SCHWAZZING AUTOFLOWER

DISCLAIMER
I'm just getting a topic going and If you decide to try it and don't like the results then don't be blaming me lol

But ive done it & others have too and have liked the results
I see that a lot off people is interested in learning about the method of heavy Defoliation at certain points of a grow. (SCHWAZZING)
So I would like to get a thread going regarding this so people can see the benefits off it and how this method is used to increase yeild and to also help out in other factors too.

I copied and pasted the info below from the THREE A lIGHT Google post
to help people out​

THE ULTIMATE GUIDE TO SCHWAZZING
WHAT IS SCHWAZZING?
A Schwazze is essentially an extreme defoliation. Where 100% of the fan leaves are removed from the plant during specific times of the flowering cycle.

How can trimming and pruning a cannabis plant possibly increase its yield? It’s kind of Yin and Yang if you think about it. On one hand we take away, and on the other, we receive!

Our favorite comparison is working out at the gym. When you break down your muscles through constant repetition and heavier weight, your muscles grow stronger and larger. By removing fan leaves from the plant, we are creating more space for airflow, light penetration, and most importantly, we are refocusing the plant’s energy where it matters most: flower development.

WHY USE THE SCHWAZZING METHOD?
One word: Yield. We’ve found that we can dramatically increase our total yield with just 2 Schwazzes at key points in the flowering cycle. The industry standard yield without Schwazzing is around 1.5 to 2lbs per 1000 watt bulb. With Schwazzing, we’ve been able to consistently produce 3 pounds per light and are seeing results north of 4 pounds per light as we continue to optimize the process.

This leads to savings on all fronts, you can generate the same amount of cannabis from a smaller area, meaning you need less space to grow. Energy is saved as you’ll produce so much more per square foot.

If you’re looking for a corporate board room description: Schwazzing allows the plants’ resources to be more effectively allocated. Think of it this way, every single leaf and bud on the plant is pulling nutrients from the soil, using more water, and requiring more light. With a good Schwazze, you reallocate these resources to provide them where we want them most, in the buds.

WHY DOES SCHWAZZING WORK?
Schwazzing works for multiple reasons. The more you think about why this is helping, the more it makes sense. It seems counter-intuitive and destructive at first, but it’s a process that naturally trains the plant to produce more.

A Schwazze will provide the optimum light penetration through the canopy. This increases airflow and light to the lower nodes on the plant. You are essentially eliminating all shade spots. Allowing the energy to focus on the tips instead, where it needs to be focused for more flowering.

The increased airflow provides the plant with a much stronger O2 and CO2 exchange. Basically, it lets it breathe!

In addition, Schwazzing eliminates homes for pests and mildew that can ruin your plants.
IS SCHWAZZING THE SAME AS DEFOLIATION?
Although the idea is similar, defoliation is almost never taken to this extreme of a level. Defoliation is a process that has been used for centuries for many different plants and helps to achieve higher crop yields, it’s even used to produce cotton.
SCHWAZZING IN A HOME GROW SETUP
Schwazzing began in a home grow setup and can be used very effectively on a small scale. Schwazzing has also been scaled up to accommodate larger commercial grows as well.

The only tools you will need are a sharp pair of scissors and patience.
HOW DO YOU SCHWAZZE?
Before we go too deep here, let’s get a little disclaimer in. Schwazzing is a method that can either help you deliver your highest yield ever, or cause plant lock and hermaphroditic plants. Please proceed with caution!

You probably have the basic idea now, trim away the fan leaves. Be advised timing, approach, quantity, and nutrients all play a huge part in this equation. If these exercises aren’t executed properly you can ruin your crop.

You can use this method if you have a hydroponic setup.

If any one would like to add any pics or info to get this thread going then your more than welcome to.

