SCHWAZZING AUTOFLOWER

DISCLAIMER
I'm just getting a topic going and If you decide to try it and don't like the results then don't be blaming me lol

But ive done it & others have too and have liked the results
I see that a lot off people is interested in learning about the method of heavy Defoliation at certain points of a grow. (SCHWAZZING)
So I would like to get a thread going regarding this so people can see the benefits off it and how this method is used to increase yeild and to also help out in other factors too.

I copied and pasted the info below from the THREE A lIGHT Google post
to help people out​

THE ULTIMATE GUIDE TO SCHWAZZING
WHAT IS SCHWAZZING?
A Schwazze is essentially an extreme defoliation. Where 100% of the fan leaves are removed from the plant during specific times of the flowering cycle.

How can trimming and pruning a cannabis plant possibly increase its yield? It’s kind of Yin and Yang if you think about it. On one hand we take away, and on the other, we receive!

Our favorite comparison is working out at the gym. When you break down your muscles through constant repetition and heavier weight, your muscles grow stronger and larger. By removing fan leaves from the plant, we are creating more space for airflow, light penetration, and most importantly, we are refocusing the plant’s energy where it matters most: flower development.

WHY USE THE SCHWAZZING METHOD?
One word: Yield. We’ve found that we can dramatically increase our total yield with just 2 Schwazzes at key points in the flowering cycle. The industry standard yield without Schwazzing is around 1.5 to 2lbs per 1000 watt bulb. With Schwazzing, we’ve been able to consistently produce 3 pounds per light and are seeing results north of 4 pounds per light as we continue to optimize the process.

This leads to savings on all fronts, you can generate the same amount of cannabis from a smaller area, meaning you need less space to grow. Energy is saved as you’ll produce so much more per square foot.

If you’re looking for a corporate board room description: Schwazzing allows the plants’ resources to be more effectively allocated. Think of it this way, every single leaf and bud on the plant is pulling nutrients from the soil, using more water, and requiring more light. With a good Schwazze, you reallocate these resources to provide them where we want them most, in the buds.

WHY DOES SCHWAZZING WORK?
Schwazzing works for multiple reasons. The more you think about why this is helping, the more it makes sense. It seems counter-intuitive and destructive at first, but it’s a process that naturally trains the plant to produce more.

A Schwazze will provide the optimum light penetration through the canopy. This increases airflow and light to the lower nodes on the plant. You are essentially eliminating all shade spots. Allowing the energy to focus on the tips instead, where it needs to be focused for more flowering.

The increased airflow provides the plant with a much stronger O2 and CO2 exchange. Basically, it lets it breathe!

In addition, Schwazzing eliminates homes for pests and mildew that can ruin your plants.
IS SCHWAZZING THE SAME AS DEFOLIATION?
Although the idea is similar, defoliation is almost never taken to this extreme of a level. Defoliation is a process that has been used for centuries for many different plants and helps to achieve higher crop yields, it’s even used to produce cotton.
SCHWAZZING IN A HOME GROW SETUP
Schwazzing began in a home grow setup and can be used very effectively on a small scale. Schwazzing has also been scaled up to accommodate larger commercial grows as well.

The only tools you will need are a sharp pair of scissors and patience.
HOW DO YOU SCHWAZZE?
Before we go too deep here, let’s get a little disclaimer in. Schwazzing is a method that can either help you deliver your highest yield ever, or cause plant lock and hermaphroditic plants. Please proceed with caution!

You probably have the basic idea now, trim away the fan leaves. Be advised timing, approach, quantity, and nutrients all play a huge part in this equation. If these exercises aren’t executed properly you can ruin your crop.

You can use this method if you have a hydroponic setup.

If any one would like to add any pics or info to get this thread going then your more than welcome to.

Last edited:
Here is one from my last grow , I took a lot of leaf's off as the grow progressed , lower branches and fan leaf's . Right up to the last 2 weeks . Yes it works but timing is the thing .
1690671669205.png
1690671608268.png

I grow thousands of plants at a time. I've easily brought close to 40,000+ cannabis plants to full term commercially now and I run a commercial cannabis grow currently in Colorado.

I'd be more than happy to answer any questions you have about schwazzing plants.

That said, you WILL kindly watch your mouth when you're a guest on this forum. You've been insulting to multiple members here for no reason, and no one gives a shit about your justifications of acting that way. Being a rude asshole will get you booted from this forum; this is your only warning and I was hesitant to even give you that much.

