Seedlings keep dying

“Moist at best” sounds too dry to me. I start seedlings here in the desert with single-digit humidity & have never had a problem. Probably enough evaporation off the top soil to make up for the aridity.

Just to wrap this up...and thanks for all the help and advice!

I had started a few new seeds a day later the last ones that died. Same soil, same setup. This time they are thriving. The difference? Cranked the humidity, left the humidity domes for 1.5 weeks (with daily burping in morning and evening). That's it. They are now 12 days old and growing their third set of new leaves with visible growth daily.

I know a lot of people say they can grow in dry conditions, but for some reason raising the humidity for longer and keeping the domes on longer than a few days seems to have worked for me.

Cheers.

Just to wrap this up...and thanks for all the help and advice!

I had started a few new seeds a day later the last ones that died. Same soil, same setup. This time they are thriving. The difference? Cranked the humidity, left the humidity domes for 1.5 weeks (with daily burping in morning and evening). That's it. They are now 12 days old and growing their third set of new leaves with visible growth daily.

I know a lot of people say they can grow in dry conditions, but for some reason raising the humidity for longer and keeping the domes on longer than a few days seems to have worked for me.

Cheers.
They'll grow in dry conditions but they gotta get decently rooted first and the temp has to be in a range for a drier humidity to work, it all plays into vpd and stomata opening and closing. Congratulations though excited to see how it turns out!

Thanks! Yeah with the domes off I have my RH at 50% so should be fine for the rest of veg. I'd love to get it higher but I already have 2 humidifiers going in a small room. It's as good as I can get in dry winter.
Definitely ok. 50% rh and temps in the low 70s F idk what it is in Celsius lol

I know this is an older thread, but I wanted chime in. I think you hit the nail on the head with the humidity dome. When I’ve taken the humidity dome off too soon, my sprouts have flopped over and died the next day or two. When I leave the humidity dome on a little longer and acclimate the sprouts slowly, over 3-5 days, they grow great. I usually prop the dome on something to let a little air flow in. Same as burping I suppose. But I’m glad you figured it out @CannadaJ :cheers:

Someone may have already mentioned it, but I had a problem with seedlings popping then dropping. Was using insta transplant solo cups. I soak in a shot glass in spring water with a little H2O2 3-4 drops mixed in and place on cable box for 24 hrs. Then I have tails and plant in jiffy peat pellets and when I have a seedling I plant jiffy pellet directly to final pot.

I’ll drop a tip as well…

Pop the seeds in a glass of water for 6-12 hours (until they sink), then place the seed/seeds in Root Riot’s ->

6855FC8D-56C3-404E-89B5-3A41843B59F9.jpeg

This works every time, at least for me.

Back