TLO: For dummies, from a dummy.

hi everyone
ive only grown a handful of plants with varying degrees of success using biobizz nutes and i find it a pain in the arse to keep plants happy and this TLO method seems great and suitable for a vegetable garden id like to start on my roof.
however there is a problem, for the life of me i can't find any of the ingredients locally only these two and it's rediculously expensive like £12 for 0.45kg earthworm castings and 0.45kg kelp meal not including delivery. i have found this for sale on ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121816227336?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

does this look like a good mix of ingredients?
do i need anyanything else to add to it?
how much super soil would i be able to make from it?

if anyone knows of a better place to order this stuff online that ships worldwide i'd love to know.

thanks

hi everyone
ive only grown a handful of plants with varying degrees of success using biobizz nutes and i find it a pain in the arse to keep plants happy and this TLO method seems great and suitable for a vegetable garden id like to start on my roof.
however there is a problem, for the life of me i can't find any of the ingredients locally only these two and it's rediculously expensive like £12 for 0.45kg earthworm castings and 0.45kg kelp meal not including delivery. i have found this for sale on ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121816227336?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

does this look like a good mix of ingredients?
do i need anyanything else to add to it?
how much super soil would i be able to make from it?

if anyone knows of a better place to order this stuff online that ships worldwide i'd love to know.

thanks

Hey man if you are in UK check out my thread I've been working on a soil mix with all UK sourced products, still cooking mine but might give you some ideas.

https://www.autoflower.org/threads/subcool-supersoil-uk-version-a-few-questions.41160/

:pass:

yeah that looks like a simple starter pack for a soil system.it should do fine.Id want to add three things to it.atleast two but steer manure or similar fully composted..Lime especially since there are a lot of guano's and that'll be a tougher ballance to achieve but doable.neem cake for outdoor or roof top gardening. and if you can get alfalfa and kelp meal that'd be a nice and simple mix from that pack from E bay and the other ingredients I mentioned.Id imagine some of those might be easier to get in that region if you looked.usually not very expensive.cottonseed or feather meal's are good.bone meal ya got.but is usually cheap and worth having imo.the meals will break down longer and with all the materials mixed and matched you could achieve multiple recipes found in the organic tlo recipes thread.

yeah that looks like a simple starter pack for a soil system.it should do fine.Id want to add three things to it.atleast two but steer manure or similar fully composted..Lime especially since there are a lot of guano's and that'll be a tougher ballance to achieve but doable.neem cake for outdoor or roof top gardening. and if you can get alfalfa and kelp meal that'd be a nice and simple mix from that pack from E bay and the other ingredients I mentioned.Id imagine some of those might be easier to get in that region if you looked.usually not very expensive.cottonseed or feather meal's are good.bone meal ya got.but is usually cheap and worth having imo.the meals will break down longer and with all the materials mixed and matched you could achieve multiple recipes found in the organic tlo recipes thread.

i grow indoors and that's my main focus if i can manage to get enough soil id like to start growing tomatoes on my roof but that's a bonus. i haven't been able to find any of that stuff you mentioned the only things i can find is red worm humus, bio-compost,the kelp meal and casings i mentioned before and liquid fertilizers and supplements from Age Old Organics that can be used to make teas and that's it plus it doesn't help that i don't speak the language that well.

could i just buy that starter pack and add to my soil which is based on peat, perlite, coconut fiber and enriched with appropriate doses of vermiculite and humus that i got from a grow shop plus the things i can find or is that not enough?

thanks for your help i will keep looking for that stuff

i found this also on ebay:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-lb-Soil...339488?hash=item27d988b460:g:UKEAAMXQvJVRXbBu

it has fulvic acid,humic acid,amino acid and kelp you suggested or they sell just worm castings. 4lbs should be enough right?

i will still look locally as the delivery charges are more than double the cost of the items.

i forgot to ask you mentioned lime, is the 1/2 cup sweet lime (dolomite) in the starter pack not enough or do you mean a different type of lime?

I think you'll actually be surprised how little you can get away with, so long as it's a balanced mix. I learned that having the right aeration is also majorly important to stop lockout. What light are you using?

Ok thanks Dazed i'll keep that in mind but how do you gauge the balance is it solely the ph or are there other factors?
my base soil has alot of perlite in it im hoping that will give it enough aeration. ive read that it's ok if it's been used with biobizz nutes and might have old roots in parts of it, is that right? i use a 250w hps dual spectrum light and tend to only grow two plants at a time and only a handful a year well that's the plan anyway.

Back