Seedlings keep dying

One of the hardest things to get right is getting them going good enough to grow......I still have 2 or 3 out of 8 die after popping above soil line. :shrug:

Update: My two seeds planted directly in soil (in the same tent with the same conditions) after a 24 hour soaking just popped the soil looking healthy. It does seem like the paper towel method was causing seedlings to die off.

So some more bad news. Finally got myself some Mephisto seeds. Had my seedlings come up vigorously and grew to about 2 inches then died. I don't over water, the soil is 'moist' at best. My tent humidity is 50%-55% my heat is 76f-78f, pH is 6.4-6.6 - it seems that my environment is dialed in with lots of good ventilation, etc. There is no sign of Damping Off the stems look healthy, leaves are beautiful green no nutes, etc. They just hit 2 inches, look healthy, stop growing, and die.

I started with FFOF soil 3 grows ago. After each grow I re-amend with Gaia Green 444 (1/2 strength) and quality worm castings, let it sit for a month with lots of Mikos etc.

What could be killing my plants? Again, my first 3 grows had zero issues and the conditions were the same. Is reamending soil just a bad idea? In order to eliminate the soil as a culprit I dug out the center of the 5gal pot and put some Promix Seedling Starting organic soil from a new bag, added pumice for aeration, etc. So the same thing is happening in the reused soil AND the new soil.

I should note that this is happening to both photos and autos and from different suppliers.

There has to be something killing my plants it shouldn't be this difficult?

Last edited:
I'd like to help but all I can add is that it just appears there's something you're doing or not doing.

I start seeds every 3 weeks in a perpetual grow in a bathroom open cabinet on a heat mat with no humidity control, it is whatever it is....with di water, in solo cups of bio bizz light mix and never lose a seedling. The only ammendment I ever use is bigfoot mycos, after that, they get nothing else for about 3 weeks.
I just plant every seed, auto and photo, 3/8-1/2 inch deep in moistened medium and leave'em alone. They will get a light watering when the solo cup gets very very light which is several days. I germ every seed under a T5HO and they stay under it for about 2+ weeks, at which time they're transplanted and moved into a flower area. There is no special care other than patience.

My only suggestion is...start 3 seeds and log what you do with each. Changed 1 thing with each seed, therefore eventually eliminating the culprit. Weed will grow like a weed with very little care.

Thanks. I've been growing vegetable seedlings for years with no issues. Spent a lot of time dialing in the environment, etc. So this is really baffling me. The only thing I can think of is a pathogen in the soil? I got into soil because I wanted to re-use it for environmental reasons, but so far it's a costly experiment! Would love to hear from others that re-use their soil and how they deal with pathogens etc.

Seems to be something 'below the surface'. As you mentioned, my first 3 grows i didn't think about anything they just vigorously grew. No issues. Same methods, etc.

Thanks. I've been growing vegetable seedlings for years with no issues. Spent a lot of time dialing in the environment, etc. So this is really baffling me. The only thing I can think of is a pathogen in the soil? I got into soil because I wanted to re-use it for environmental reasons, but so far it's a costly experiment! Would love to hear from others that re-use their soil and how they deal with pathogens etc.

Seems to be something 'below the surface'. As you mentioned, my first 3 grows i didn't think about anything they just vigorously grew. No issues. Same methods, etc.
Well, after noticing fungus gnats in my soil I went old school and sterilized it by baking in the oven. Not for the lazy as it took me 1/2 day to toast it all. But just finished this run and no gnats so it worked.

Using distilled water ph down (TNB naturals) to 6.5 room temp
Wait so let me get this right you ph down distilled water?:yoinks:

everything I have read distilled will quickly go acidic when exposed to air.... I would not think it would need ph down.. Plus distilled water by it self has no buffering capacity IMO phing does very little if anything cause the water will return to it's natural state shortly after watering

Humidity seems low at 50-55% I’m at 70% for first week. I figure since soil is moist at best it would help the plant to absorb water in the air. And I also use distilled water at that stage but have never ph’d it. It never occurred to me to be honest, couldn’t even tell you the ph of distilled water. I’m thinking at 2 inches the roots might be long enough to be hitting dry soil?

Back