Sungro Black Gold

Reaction score
I've been using FFHF for the last couple of runs but have a bag of some Black Gold and have some questions. With the FFHF, I didn't add much/or anything to it to start as it was already preloaded with nutrients. Comparing the two, it seems like the BG has less added to the mix? Should I amend the soil with anything to start off or similarly to FFHF, it's already got enough for the first few weeks? If I should amend to start, any recommendations on what should be added? This will be used to fill 2x 3 gallon fabric pots.

I should add, I have dry amendments available such as kelp meal, EWC, Gaia Green 444/284, Dolomite, etc.

Last edited:
I've been using FFHF for the last couple of runs but have a bag of some Black Gold and have some questions. With the FFHF, I didn't add much/or anything to it to start as it was already preloaded with nutrients. Comparing the two, it seems like the BG has less added to the mix? Should I amend the soil with anything to start off or similarly to FFHF, it's already got enough for the first few weeks? If I should amend to start, any recommendations on what should be added? This will be used to fill 2x 3 gallon fabric pots.

I should add, I have dry amendments available such as kelp meal, EWC, Gaia Green 444/284, Dolomite, etc.
There are several flavors of Black Gold which do you have.

Generally speaking treat it just like the FFHF.

There are several flavors of Black Gold which do you have.

Generally speaking treat it just like the FFHF.
It's the organic with Fertilizer but the comparison between the two seems like BG had less fert added.

Which one? They have at least 10 others besides these:

2021-07-09_14-06-45.png

it's that middle one "Natural & Organic", appreciate the help MOG!
There is not really very much in the way of nutrients in that. It is more like a base that you mix a formula into. So to answer your question I think it would be fine to precharge with the kelp and the Gaia and the lime but I have no idea how much because you are working with products that are primarily organic and the availability can vary a lot. Take careful notes and learn from each grow. Here is a recipe that I copied somewhere here?

Someone will be able to point you to where it came from for the rest of the mixing instructions.

2021-03-31_14-53-51.png

2021-03-31_14-54-16.png

There is not really very much in the way of nutrients in that. It is more like a base that you mix a formula into. So to answer your question I think it would be fine to precharge with the kelp and the Gaia and the lime but I have no idea how much because you are working with products that are primarily organic and the availability can vary a lot. Take careful notes and learn from each grow. Here is a recipe that I copied somewhere here?

Someone will be able to point you to where it came from for the rest of the mixing instructions.

View attachment 1341252

View attachment 1341251
Presumably, that mix would be added to some sort of peat based medium. I kinda doubt that our favorite plant would last long planted in that stuff on its own. Have I missed something?

Presumably, that mix would be added to some sort of peat based medium. I kinda doubt that our favorite plant would last long planted in that stuff on its own. Have I missed something?
Yes, @Olderfart I am suggesting that @Duceduck mix something like that into his Black Gold Natural & Organic potting soil.

Haha! Thank you for asking exactly what I was thinking. I've seen that recipe posted elsewhere before and just thought, I've got to be missing something.

Back