Photoperiod Subtropical winter outdoor guerilla grow with Connoisseur Genetics: crosses of Neville's Haze, Thai, SSSDHaze, Mullumbimby, Kariba

My sincerest apologies milady :toke:

That's so cool! I've done it on my Fig tree a couple of times. Even bought the ball like cups to fill with soil to fasten the process, but never though I could use this procedure on my canna plants.
No problem, good sir!

Oh, cool, you have air layering experience!

Most of the pics online are for woody trees not soft stemmed plants, but it's the same principle. You can cut the leaves fairly close to the stem, and lightly scrape the outer layer (can't remember the technical name for it), but don't scrape it too deep, because if you weaken the strength of the branch it'll flop down and get messy. So don't follow the "cut off the bark" type instruction that you commonly see.
I used cotton wool soaked in rooting gel, a little plastic wrap (just made of plastic bag material), and then taped it around the branch above and below, leaving the top tape a little bit open to let some air in. I think a cut down rockwool cube (small, 1" or so), or root riot type cube would work even better though.

I'm afraid the plants are to small to use this procedure on. The shoots do have a second pair of leaves, but that internode is to short and to thin to wrap...

I'm afraid the plants are to small to use this procedure on. The shoots do have a second pair of leaves, but that internode is to short and to thin to wrap...
No problem. I'm just getting too carried away.
I always have brilliant plans for what everyone else should do with their garden.
Meanwhile, mine is the laziest easiest garden possible, hehe.
Doing air layers for 24 plants would take forever as well...

My sincerest apologies milady :toke:

That's so cool! I've done it on my Fig tree a couple of times. Even bought the ball like cups to fill with soil to fasten the process, but never though I could use this procedure on my canna plants.
Have you used those balls yet? I've found you still have to wrap in plastic an tin foil ( at least in my hot area ) or they dry out fairly quickly and kill the new roots. Stopped using them when I figure that out cause it was just an added process at that point.

Have you used those balls yet? I've found you still have to wrap in plastic an tin foil ( at least in my hot area ) or they dry out fairly quickly and kill the new roots. Stopped using them when I figure that out cause it was just an added process at that point.
Yes I did use them and had similar results. The balls are made out of dark plastic so it's not like light can penetrate, but the soil dries out rather quickly and forgetting to water them kills of any roots forming.
Have found that taking cuttings just before winter and storing them in the fridge until February gives me better results. So that's what I did again this year. I've now got about 16 small pieces inside the soil. And these will go in the greenhouse for the next season.

Last edited:
Yes I did use them and had similar results. The balls are made out of dark plastic so it's not like light can penetrate, but the soil dries ut rather quickly and forgetting to water them kills of any roots forming.
Have found that taking cuttings just before winter and storing them in the fridge until February gives me better results. So that's what I did again this year. I've now got about 16 small pieces inside the soil. And these will go in the greenhouse for the next season.
I just replenished my supplies for a big session. Spied a huge pink azalea bush on empty lot and a couple other colors I want to do some layering on. Supposedly down here if you hit em in the spring they can be ready to cut off in a couple months. My Camellia's took 9 months before I was comfortable cutting them.

Spring-Summer Grow Begins -- Maria among the Hazes!

Day 15

It's been a while since an update.
The slightly older seedlings are at the garden.
The younger seedlings at home on the balcony.
During visit to the garden, the inner driveway area has been cleared with weed trimmers.
So some workers have been in there.
But they haven't gone upstairs or into the buildings as far as I can see.
Why?
Maybe they are preparing some work, renovation on this line of buildings.
Maybe they are just doing a standard spring clean up so things don't get too overgrown.
(Whole trees can grow up around here in a year or two...)
I shall observe and keep my distance for a bit and see how things develop...

Lemon 'n' Lime Jones
  • Lemon N Lime Jones = Casey Jones cut x SSSDH cut reversed (8-10 weeks)
At the garden:
PXL_20240405_085109637.jpg

Miss L'n'L Jones is (obviously!) the seedling on the right.

And would you look at that! -- Grail (NLD pheno) has decided she wants another crack at life and is re-vegging! Most of those are just single-leaflet, but the top are three-leaflet. For reference, the two SSSTN are not revegging. Seems that the Grail (NLD pheno) is just more photo-period sensitive -- either total light hours (just over 12/12) or the fact that the light hours are increasing. Either way, very nice, because I'd love any try with her. Maybe let her just grow, maybe take some clones from her too, as there are already a number of growing shoots. Just hope she doesn't overcrowd Miss L'n'L Jones.

At home:
PXL_20240405_095155333.jpg

Still pretty small, but doing okay.

