Soil (T.A organic light mix), germination and other general questions I have

theBroGro

Still learning the hard way
Reaction score
Hey guys! I've been lurking and reading for quite some time and finally trying some autos out. :headbang:

I was having few questions about my own set now.
I have T.A Organic soil light mix
Is this good for autoflowers as only medium? It is a mix and very light apparently, but I can't find anyone who's used it.
I've got 11l. fabric pots that I was planning on using. How full should I put them?
For some reason I'm now worried this mix is even too light. Am I just overthinking?

I am also starting RQS Sherbert Queen germination, they've soaked in a glass in a dark (23-25C, 40% humidity) for about 18 hours now.
I pH'd the water to 6.1 with some pH down (soft water). Is this range alright? I gathered it needed a bit less than the pH 8.1 my water is.
Not seen any signs of life yet. If after 24 hours still nothing, I'll transfer them to a moist paper and put them in a sandwich box, back to the same space.

Got the T.A (General hydrophonics) TriPart starter kit for soft water too, but wont be using those in a while, at least not until 1 week after she pops out. Also got some calmag and pH stuff. Am I missing anything? Should I consider root boosters and sugars (down the line)?

As for humidity, I've got a 1,6l ultrasonic humidifier, since it is very, very dry here. Before I got it, the humidity was around 20%. I've gotten up to 40%. Is there any worry on using this kind of humidifier?

Gonna use a TS 1000 for this.

Thanks already for all the information I've gotten from here :smoking:

@theBroGro :welcome:Welcome to AFN:welcome:This is a perfect time to learn about watering! Fill your pots nearly full. The more space for roots the better.

What you need to learn about watering will come with practice. Here are the basic rules: Never let the soil dry out. Soil and or coco can become hydrophobic if allowed to dry. This means it repels water. This in turn will create dry pockets in the soil and the roots and microbes will die there. If your soil - coco have accidentally dried out use a surfactant to help re-wet it. I like yucca powder. Don't let soil remain soggy by watering too much too often. Root rot, damping off, molds, fungus gnats and other problems start in soggy soil. When you do water water the entire pot. How to learn when to water starts before you plant the seed. Fill your container with fresh soil/coco and weigh it (heft it) this is the lightest weight and consider it a dry pot. Now slowly water until the soil/coco will no longer absorb the water and run-off begins; weigh the pot (heft it) this is the maximum water, the wettest the pot can get. The difference between wettest and driest is the maximum water weight, for ease of explanation lets just say the water weighs 20 pounds. When the pot loses 10 pounds (half of the water weight) it is time to water again. There is an art to watering.

I don't know what T.A (General hydrophonics) TriPart starter kit ?

@theBroGro :welcome:Welcome to AFN:welcome:This is a perfect time to learn about watering! Fill your pots nearly full. The more space for roots the better.

What you need to learn about watering will come with practice. Here are the basic rules: Never let the soil dry out. Soil and or coco can become hydrophobic if allowed to dry. This means it repels water. This in turn will create dry pockets in the soil and the roots and microbes will die there. If your soil - coco have accidentally dried out use a surfactant to help re-wet it. I like yucca powder. Don't let soil remain soggy by watering too much too often. Root rot, damping off, molds, fungus gnats and other problems start in soggy soil. When you do water water the entire pot. How to learn when to water starts before you plant the seed. Fill your container with fresh soil/coco and weigh it (heft it) this is the lightest weight and consider it a dry pot. Now slowly water until the soil/coco will no longer absorb the water and run-off begins; weigh the pot (heft it) this is the maximum water, the wettest the pot can get. The difference between wettest and driest is the maximum water weight, for ease of explanation lets just say the water weighs 20 pounds. When the pot loses 10 pounds (half of the water weight) it is time to water again. There is an art to watering.

I don't know what T.A (General hydrophonics) TriPart starter kit ?

Thank you so much! :d5:

Very helpful with the watering, I only slightly damped it, mixed and dampened a little more again from the middle.
I will do what you recommended.

EDIT: I am using 11l Fabric pots, I still should fully water and do as you instructed, right?

I've moved the seeds to a container with paper towel, humidity @ 90+% and both are showing tiiiny tails, and cracked! So excited :cooldance:
Transplanting soon!

As for the tripart starter, it's the nutrients from T.A or General hydroponics, this stuff
Amazon product

I made it sound like some starter kit for seeds, sorry.

Edit 2: Should I consider any root boosters and/or sugars, like molasses or bud candy or somesuch?
Should I get an oscillating or static clip fan?

Last edited:
Back