New Grower Spider mites

Reaction score
Was just wondering how big can one get? I killed a tiny red one on the pot 2 days ago, see nothing else at all, checked very closely under leaves! The plant is a bit overfed by nitrogen. Today, I found a weird looking spider about the size of a nickel, crawling on the plastic next to the bucket. It was light beige and black in color, looked like a huge version of the white ones that crawl on leaves. I have no pets or other plants and this was quality soil purchased locally..plant is 3 weeks old but shows zero problems other than my slight overfeed last week. My place has no bugs at all..except for the odd spider always on the ceiling or in the wedge between the ceiling and wall/corners..but never on the floor (I have carpeting), on a plastic sheet. Plus this one didn't look like the ones I kill on the ceiling! Looked transluscent a bit.
Im planning to get diamotecious? earth and spreading around the buckets and on top of the soil. May get a spray as well that contains pyrethrine? I also heard keeping a chive plant in the grow area will keep spider mites away..may do that lol.

spider mites are tiny and will never get nickel size. if you don't see any spider mite damage you probably do not have a problem, however prevention is often the best cure! I would get a foliar spray and spray it on, i prefer neem oil but there are plenty alternatives like homemade insecticidal soap.

Back