Last edited:
One of the cool things about this site is the grow journals. Obviously @420autoflower has come up with a way that works for him and has probably been tinkering and working on that for a while. He's got multiple grow journals with consistent results on here. Maybe no tangible data, but pictures and experience do mean something. Humans did manage to grow all sorts of plants for thousands of years without lab testing somehow. But, you'll rarely see anybody on this site saying that anything about growing is "gospel". There's also growers here that have been growing their own genetics for decades outdoors in the Arctic circle, and you probably can't find much scientific info that'll tell you to do that either :shrug:

did you read the post that @420autoflower put up, or just continuing spouting. The results are clear and the results were lab tested...
The science is simple - the same as with many flowering and fruiting plants, it encourages the plants defensive mechanisms to go in to overdrive in turn producing more of what the pant needs to reproduce, and in the case of sensimilla it is increased trichomes which act as pollen catcher, and at the same time reduces the chance of the whole plant being eaten before reproduction.

Very simple science - but, no doubt with your encyclopedic knowledge of a plant that has been cultivated for thousands of years, you dont need to learn - horses for courses :pass:
ouch! you're so mean!

lol. i love you true believers. so clever. you didn't say anything i haven't read, there are too many thoughts to spend time going over it with you. as i know you'll simply have questions that you expect me to answer and frankly, you are a smartass and know just enough to sound smart in a room full of people who don't have a clue. jsut curious, how old are you? i have a theory.

plenty of people know more about the science of growing weed than i do. but it sure isn't you sweetheart.

and yes i read the info. oh my god such scientific info. read the article i posted, it's got a few ideas of how to do it for real. i grew a couple more ounces per grow every few grows. had nothing to do with magic, just practice, practice, practice. i could have claimed it was a miracle way to grow that i invented but i'm not a liar. except to girls of course. you're one of those clowns i've mentioned, i don't believe something that you think is fact. so you try to goof on me. no reason to get mad about it bud, maybe vape some of that fine green you grow and mello out.

and yeah, the plant has been cultivated for thousands of years. but just lately has anybody been smart enough to massively increase yields by cutting off all the fan leaves. duh

i don't believe boys can become girls either. come at boys/girls/whatevers
please elaborate - I am sure it will be as enlightening and helpful as everything else thus far
by the way, since you are such a knowledgeable grower, probably a master grower with a 100 grows under your belt, why isn't everybody cutting off all their fan leaves? teach me mouth! i loves to learn.

Stressed I don’t want to argue with ya I would much rather welcome you to the forum. I love seeing others grows. Post some pics of your stuff. Try being apart of this community. Check out 420’s stuff. He is an amazing grower.

young people know all and are very snarky about it. older people are just assholes. :)

Based on that I must assume you class yourself as middle aged?

Anyhow, most importantly, that is based on? The type of science that you assert disassociation with? Please do provide the observation, hypothesis, the test criteria, predictions (which I must assume is what you have provided in your "theory"), and of course, most importantly the results and if available against which variables

since you are such a knowledgeable grower, probably a master grower
And you sir, are too funny

@Born slippy apologies for bombing your journal, bored now anyway..."unarmed, wits"...can't quite remember how the saying goes in my old age

Stressed I don’t want to argue with ya I would much rather welcome you to the forum. I love seeing others grows. Post some pics of your stuff. Try being apart of this community. Check out 420’s stuff. He is an amazing grower.
pics of my first auto grow which was a couple months ago. i grew regular seeds for most of the time as i always wanted to make some spare F2 beans.

i'm only allowed 6 in flower and 6 in veg. with autos, i need to throw some fem seeds into the veg tent.

1674605810130.png

1674606324073.png

1674607172958.png

these were my first fem seeds. 3 xs2000s. i now use a KS 5000. she's bright.
1674607221424.png

i have grows in a few grow boards. when they killed overgrow, i lost much of my earlier work.
apollo 11 and bubble gum. smells like teen spirit! | International Cannagraphic Magazine Forums

and this is what happened to most of my stash of pics.
picture stash - nothing to see here | Rollitup

current seed stash
1674607588499.jpeg

Last edited:
Back