New Grower Second Auto Grow in the Auto Garage.

I missed this earlier..
Did you water these pots already? Organic soil should be treated differently than inert soil-less mixes.. Instead of wet and dry phases, you want to keep the soil evenly hydrated at all times. Not water logged, but evenly hydrated.. Sometimes watering a bit from the top and the bottom helps,,as well as watering 50% then waiting 10 minutes and watering the other 50%... that's what i do (cloth pots) and it works pretty well. Ive not had any issues.
Just a heads up that unless you already watered these pots in when you filled them up, 1 oz isn't enough to do so. You kinda have to water soil like its got a plant in it, even when it doesnt, to keep it going. Especially the top dress!
Looking good!

Organic black strap molasses 1tbsp /gal!!
The ounce just keeps the rice hulls bound to the top soil so they keep in place.

I don’t water very much when the plant first goes in. I usually just give them the same amount as the cup size they get transplanted from when doing regs. So they will get around 12oz the first watering. I try to water around the plant. If it doesn’t cover the pots surface, I’ll come back and spray the top surface with a couple sprays just to get it moist but not sopping. That watering usually gets em the first whole week in the larger pot.

I try to adjust as they grow. I’m gonna try and water only once a week.

I haven’t bottom fed but I will try for the first time with the fabric pots. I threw in a handful of perlite and another handful of rice hulls to avoid soggy bottoms. I could just flood the table...idk.

Those plastic maxxx yield will just get top watered because they are a pita to bottom feed.

The girls got about 1-2 ounces of water today. They are looking a little droopy from watering. I'm not sure if I did the split cup method correctly and allowed for enough air flow. Growth seems to be going slow. They are just now developing a second node. I thought I would be transplanting this weekend, but I thought wrong.
IMG_0816 (1).JPG

IMG_0820.JPG
IMG_0819.JPG
IMG_0818.JPG

as long as you have drain holes youre fine.. if not, it could be a problem.

as long as you have drain holes youre fine.. if not, it could be a problem.
I used a lighter to melt a bunch in, but I'm wondering if they tolerance is too tight between inner and outer cups. The cups don't feel heavy or mushy so my first idea is to bring the temperature up. We had an unusual cold spell that may have slowed them down. I'm going to try a heat mat directly below the cups and if that fails....i don't know really.... I'll probably just start over with single cups and carefully transplant.

I used a lighter to melt a bunch in, but I'm wondering if they tolerance is too tight between inner and outer cups. The cups don't feel heavy or mushy so my first idea is to bring the temperature up. We had an unusual cold spell that may have slowed them down. I'm going to try a heat mat directly below the cups and if that fails....i don't know really.... I'll probably just start over with single cups and carefully transplant.
Nice, i guess a lighter would do the trick just fine, i used scissors and cut little X's in 4 spots on the bottom.

the cups probably arent the issue.. how cold have they gotten? look unhappy for sure. Did you happen to plant directly into your soil mix? ffof is a bit too coarse for good early root development to take place and even without anything else added to it, it can be hot for some seedlings so thats another possibility...

Last edited:
I used to use just ffof and top dress with build a flower...I did have to stay on top of the top dressing and do it often to avoid issues... so then I started just mixing some build a flower in and adding some aeration like you have here, and it got a lot easier... Watering with organic black strap molasses is a good idea as well.. maybe every other watering. I use it more frequently but you really dont need to. If you dont have some barley straw, consider getting some..I generally mulch 2-3 times and bury the first mulch in build a flower when it starts flattening and top dress and mulch again.. the straw breaks down in the soil and the micro life really likes it.
alright... im done lol
GL
Throw some bokashi into that mix

I missed this earlier..
Did you water these pots already? Organic soil should be treated differently than inert soil-less mixes.. Instead of wet and dry phases, you want to keep the soil evenly hydrated at all times. Not water logged, but evenly hydrated.. Sometimes watering a bit from the top and the bottom helps,,as well as watering 50% then waiting 10 minutes and watering the other 50%... that's what i do (cloth pots) and it works pretty well. Ive not had any issues.
Just a heads up that unless you already watered these pots in when you filled them up, 1 oz isn't enough to do so. You kinda have to water soil like its got a plant in it, even when it doesnt, to keep it going. Especially the top dress!
Looking good!

Organic black strap molasses 1tbsp /gal!!
When I fill the pots, I like for the media to be at a "Composting Moisture" level in the tote and keep it at that level until direct seeding or transplanting. And then water appropriately for each planting method until roots are well enough established to fully water. I think that transitional time is shorter than what some think.......especially with direct seeding. That little tap root can really grow!
That's one reason why I'm going to refrain from transplanting anymore. With such a short life span, I think any hindrance or slowing of the developing of the root system lessens the potential of the girl. If you have hot media, just dug a hole and replace with milder media and plant into that.
Very soon I'm dropping 8 seeds and all are going to be direct seeded. Even as big as the one HBSS got, I really didn't like the root structure using the cutout solo cup method.
Girls look like they are ready to take off.
Temp: 72F
Humidity: 60%View attachment 1309572

View attachment 1309574
I tossed all the pots for the two tents in the big tent till the girls are ready. I sprayed an ounce of water into the soil then tossed a handful of rice hulls on top and spread them. They’ll just be in the dark for about a week then I figure transplanting will occur.
Nice start on your grow!!!

When I fill the pots, I like for the media to be at a "Composting Moisture" level in the tote and keep it at that level until direct seeding or transplanting. And then water appropriately for each planting method until roots are well enough established to fully water. I think that transitional time is shorter than what some think.......especially with direct seeding. That little tap root can really grow!
That's one reason why I'm going to refrain from transplanting anymore. With such a short life span, I think any hindrance or slowing of the developing of the root system lessens the potential of the girl. If you have hot media, just dug a hole and replace with milder media and plant into that.
Very soon I'm dropping 8 seeds and all are going to be direct seeded. Even as big as the one HBSS got, I really didn't like the root structure using the cutout solo cup method.

Nice start on your grow!!!
I'm not too sure if it's all that nice. I hate to be a Debby downer in my own thread, but I think i messed up the 2 cup method. They are all kinda stunted out and have stopped growing with vigor. We opened up one of the double cups and found a tap root spiraling around the lower cup. I obviously didn't allow for big enough drainage holes. It's about 4-5 inches long. I'm pretty sure it's not going to transplant. I'm probably just going to cull these and either plant in single cups and transplant or do the dirt replacement. You live and learn I guess.

I'm not too sure if it's all that nice. I hate to be a Debby downer in my own thread, but I think i messed up the 2 cup method. They are all kinda stunted out and have stopped growing with vigor. We opened up one of the double cups and found a tap root spiraling around the lower cup. I obviously didn't allow for big enough drainage holes. It's about 4-5 inches long. I'm pretty sure it's not going to transplant. I'm probably just going to cull these and either plant in single cups and transplant or do the dirt replacement. You live and learn I guess.
Well, if you're sure. You're the one there.
That's a shame!

Back