Indoor Testing the eazyplug pyramid mini.

This was the small pyramid right?

Ha, I know right? it's crazy. The big one is not a lot bigger, maybe only a couple inches taller, but 10x10 inch base, should be equivalent to a 16-20L pot.

@olbobcat, I cannot stress enough how little input or effort or skill it took from me, no pruning no training. I am also curious to see what the next ones do.

Ha, I know right? it's crazy. The big one is not a lot bigger, maybe only a couple inches taller, but 10x10 inch base, should be equivalent to a 16-20L pot.

@olbobcat, I cannot stress enough how little input or effort or skill it took from me, no pruning no training. I am also curious to see what the next ones do.

If your journaling the next round tag me in plz m8.. this has been epic.. congrats on the harvest :d5: great job :worship:

Same here @The Iconoclast tag me in your next diary. Proper impressed by this.

Qb

@MoG, thanks for the slap, even if politically incorrect these days ;¬)

@Qbgrower Well I have four underway and it looks like I will be growing these continuously in my perpetual journal (in sig) now that the concept is proved. The newest bean on the bottom right will be going into her pyramid tomorrow morning by the look of it. I picked the weakest smallest looking seed out of a bunch of Jack 47XL.

Before I get too excited I'll see how these four work out. What I'm most excited about is that I have future plans for doing some side by side tests that would otherwise just be too cumbersome and space robbing to bother with.

It's insane that if you search the world wide interwebs you find nothing about these at all other than some proprietary info and a couple of videos growing some broccoli, and yet here is this awesome product that I am just discovering in real time like you guys are. I remember after the first couple of weeks or so they looked really healthy with big leaves, then there was a sudden stretch and she looked a bit spindly, I thought this is going to be a bit ho hum. Maybe a quarter of an ounce, then she surprised and delighted me.

It's also making me completely rethink the importance of root structure, I mean we all already know that, but I didn't realise that it was this important. I have lots of tests that I am going to be performing in the future after I see what these next few do.

Whenever I have thought about using some compost in a fabric pot I always have this thought in my mind about the delicate roots how easily they could be torn, and I think that is what is the magical ingredient in these pyramids. Even coco coir or rockwool don't hold superfine root structure in a fixed grid. It's a bit like a bone implant made of titanium foam and the bone grows into the implant. So you have this fixed structure that doesn't move and the roots can just explore these never ending and non collapsing tunnels with their very finest roots, thus being able to absorb nutrients better due to the large surface area and the finer the root the more surface area to cross section there is. That is my theory to explain how well it works anyway.

Attachments

• 4pyramids - 1.jpeg
    4pyramids - 1.jpeg
    392 KB · Views: 78
Mini Pyramid Reprise
As I have become besotted with the mini pyramids it looks like that's mostly what I'll be doing so I will just continue my journey of discovery in this thread, you know it makes sense. It's only a few weeks into my next four but already some clear patterns have emerged and I will comment on my observations.

Lemon Pie which is 32 days today and has really taken to this pyramid malarky, with no sudden stretch like the purple haze and very lush foliage she is looking like a champion. With only 3 pairs of branches I still had to do a bit of careful leaf removal for both light and air, only a few and she looks better for it as all the buds are buried.

Amnesia is now 25 days, a week behind Lemon Pie but at the same early flowering stage, growth has been very much as expected compared to the hydro grow I did, I think that was one that got attacked with the mutant ninja crabs. Whatever, she is very spacious with a bit of a bonsai tree look, the branches are exceptionally bendy, I have ordered some plastic LST branch clips. Some of the lower leaves are beginning to go a bit ratty, but all looks good up top.

Attachments

• LemonPie - 1.jpeg
    LemonPie - 1.jpeg
    322.1 KB · Views: 68
  • LemonPie - 2.jpeg
    LemonPie - 2.jpeg
    405.7 KB · Views: 66
  • LemonPie - 3.jpeg
    LemonPie - 3.jpeg
    322.1 KB · Views: 75
  • Amnesia - 1.jpeg
    Amnesia - 1.jpeg
    413.5 KB · Views: 63
  • Amnesia - 2.jpeg
    Amnesia - 2.jpeg
    366.9 KB · Views: 61
  • Amnesia - 3.jpeg
    Amnesia - 3.jpeg
    327.4 KB · Views: 62
Gorilla Cookies, is 22 days and I think this is just a genetically bad seed, she looks very healthy in every way regarding the colour and texture of not a mark on them apart from the grotesque twisted leaves and overall stuntedness of the plant although the leaves are looking a bit worse today. The good thing about the standardisation of these plugs is that I can be confident it's the bean. If this was in my big grow I'd be pretty annoyed and probably pull it out, but seeing as she takes up no space there's no harm in letting her go the distance and see what happens. But she has looked a bit weird right from the start, I have another one that will pop in a couple of days because I need to check that this was a seed anomaly.

Jack47 XL is just an absolutely super specimen of womanhood with a X shaped wingspan of 18 inches and a picture postcard look, you wouldn't recognise her from how absolutely frail she appeared to be at 10 days. If I were using the pyramids to audition for the big pot then at this stage Jack47 has caught my eye.

