Transplanting

Mine are all sitting on boards today elevated a couple inches off the ground on pavers. Half my autos are Blueberry strains and half the others are a Northern Lights strain. I don't know which is which though as I had them labeled but the labels all fell off.

The previous time I transplanted two plants they wilted and ended up stunted. This time all 7 plants look fine but I watered in the morning slightly, transplanted into new pots in the late afternoon as it was cooling off and watered after transplanting. This morning they looked no worse than before transplanting. Today will me in the 90 degrees Fahrenheit range.

I have never had an issue transplanting any photoperiod plants. They seem so hardy I even tossed so that turned out to be male plants outside in the Spring once. Temperatures dropped below freezing and it snowed for two days and the continued to grow until I pulled them out of their pots. These were all planted late as I intended on growing Fastbuds White Widow and Original Skunk. Not a single Original Skunk seed out of five germinated. I have one Original White Widow I germinated and it is growing fine.

My photo plants were transplanted into a raised bed something like a month ago. You can see how big they got in that time. Two of one strain have shown sex as female. Out of the other three photo plants of another strain one for sure is male, one other at least looks like it may be a male, the third I can't tell yet. I will keep one male to pollinate the females for seed.

I have one autoflower male that is just about ready to release pollen that I plan on pollinating all the female autoflower plants with and hopefully end up with thousands of seeds for future use. I still have nine different autoflower strains of seeds I have previously bought and have stored for future use but figured this year I would grow for seeds.

The photo plants are all about four feet tall and I have topped them repeatedly this month. Once the three of one strain all show sex I'll cull all but one male out of the bed.
I have a similar issue I forgot to separate my seeds so at first I didn't know which was which I'm tempted to get screens and put them on that maybe it's because photos have more time to recover I'll have to try breeding autos sometime those look gooood

I have a similar issue I forgot to separate my seeds so at first I didn't know which was which I'm tempted to get screens and put them on that maybe it's because photos have more time to recover I'll have to try breeding autos sometime those look gooood
I have an auto strain I grew last year that has a pheno that reaches photoperiod sizes. I planted it in an 11 gallon pot last year. Didn't plant any this year but I may try it straight in the ground next year. It's not a real fast performer but it finishes early enough for my Northern climate.

Last edited:
I have an auto strain I grew last year that has a pheno that reaches photoperiod sizes. I planted it in an 11 gallon pot last year. Didn't plant any this year but I may try it straight in the ground next year. It's not a real fast performer but it finishes early enough for my Northern climate.
Phenotypes are weird haha

I’ve been keeping my plants in 3 gallon pots, I start them off in little cups then once they grow couple of leafs I put them in the bigger pots,I have an auto grow going at the minute doing
5 plants

Best pot size varies on growing medium and technique. Anything larger than 3 gallons, perhaps less than 3, is a waste of space with coco and autopots. I'm guessing, but I suspect that plants would get just as big in a couple gallons with coco and autopots.

OTOH, if you want to do a soil grow with only water, three gallons will not do the job. Neither will 5 gallons or maybe even 7. If I try a soil and water grow this winter, I will use at least 10 gallon pots, maybe larger, and I will still plan on supplementing if the plants ask for it. Totally different picture than coco.

As to the original question about transplanting, one general reason to consider it is that a smaller initial pot can, according to general horticultural experience, generate better root development than starting without constraints of a small initial pot. Dunno how much this applies to autos, but transplanting carefully has never hurt my plants yet, so I will likely continue to do it.

Another reason that matters to me is that starting in small pots allows you to do more initial plants in a smaller space in which temperature and humidity might be easier to control while the plants are young, and the larger number allows weeding out of weaker plants before committing the final pots which you have limited space for.

The same logic applies to germinating seeds. I like to start with an initial soak to allow healthy tap roots to show up. Waiting for a week or more for an untested seed to emerge from a final pot only to find that it didn't show up after all doesn't work for me. At least if I see a nice tap root, I know that the seed is likely worth planting.

Happy growing @Gary Laser Eyes

Best pot size varies on growing medium and technique. Anything larger than 3 gallons, perhaps less than 3, is a waste of space with coco and autopots. I'm guessing, but I suspect that plants would get just as big in a couple gallons with coco and autopots.

OTOH, if you want to do a soil grow with only water, three gallons will not do the job. Neither will 5 gallons or maybe even 7. If I try a soil and water grow this winter, I will use at least 10 gallon pots, maybe larger, and I will still plan on supplementing if the plants ask for it. Totally different picture than coco.

As to the original question about transplanting, one general reason to consider it is that a smaller initial pot can, according to general horticultural experience, generate better root development than starting without constraints of a small initial pot. Dunno how much this applies to autos, but transplanting carefully has never hurt my plants yet, so I will likely continue to do it.

Another reason that matters to me is that starting in small pots allows you to do more initial plants in a smaller space in which temperature and humidity might be easier to control while the plants are young, and the larger number allows weeding out of weaker plants before committing the final pots which you have limited space for.

The same logic applies to germinating seeds. I like to start with an initial soak to allow healthy tap roots to show up. Waiting for a week or more for an untested seed to emerge from a final pot only to find that it didn't show up after all doesn't work for me. At least if I see a nice tap root, I know that the seed is likely worth planting.

Happy growing @Gary Laser Eyes
I'm growing a cream in a I think maybe 2 gallon pot and its decent size it seems like with soil bigger pots sometimes give the potential to grow a little bigger I want to try growing in tiny pots and see how big they get.

Back