Grail Project (early pheno) x ThaiFrican
  • (Grail Project) NH18 x MM pheno 1 = (NH18 x MM pheno 1) x (NH21 x MML Male) (12-16 weeks)
  • ThaiFrican = Outback Haze 2 clone, being (Hempy's Thai x NH21) x NH36 rev) X (Nevil Haze 23 x Kariba Male) (10-12 weeks)
All of them of them are doing well. Not a huge amount of growth, but they've handled the transplant well, and some heavy winds and a massive downpour over the last week.
PXL_20240405_085100246.jpg

I guess these are the ... nieces and nephews of the re-vegging Grail (NLD pheno) lady above.
Which is very nice, if I get a good male, I can cross him back to her, for a mostly NHz and MM cross.

At home:
PXL_20240405_095150169.jpg

The one in the middle is very short, the rest usual / tall height.

Tempting to talk about phenos from the leaf shape, but, really, at this age... let them get into adolescence at least before we talk about such things.

Still need to get my plan together for planting out the ones still at home.
Given that the SSSTN haven't shown any re-vegging, I may just rip the stumps and use that pot at least.
But still need another pot, or two... lots of these Grail x ThaiFrican seedlings right now, and they're all surviving, haha! Eight of them, so probably four females, give or take.
And with the Grail re-vegging, I don't want to put the younger L'n'L Jones with the older one, not enough space.

Think, Maria, you need a plan!

Peace and Love,
~MJS

Day 22

Grail Project
(early pheno) x ThaiFrican
  • (Grail Project) NH18 x MM pheno 1 = (NH18 x MM pheno 1) x (NH21 x MML Male) (12-16 weeks)
  • ThaiFrican = Outback Haze 2 clone, being (Hempy's Thai x NH21) x NH36 rev) X (Nevil Haze 23 x Kariba Male) (10-12 weeks)
Today the Grail x ThaiFricans, all five of them, went for a little journey.
They now have a new home at a completely different site.
For now, they're hiding in the long grass, and will move to a long term location nearby very soon.
All nicely healthy from their time at home, even with only a couple of hours of light a day in tiny pots.
PXL_20240412_080145535.jpg

You can already see a bit of variation.
Some are taller, some shorter.
Leaf width varies a bit.
The mother was the Grail (fast pheno).
Very sativa and haze, but a polyhybrid so the phenos could be all over the place.
Sounds fun to me, love a range of plants.

Soil is partly local dirt, which has a fairly high clay content ~ 60%.
But that's been mixed in with rice husks for months now ~ 15%, and it's broken the clay right up.
And now some worm castings thrown in ~25%.
Not beautiful, but it should be fine.

I need to prepare a large container / pot for them not far from here.
Might be a bit of an adventure, though, into the wild grasses and bamboos.
Then I'll move these two pots over.

Their growth will start to take off soon.
They'll be getting almost full day sun here, and their roots have space to spread.

The last younger L'n'L Jones which was at home is still on the balcony.
Hope to move her over to the original garden site, possibly tomorrow, let's see.
That is, both L'n'L Jones and the older three Grail x ThaiFrican at the first garden.
And these five Grail x ThaiFrican at the second garden.

Peace and Love,
~MJS

Day 23

Finally have planted out everything at home.
The younger L'n'L Jones has gone with her sister to the main garden.
PXL_20240413_080805661.jpg

Lemon 'n' Lime Jones
  • Lemon N Lime Jones = Casey Jones cut x SSSDH cut reversed (8-10 weeks)
Older Miss L'n'L Jones with Grail NLD re-veg
PXL_20240413_080519462.jpg

Hope one won't crowd out the other.

Close up on the L'n'L
PXL_20240413_080524911.jpg

Younger Miss L'n'L Jones with Grail x ThaiFrican
PXL_20240413_080548469.jpg

I put her here due to space -- it's a bigger pot.
And also the Grail x ThaiFricans are regs, so maybe just 1 female to flower in this pot (plus L'n'L).
PXL_20240413_080557081.jpg

Grail Project (early pheno) x ThaiFrican
Well, you can see them above, but here's another shot:
PXL_20240413_080603207.jpg

Did a bit of leaf tucking, for what it's worth.
A bit crowded, but looking happy and healthy.

Meanwhile ....
Along with re-vegging Grail NLD girl, the two SSSTN girls are showing a little bit of re-veg, too:
PXL_20240413_080636085.jpg

PXL_20240413_080641623.jpg

PXL_20240413_080653595.jpg
PXL_20240413_080658016.jpg

So that's pretty interesting.
I'm just leaving them both to see what'll happen.
Maybe I get to keep the Big Girl SSSTN after all! :love:

Peace and Love,
~MJS

That first pic in the last post doesn't come out, I think the pic file is too big.
Anyhoo, it's just an over-head shot of the whole garden, on the edge of the balcony.
I've got them all up next to each other for now.
But once they need the space I'll just separate them out to give them room to parade themselves.

Back