Indoor Sinai pheno hunt

A few weeks ago, the Amunet pheno became seeded. I removed her for suspicion, but I think she was hermed on by a Chick Magnet. It was just a lot of seeds and nothing else got knocked up.
20231114_161747.jpg

Anyway now she's on day 64, just into her 9th week. She should go 10 full weeks, but she didn't do well in the place she was exiled to. She's been back in the tent for a few days, and fans are starting to die back into the buds so she got the chop.
20231114_161719.jpg

She really does smell like Turkish delight! A nice rose smell. I have her clone, and if I like the smoke I'll run her again and see if she makes seeds this time. I don't think she will....

Oh yeah, and looking at her trichomes under a microscope, and she's got lots of cloudy, lots of amber, and still a few clear. That tells me to expect diverse cannabinoids!

Good news! This pheno, Amunet, not only the first seed of 8-9 to make it through my gruelling culling process, is also potent and enjoyable smoke! An indication to me that this is a well-worked field strain that won't take long to turn into a stable and reliable indoor IBL.

Okay, now that's weird. Sinai the Min pheno has been on 12s for three weeks. She's the same age as the other semi-autoflower phenos. Yet it wasn't until today that her clone went on flower in a veg room.

I tell you, this is weird. All of the semi autoflowering phenos waited to show the expression until its mother was flowering.

I admit, if I weren't smoking I probably wouldn't have really considered it, but so far they're acting like there's a spooky linkage with photoperiod response. (Looking at this a few minutes later it looks stupid but I'm not trying to explain why it's happening, just that I observed it happening.)

Anyway, bottom line: It would be really cool to explore creating an all-auto line from scratch for this strain. But I'd need a lot of space, and she's incompatible with my current goals.

RIP Min. May your journey through the afterlife be swift and true.
20231119_124642.jpg

Out of 16 (actually 20) phenos I started with, only one passed all of my tests:
  • Although many females were semi-autoflowering, she isn't.
  • A couple females hermed. She didn't.
  • Some weren't suitable for cloning because they weren't developing enough understory. She didn't have that problem either.
  • Not all of the phenos exhibited the "Turkish Delight" rose scent. She has this, mixed with a delightful lavender, to evoke a true bouquet!
  • She's nearly as potent as the hybrids in my tent, and a great evening smoke.
So I consider this first hunt a success. I'm going to breed this clone with males from the seeds I have left and run those next opportunity. I'll also self her to save my improvements.

This is day 50, and the one drawback is that I can't treat her like a hybrid. I overfed her with chicken and goat poop early on and she's been fighting it like a champ the whole time. I flushed her a few days ago and yesterday flushed her really heavily.

20231210_105203.jpg
20231210_105311.jpg
20231210_105253.jpg

I harvested the Khonsu pheno this weekend and got to try it today. The buzz is really nice. Very relaxing, but it only seemed to last for about 45 minutes. That's until I looked at the clock and realized almost three hours had passed. So I smoked some more to be sure.

Aaaaand...I just did. It feels really nice. Potency, I'm not sure. I get a good buzz from about a gram, but feel like another gram is in order. So moreish. But no nervousness, and my ability to function is fine. Just relaxed and euphoric with an undercore of excitement. The definition of happiness. :rofl:

I've been trying to decide whether this is a pheno for the next generation and it definitely is. But my next seed run will probably include other females and males, just to keep diversity up. Its percentage of semi-autoflowering phenos should be much lower, however, so I think I'll be improving the landrace noticeably in the next generation.

The Amunet clone (the one I was most excited about) turned out to be a semi-autoflowering pheno as well (apparently most of them are, which would explain why a lot of people aren't breeding this strain). I wanted to select a few females, but now I'm down to one, Khonsu. But its clone hasn't started flowering yet. So I'm assuming it doesn't have that trait. Until it does.

Amunet was in a one-liter. I let her get completely dry accidentally, to the point of severe wilt and a few dead fan leaves. It wasn't long after that, that I noticed she was flowering . So the behavior could be stress-related.

Khonsu is in a solo cup. She's dried out a few times; in fact, lots of times and no flowers.

With Amunet, I tried defoliating her to see if she'd come back. Since then, about a week ago, she just sits there looking unhappy. So I tossed her into a snowbank.

I think my next step is to pop a bunch of seeds and breed Khonsu with a whole bunch of males. That should reduce semi-autoflowering phenos a little, without losing too much diversity.

Hopefully the trait is female-controlled. 🙏 That would be a good scenario.

Back