Okay, I read through this entire thread today…love you folks :pass:; except the troll in the middle, though I think they were almost worth it for the response of @Son of Hobbes setting the tone for the forum, into perpetuity :rofl::toke:

…question for everyone on the subject at hand; I go seed-to-harvest in soil/water only, and always have RH issues in flowering, so this schwazzing of plants interests me. However, because I don’t feed, it is my understanding that the consumption of fans (towards end-of-life/harvest) is for nutrients the plant needs, but is no longer able to get in my grows due to using <5 gallons of soil. Don’t really care about yield, I already am trying to keep plants small, but this would help a lot with my environmental issues, if it is not at the expense of potency (for me)…? :baked:

This is completely in your alley @NORBY . Teach the guy, why don't you :cheers:
My 5 cents worth...You can always topdress your organic soil with some worm compost or other organic nutrient rich substrate. If you leave the worms they will distribute it for you 👌

Okay, I read through this entire thread today…love you folks :pass:; except the troll in the middle, though I think they were almost worth it for the response of @Son of Hobbes setting the tone for the forum, into perpetuity :rofl::toke:

…question for everyone on the subject at hand; I go seed-to-harvest in soil/water only, and always have RH issues in flowering, so this schwazzing of plants interests me. However, because I don’t feed, it is my understanding that the consumption of fans (towards end-of-life/harvest) is for nutrients the plant needs, but is no longer able to get in my grows due to using <5 gallons of soil. Don’t really care about yield, I already am trying to keep plants small, but this would help a lot with my environmental issues, if it is not at the expense of potency (for me)…? :baked:
I grow in water only organic no till pots. I have played with the schwazze tech a few times. What I have found works the best for me is to spread out the defol over several days to a week, instead of removing everything in a single session. I feel like this helps the plant switch gears smoothly when running water only grows. As opposed to other styles where you can adjust your feed every day. But the biggest factor for me, I think, is trying to nail the timing of the schwazze just perfect, and knowing what to leave alone. This is simething that has to be learned thru doing, and I’m still pretty new at the schwazze tech. Spreading it out seems to be both more forgiving, and more intuitive as I watch things during the several days to a week I spread out the defol. In the end, I’m in the same place as using the legit schwazze tech, it just takes more time to get there.
As far as leaves being food/nutes for the plant to consume, do you get lots of fade and fall colors on your fan leaves? If not, then you arent using whats stored in the leaves anyway, which is pretty common for water only soil grows. They tend to finish pretty green and vibrant without any leaves to pull nutes from.
As others have said, top dressing vermicompost can make a 5 gal work like a 7 or 10 gal.
Just my $.02
Cheers
Os

If you got high RH and are feeding with amendments then removing a load of ignorent light blocking leaves will do you wonders,

got high RH and are feeding with amendments then removing a load of ignorent light blocking leaves will do you wonders,
High RH is my bane; but I do not feed.

I do prune for airflow a lot these days:

IMG_20231222_103927224.jpg
IMG_20231226_082335695.jpg
IMG_20231227_084841456.jpg
IMG_20231228_080746007.jpg
IMG_20231228_080759938.jpg

do you get lots of fade and fall colors on your fan leaves
Generally, yes:

IMG_20231025_082037580_HDR.jpg
IMG_20231104_090755213_HDR.jpg
IMG_20231106_100139357.jpg

My bitcoins worth…
1st thought is seems like the perfect thing for your needs… i would pull the trigger. Especially since yields aren’t necessarily the tippity top of your goals. I run organic soil blend: with autos i feel like they dont eat as much as when i have done photos that i vegged a LONG time that got top dressing boosters.
I would top dress a week(10ish) ish days -read the plants disclaimer- prior to the sawz…that way *if they need extra nutrition* it is available or will (*should* is possibly more appropriate) be in the next week to ten on the back end.
2nd thought is if you run more than one seed/cutting at a time: -and dont scrog- then split them and conduct some anecdotes for your grow and compare w/swaz’n and w/out and keep good notes for future ‘gut’ guidance.

if you are one to defoliate autos, then i dont see why they wouldnt respond honestly. They are tough little buggers. I dont have synth to compare to but food is food, if they have issues you may need to adjust some things, and the plants will tell ya if that is the deal IME
:toke:

Back