Sweet Seeds Runtz XL Auto® [NEW 2021]

Sure ;)

First of all (and that's probably what is more confusing) our use of the designation 3G, 4G, 5G… (in Autoflowering) identifies the generational steps and not the generations themselves. We established a new generational step every time the presence of Cannabis Ruderalis genetic in the autoflowering strains is reduced. This reduction usually takes place due to the cross with photoperiod-dependent genetics.

And Sweet Seeds® has been doing this since 2011. You are right when you say that you "only started hearing about Runtz in the last year or so", but if you go to the strain description for Runtz XL Auto® (first post of this thread) you can see that the autoflowering strain that was used as parental to give this strain its autoflowering genetic trait was not Runtz but Sweet Gelato Auto®. The Runtz parental used is a photoperiod-dependent strain.

And so, as the Sweet Gelato Auto® is itself (in regards to our counts of generational steps) a 5th Generation autoflowering strain, by crossing it one more time, with a photoperiod-dependent strain, the % of Ruderalis drops to half of what it was before in the original Sweet Gelato Auto®, hence originating (according to our procedures of counting the generations) a 6th Generation autoflowering strain that we named as Runtz XL Auto®.

-
So it's a female autoflower Gelato reversed onto a female Runtz clone-only. Those progeny would be 25% autoflowering females.

I may be wrong, but it's my understanding that the progeny of that cross would need at least one or two more generations in order to fix the autoflowering attribute into 100% of the population.

That's what has me confused...

Hi again low_and_slow ! :toke:

Sure, you are right. It's just a matter of interpretation of our strain descriptions in the catalog.

In our descriptions for information purposes we only describe the name of the 2 genetics that intervene in the cross (the photoperiod-dependent genetic and the autoflowering genetic). But we do not describe the development performed with the 2 genetics because there is no space in the catalogs and packets to describe all the breeding work performed with each strain.

It is true that in order to get an offspring that is 100% autoflowering we have to go through 2 more generations. The first one gets an offspring of 25% autoflowering (as you correctly mentioned). Then these 25% autoflowering are crossed between them to obtain a 100% autoflowering offspring. But this is not included in the strain (resulting hybrid) description.

Then, although it is true that we don't detail the development work in the descriptions, on the other hand we have it all well explained in our official website, with all the steps thoroughly detailed. As you can see, it is all very well explained in the link that I am leaving below. Just click where it says "More Information" and you have all the information described in topics:

Thanks again and sweet smokes! :pass:

tommy

These were an absolute breeze to grow! As a new grower, I know the first grow can discourage alot of people and these made it an absolute pleasure. They took what I threw at them and had no issues at all. I look forward to your next autos and thank you for these amazing plants!
20220416_090631.jpg
Screenshot_20220414-224036_Gallery.jpg

Back