Attachments

• Gorilla Cookies - 1.jpeg
    Gorilla Cookies - 1.jpeg
    361.8 KB · Views: 63
  • Gorilla Cookies - 2.jpeg
    Gorilla Cookies - 2.jpeg
    275.2 KB · Views: 62
  • Gorilla Cookies - 3.jpeg
    Gorilla Cookies - 3.jpeg
    284.4 KB · Views: 63
  • Jack47 XL - 1.jpeg
    Jack47 XL - 1.jpeg
    438.8 KB · Views: 64
  • Jack47 XL - 2.jpeg
    Jack47 XL - 2.jpeg
    278.6 KB · Views: 66
  • Group - 1.jpeg
    Group - 1.jpeg
    381.7 KB · Views: 84
  • Group - 2.jpeg
    Group - 2.jpeg
    329 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
Gorilla Cookies reprise.
The new replacement GC popped today, hasn't broken surface yet but there's some root out the bottom of the plug so I got her into her new mini pyramid early, it will be interesting to be able to compare its growth to the earlier one before it was apparent there was something wrong. So there's a new experiment with the plug, it can confirm the problem is the seed because no ferts are used and watering and medium and root development is identical. This time I tried a new technique always trying for minimal work with maximum result, I put the dry bean in a dry starter cube and then hydrated the cube, this held the seed in a more snug position because it swells around the seed and hugs onto it. If she emerges without problems then this will be my new method, it's just easier to drop the bean into a dry plug and position it the right way.

===========0o0==========

Instead of plants for the big pyramid, I have decided instead to do a big pyramid using the Jedi Kush. YOLO :¬)

Unlike putting that cube into the mini pyramid which fits with a nice snug seal, the starter plug is very loose inside the large cube. Last time I used it in my hydro I fill up the space with crumbled plug but you can never get it tight, this worried me because the roots can tear. It didn't matter when I used it in my hydro but I will learn from this and take a new approach to the starting this bean.

I put the small plug inside the large cube and soaked them together to see how they swelled. I then cut some slices of small starter plug with a sharp knife and careful wetted them but tried to keep them together, like trying to slice a crumbly aged cheddar cheese. Now instead of trying to jam these pieces in, I instead lifted the small plug out and press a slice on two adjacent side of the plug and then pressed it firmly back into the big cube. There's enough friction to keep the slabs in place and now instead of being loose it snug and happy. So probably about 2 weeks from now this big cube will go atop the big pyramid.

So I have some time to set something up, gonna put the big pyramid on a cake rack sitting in a shallow tub but I'm still figuring this out in order to make it work with the minimum of work. This will be too big to take to the bathroom for a quick hose down so I'll want to try and create some sort of drain into a bucket system. When I work it out, I promise that readers of this thread will be the first to know.

===========0o0==========

Man is the measure of all things, it has been translated from ancient Greek but that doesn't really make any sense, more accurate would be Man is the measurer of all things. I mean it's what we do, gravity waves to an accuracy of a thousandth the width of a single proton over a distance of 4kms, gravity probe B, the anomalous magnetic dipole moment. and many others.

Today I did some rough wicking measurements while preparing the mini pyramid for the new replacement GC, I weighed up 600g of water put it in a small saucepan that just fit the mini pyramid so it was only sitting in about an inch of water. It quickly sunk and took about 40 minutes until the plughole got wetNew GC - 1.jpeg at the hour mark it had wicked all the way to the topNew GC - 2.jpeg, at this stage I let it go a bit longer and finished it by turning it upside down. when ready I pushed the plug inNew GC - 3.jpeg and she is now sitting in the shadeNew GC - 4.jpeg

Back to the Jedi Kush, if you look closely you will see the L shaped addition to the small plugBig Pyramid - 1.jpeg. I didn't use the hole because it's not centred now, so I used a wooden toothpick to mash the plug around the hole and fill it in and make a new holeBig Pyramid - 2.jpeg then bury it Big Pyramid - 3.jpeg

Here's a shot of the big cube on the big pyramid for size comparisons.

Big Pyramid - 4.jpeg

Last edited:
Just ordered some... @The Iconoclast pulled me into this. I wanted to start my hempy, but then I found him doing it better in his shallow water system and then coming up with those thingies. Well they seem expensive, but they fit perfectly to my needs with little space and the kiss principle. It was not a hard decision based on what I saw here.

Feel Free To Post Your Own Samples.
@kfigerm Excellent, I hope this can be a thread where everyone feels free to post their results. As you can see from the beginning of this thread I was expecting nothing very special. I can see this would be like hempy on steroids. I did find on my first go that the ppm shot up to over 3000 because I wasn't really allowing much run off, although it didn't harm anything. But now I just keep a bucket with 1100 ppm and the plant over it till a lot drains through. I"m going to want the same effect on the big one so if it's successful then I'll rig up something where I can just pour over the pyramid and let it drain directly into a bucket. I'll keep updating my techniques in this thread, and I'm sure that if other people start these that they will have their own techniques to try.

they built a specian flood tray for the pyramids...well designed, but hey..diy will do. Interesting how the ferts will do..as I said, I'll watch closely and try to learn. I guess being so long off, it's easier to directly dial in to something promising, than hasseling with my setup, as i just did in soil.
All I need is 5-6 ounces from 2-3 plants in 80 days, and I want it easy...so they should do the job and save time and pain...if it works for me, it's worth the money.
Of course I'll keep everyone updated, and throw some posts in here.

Back