Indoor Sinai pheno hunt

Rasterman

Alienated by the War on Drugs
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
Mango Smile
I created a bunch of Sinai seeds and the seeded moms were quite good and didn't cause the munchies for my better half. And the buzz was reminiscent of my morning smoke before I left for the bus stop in the early 80s. I'm wondering, what's this strain capable of? So I just started the most ambitious pheno hunt ever undertaken. By me, that is.
20230804_163818.jpg

That's right... 16 plants! Have you ever seen a hunt of this magnitude? I think not. :funny:

Today I up-potted them to one liter (one got a gallon) pots and promptly put them in direct sunlight on one of the hottest, driest days of the year. They were fine all day, with a few getting a little stress, but not enough to move them.

Final pot size will depend on how many females I get. Currently there's no space for them in a tent, so I'll be trudging them out every morning and back in every evening. Space should free up about the time they start showing sex.

I haven't even numbered them yet, but I'll be spamming this space with details about differences between how they grow, how they smell, and eventually, how they smoke.

They're in Happy Frog and currently getting about 12 hours of very hot, direct sunlight daily, then put in a room with northern windows and a 100W light. You know -- the incandescent light on the ceiling? That one. Just to keep the daylength up.

I hope to get a feeling for how many great, good and lame phenos to expect from this small sample size.

Because test smoke didn't give my wife the munchies and that matters to her, if I don't find what I want in this run I'm likely to try again. I really like the relaxing, care-dissipating nature of the high, and I can make hash oil if I think it isn't strong enough so I'm expecting satisfaction either way.

Come along with me on this journey and let's lay to rest the question about whether this Egyptian landrace deserves any respect.

Last edited:
The first day I put the younger bunch out, it was really hot and all of them wilted. One has yet to recover, and although it probably would eventually, I am hoping to create something if I find some good phenos. I don't want any wimpy genetics in the mix. :lol: Being able to live outside in this mountain climate would be nice. So I decided to cull it. Hopefully it's a male.

So now there are 15.
20230807_061458.jpg

The others are healthy and growing a little while they fill out their root systems.

:bummer:I thought it would be nice to test and find and eliminate the males now. But as is typical in all facets of this industry, sex testing is prohibitively expensive for the home grower. So I'll just have to be patient. One might say if I was serious it's not out of reach and that's true. And I am serious - seriously broke, that is. :funny:

I think when they're old enough I'll take and flip cuttings instead. :cool1: I haven't tried that approach before - I usually find out sex after or closer to transplant to the final pot.

Last edited:
I was thinking they're not growing but when I compare today with a picture from Monday I can see that they are. To give them a boost I topdressed with composted chicken poop. I might have overdone it by that's only a worry later in flower and I'll be up-potting them before then.
20230811_065143.jpg

I moved them indoors a few days ago and they really took off! There's something to be said for CMH and probably even more to say about cold nights and occasionally days as well...
20230821_082311.jpg
20230821_082302.jpg

They'd be ready to up-pot if I had a place to put them. As soon as I can I'll take cuttings and flip them in these pots until they show sex. Then I'll up-pot the females.

I finally put the first specimen in the flowering tent. I might be able to squeeze in another one this weekend, but will have to wait for space to open up for the others. So this is a pretty long-term activity.

This plant is in a five gallon pot, but most of them will probably be flowered in 2 gallon pots to deal with space concerns.

This is the Seth pheno (I'm naming phenos after Egyptian deities on account of this is an Egyptian strain).
20230914_142735.jpg

What are the "Seth" characteristics that make it different from the others? Is there one feature in particular you are after? Plants are looking good and healthy.

What are the "Seth" characteristics that make it different from the others?
Most of them are very similar still at this point. All four parents were identical as well. One or two seem to be less branchy like their parents, and a few more branchy. Stem rubs are similar, and moderately citrus but nothing special. I just gave them names in case one of them is a standout. There are supposed to be two phenos, but I haven't seen the NLD/stretchy pheno yet after about 20 plants.

Is there one feature in particular you are after? Plants are looking good and healthy.
I'm just after good, old-school smoke. If I find that, I'll create an IBL. If not, I'll keep looking. I have loads of seeds and will just keep one or two in my tent until I find something. I don't have anything specific in mind at this point. FWIW, I did a culling a couple of weeks ago and removed the plants that didn't hold up as well to the wind or weren't branchy enough yet at this age to take good cuttings.

A word on this strain: It puts out branches, but puts hard focus on the primary cola. So the lowers don't want to get large. I'm still working out a good training regimen. Probably the best way to grow this strain is SOG. I've never done one due to plant counts, but the second choice would be manifolding. I'm just trying to get these on flower as quickly as possible with a minimum of training. But I'll pick one out to manifold and expect that to work out very well.

Back