Nutrients Trying to create Simple small scale super soil amendment

MissUniverse

I put metal in the microwave
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
Website
mycanna.wiki
Hi everyone, i cant find gbd supersoil (in case you don't know, his supersoil is as simple as mix on a few scoops to the bottom half of a pot's soil (he says roots organics is good).
I saw the thread on supersoil recipies but i want a water only and no soil mix

I'm not trying to stomp on GBDs feet but I need something.

I have found some information on different super soil mixes. But they require cooking the soil and having a lot of money and space to do it. There is subcool's mix which I'll quote below,
High times version
https://hightimes.com/grow/subcools-super-soil-step-by-step/
  • 8 large bags of a high-quality organic potting soil with coco fiber and mycorrhizae (i.e., your base soil)
  • 25 to 50 lbs of organic worm castings
  • 5 lbs steamed bone meal
  • 5 lbs Bloom bat guano
  • 5 lbs blood meal
  • 3 lbs rock phosphate
  • ¾ cup Epson salts
  • ½ cup sweet lime (dolomite)
  • ½ cup azomite (trace elements)
  • 2 tbsp powdered humic acid

there's the version from grow weed easy
https://www.growweedeasy.com/organic-super-soil/#make-super-soil
Composted Super Soil Ingredients

Subcools improved recipe from cannabis cultivation network
https://freecannabis.com/forums/resources/subcool’s-super-soil-–-improved.9/
Subcool’s Super Soil Recipe Improved, Large Batch :
  • 8 ten gallon bags of high quality Organic Potting Soil Such as “Roots Organic Soil”
  • 25 – 50 pounds of Organic Earthworm Castings
  • 5 pounds of Blood Meal (12-0-0)
  • 5 pounds of Bloom Bat Guano ( 0-5-0)
  • 5 pounds Fish Bone Meal ( 3-16-0)
  • 3 pounds Rock Phosphate (0-3-0)
  • 3/4 cup Epsom Salt
  • 1 cup Dolomite Lime
  • 1/2 cup Azomite
  • 2 table spoons (Tbs.) powdered Humic Acid

Subcool’s Super Soil Recipe Improved, Small Batch :
  • 1 ten gallon bag of high quality Organic Potting Soil Such as “Roots Organic Soil”
  • 3 to 6 pounds of Organic Earthworm Castings (1 lb. of casting = about 1 gal.)
  • 10 ounces of Blood Meal ( 10 oz. of blood meal = about 1 & 1/2 cups)
  • 10 ounces of Bloom Bat Guano ( 10 oz. of guano = about 1 cup)
  • 10 ounces Fish Bone Meal ( 10 oz. of bone meal = about 1 cup)
  • 6 ounces Rock Phosphate
  • 1&1/2 tablespoons Epsom Salt (magnesium sulfate)
  • 2 tablespoons or 1 oz. (liquid measure)of Dolomite Lime
  • 1 tablespoons or 1/2 oz. (liquid measure) of Azomite (trace elements)
  • 1 teaspoon of powdered Humic Acid

I found some info from Reddit about gbd's mix as well.

...it seems he mixes Azomite minerals, organic potassium (0-0-5.2), epsom salts, blood meal (12-0-0), bone meal (3-15-0), lime, and Earth Juice bloom fertilizer (0-12-1)
And here's more from him on this forum
seems like it's a modified subcools super soil mix...
https://www.autoflower.org/threads/autoflower-super-soil-thread.35923/
My base soil consists of Roots Organics, earthworm castings, perlite, lime, diatamaceous earth, and crushed mosquito dunks as infestation preventative.

Add to that azomite, humid acid, blood meal, bone meal, bat guano, pot ash, and epsom salt to create the super soil. I've taken 5 gallon buckets and placed two gallons of super in the bottoms, then another two gallons of base soil on top of that.

All that said and done, GBD said it's half strength of his last mix.

Which brings me to this, most supersoil mixes have:
azomite, humid acid, blood meal, bone meal, potash, epsom salt, lime, rock phosphate
Possibly including Earth Juice bloom fertilizer, bat guano, kelpmeal and diatamaceous earth?

This study finds that you need to let feather meal and blood meal amended soil needs to "incubate" for 2 weeks. Which could potentially be incubated when mixed into the bottom half and once the roots reach down to the amended mix it should be good...
http://hortsci.ashspublications.org/content/52/1/138.abstract

Seeing the recipes I think it would be possibly positive to add something like feather meal to the mix.

This is a bit of a dissection and Frankenstein of an idea...
Does this sound like a good starting point to play with and test:

Azomite 1 tablespoon
Humic acid 1/4 teaspoon
Blood meal 10oz blood meal or 1/2
Feather meal 1/4 tablespoon
Bone meal 10oz
Potash (not sure how much, maybe 1/4 teaspoon or even less like 1/8 teaspoon due to its npk being 0-0-50)
Epsom salt 1.5 tablespoons
Dolomite lime 2 tablespoons
Rock phosphate 6 oz
Kelp meal (again, not sure how much maybe 1 tablespoon)
Bat guano finely ground/powderized 10oz or 1 cup

Does anyone have suggestions? Am I way off base, anyone able to help?
The goal as said is a simple dump a scoop in the bottom half and mix the soil and amendment.

