level plant breeding book.
  • Joseph Tychonievich's Plant Breeding for the Home Gardener is a bit more basic than Carol Deppe's book (and defers some details to it) but an easy read.

Back