Transplanting

Reaction score
What's the point in transplanting autos anyway why bother planting it in something else just to rip it out in plant it something else why not plant in the the final container.

Growing in hydro, it's much easier for me to start seeds off in an Aerogarden which allows me to visibly inspect the roots before sending it off into its final container. I also use the AG for starting tomato plants that eventually get transplanted into soil.

Growing in hydro, it's much easier for me to start seeds off in an Aerogarden which allows me to visibly inspect the roots before sending it off into its final container. I also use the AG for starting tomato plants that eventually get transplanted into soil.
I can see with hydro how it would make sense.

What's the point in transplanting autos anyway why bother planting it in something else just to rip it out in plant it something else why not plant in the the final container.

One potential reason (and it has nothing to do with autos in particular) is - some people have a small space for seedlings, a larger vegetative space and an even larger flowering space.

One potential reason (and it has nothing to do with autos in particular) is - some people have a small space for seedlings, a larger vegetative space and an even larger flowering space.
If I ever had more than few plants going at a time that would make sense.

I just had to transplant 6 autos today. I grew some Fastbuds in three gallon felt pots last year and just wasn't happy with the results. I couldn't find my larger pots this year when I planted seeds but finally found my 7 and 11 gallon felt pots today so I went ahead and transplanted all the three gallon pots today.

Last year I planted a Pineapple Express that they recommend a three gallon pot and the plant grew huge. Pot became really unstable and stood over four feet tall.

I had watered this morning but by the time I started transplanting this evening the pots were bone dry. I like the larger pots because they will retain moisture longer but they are also too large for my seedling tent I use before moving them outside for the Summer. The large pots if they have any moisture in them are not easily moved about once a plant reaches any size. I usually plant the larger strains of autoflowering plants.

I just had to transplant 6 autos today. I grew some Fastbuds in three gallon felt pots last year and just wasn't happy with the results. I couldn't find my larger pots this year when I planted seeds but finally found my 7 and 11 gallon felt pots today so I went ahead and transplanted all the three gallon pots today.

Last year I planted a Pineapple Express that they recommend a three gallon pot and the plant grew huge. Pot became really unstable and stood over four feet tall.

I had watered this morning but by the time I started transplanting this evening the pots were bone dry. I like the larger pots because they will retain moisture longer but they are also too large for my seedling tent I use before moving them outside for the Summer. The large pots if they have any moisture in them are not easily moved about once a plant reaches any size. I usually plant the larger strains of autoflowering plants.
I use 5 gal pots I was thinking planting a seed in a 7 gallon I'm curious a at what point the benefits of a bigger pot stop like if you were to plant on in a 20 gallon pot if it would be any benefit.

I use 5 gal pots I was thinking planting a seed in a 7 gallon I'm curious a at what point the benefits of a bigger pot stop like if you were to plant on in a 20 gallon pot if it would be any benefit.
My biggest yield last year from an auto was in an 11 gallon felt pot but I think they are undersized. The three gallon felt pots seem closer to 1 1/2 gallons to my eye. I have a few planted in 5 gallon plastic pots last year, them seem larger and worked OK but when growing under the sun I prefer larger pots to retain water.

Hot, dry windy Summer just makes the pots dry too fast. I had to water constantly last year. The 3 gallon felt pots would have to be watered several time a day when they were really budding out. Since, someone mentioned putting them in a big container of water and let them take up what they need for a bit then pulling them out. Keeps the water from just streaming out.

My biggest yield last year from an auto was in an 11 gallon felt pot but I think they are undersized. The three gallon felt pots seem closer to 1 1/2 gallons to my eye. I have a few planted in 5 gallon plastic pots last year, them seem larger and worked OK but when growing under the sun I prefer larger pots to retain water.

Hot, dry windy Summer just makes the pots dry too fast. I had to water constantly last year. The 3 gallon felt pots would have to be watered several time a day when they were really budding out. Since, someone mentioned putting them in a big container of water and let them take up what they need for a bit then pulling them out. Keeps the water from just streaming out.
I was going to throw a Northern lights in a 7 gallon pot they seems to grow big fast I got a plastic one I usually also use felt pots like you although I have drainage issues since they are sitting on a board.

I was going to throw a Northern lights in a 7 gallon pot they seems to grow big fast I got a plastic one I usually also use felt pots like you although I have drainage issues since they are sitting on a board.
Mine are all sitting on boards today elevated a couple inches off the ground on pavers. Half my autos are Blueberry strains and half the others are a Northern Lights strain. I don't know which is which though as I had them labeled but the labels all fell off.

The previous time I transplanted two plants they wilted and ended up stunted. This time all 7 plants look fine but I watered in the morning slightly, transplanted into new pots in the late afternoon as it was cooling off and watered after transplanting. This morning they looked no worse than before transplanting. Today will be in the 90 degrees Fahrenheit range.

I have never had an issue transplanting any photoperiod plants. They seem so hardy I even tossed some that turned out to be male plants outside in the Spring once. Temperatures dropped below freezing and it snowed for two days and they continued to grow until I pulled them out of their pots.they

These were all planted late as I intended on growing Fastbuds White Widow and Original Skunk. Not a single Original Skunk seed out of five germinated. I have one Original White Widow I germinated and it is growing fine.

My photo plants were transplanted into a raised bed something like a month ago. You can see how big they got in that time. Two of one strain have shown sex as female. Out of the other three photo plants of another strain one for sure is male, one other at least looks like it may be a male, the third I can't tell yet. I will keep one male to pollinate the females for seed.

I have one autoflower male that is just about ready to release pollen that I plan on pollinating all the female autoflower plants with and hopefully end up with thousands of seeds for future use. I still have nine different autoflower strains of seeds I have previously bought and have stored for future use but figured this year I would grow for seeds.

The photo plants are all about four feet tall and I have topped them repeatedly this month. Once the three of one strain all show sex I'll cull all but one male out of the bed.

Attachments

• IMG_20200630_133834.jpg
    IMG_20200630_133834.jpg
    846.7 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_20200603_124319.jpg
    IMG_20200603_124319.jpg
    825.2 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_20200630_133804.jpg
    IMG_20200630_133804.jpg
    940.6 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
Back