Last edited:
I think @hecno is a good start to this.
Hi everyone, i cant find gbd supersoil (in case you don't know, his supersoil is as simple as mix on a few scoops to the bottom half of a pot's soil (he says roots organics is good).
I saw the thread on supersoil recipies but i want a water only and no soil mix

I'm not trying to stomp on GBDs feet but I need something.

I have found some information on different super soil mixes. But they require cooking the soil and having a lot of money and space to do it. There is subcool's mix which I'll quote below,
High times version
https://hightimes.com/grow/subcools-super-soil-step-by-step/

there's the version from grow weed easy
https://www.growweedeasy.com/organic-super-soil/#make-super-soil

Subcools improved recipe from cannabis cultivation network
https://freecannabis.com/forums/resources/subcool’s-super-soil-–-improved.9/

I found some info from Reddit about gbd's mix as well.

And here's more from him on this forum
seems like it's a modified subcools super soil mix...
https://www.autoflower.org/threads/autoflower-super-soil-thread.35923/

All that said and done, GBD said it's half strength of his last mix.

Which brings me to this, most supersoil mixes have:
azomite, humid acid, blood meal, bone meal, potash, epsom salt, lime, rock phosphate
Possibly including Earth Juice bloom fertilizer, bat guano, kelpmeal and diatamaceous earth?

This study finds that you need to let feather meal and blood meal amended soil needs to "incubate" for 2 weeks. Which could potentially be incubated when mixed into the bottom half and once the roots reach down to the amended mix it should be good...
http://hortsci.ashspublications.org/content/52/1/138.abstract

Seeing the recipes I think it would be possibly positive to add something like feather meal to the mix.

This is a bit of a dissection and Frankenstein of an idea...
Does this sound like a good starting point to play with and test:

Azomite 1 tablespoon
Humic acid 1/4 teaspoon
Bone meal 10oz
Potash (not sure how much, maybe 1/4 teaspoon or even less like 1/8 teaspoon due to its npk being 0-0-50)
Epsom salt 1.5 tablespoons
Rock phosphate 6 oz

Does anyone have suggestions? Am I way off base, anyone able to help?
The goal as said is a simple dump a scoop in the bottom half and mix the soil and amendment.

Sent from my comfy chair.
[emoji16][emoji41] [emoji43][emoji848]

@MissUniverse I think we should start with how much volume do you need to make and what size pots do you intend to use .

@MissUniverse I think we should start with how much volume do you need to make and what size pots do you intend to use .
I'd like probably a 5 gallon bucket worth and I am planning 3 gallon air pots if that helps at all.
Thank you for helping me!
Rep coming your way

what i would do is work out the NPK you will end up with . if happy with it , then water and take a ph reading .

Bone meal 10oz
Potash (not sure how much, maybe 1/4 teaspoon or even less like 1/8 teaspoon due to its p being 0-0-50)
Rock phosphate 6 oz

what i would do is work out the NPK you will end up with . if happy with it , then water and take a ph reading .

Bone meal 10oz
Potash (not sure how much, maybe 1/4 teaspoon or even less like 1/8 teaspoon due to its p being 0-0-50)
Rock phosphate 6 oz
So I'm total noob on some of this, do I need to test the npk after I mix it up? Do I just add the numbers to get like 1-2-1 and something 2-0-3 would be 3-2-4? I know I know total noob if you have resources I can look up I'd be very appreciated. :thanks:

@MissUniverse yes you have it right , that is what I do to get an idea for the NPK , the one concern I have with no cook time is the blending in of inputs . I plant in soil that is no less than 3 months old . With making soil -- time is the factor -- are you going to introduce microbes ? . They will help your soil break down the nutrients . I am afraid there are no short cuts when making your own soil mixes . But in saying that , have a go at making your mix as you will learn a lot by doing it . Now , go to the organic threads and you will find heaps of info that will help you . just link me anytime and if I can help I will , But remember I am in the tropics . :thumbsup:

@MissUniverse yes you have it right , that is what I do to get an idea for the NPK , the one concern I have with no cook time is the blending in of inputs . I plant in soil that is no less than 3 months old . With making soil -- time is the factor -- are you going to introduce microbes ? . They will help your soil break down the nutrients . I am afraid there are no short cuts when making your own soil mixes . But in saying that , have a go at making your mix as you will learn a lot by doing it . Now , go to the organic threads and you will find heaps of info that will help you . just link me anytime and if I can help I will , But remember I am in the tropics . :thumbsup:
Awesome, glad I'm on the right track calculating the npk. It will probably end up being a bit overboard with soil and doing way more than I need :).
I will be playing around and trying a simple recipe and working towards the end result of doing it myseld.
I'll be browsing through the organics subforum

Thanks for offering to help. I'm definitely not in the tropics but my weather does get very hot and humid.
:thanks:
:bighug:

Back