Turmeric Curcumin -- The One Supplement Everyone Should Take -- Part I

Rebel

Smoke Cannabis Live with Friends on AFN
AFN Global Moderator
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
I've been chatting with Grandma Roody, Eek, Root & Oldster about my personal experience with Turmeric. I thought I should start a thread and they agreed so here goes...

I want to discuss and share my personal experience (along with my Wife's experience) with this amazing gift from Mother Earth! Every Cancer patient, Cronic Pain Sufferers, Diabetics, Those that suffer from Arthritis, Heart problems, need help losing weight, any degenerative diseases, etc. It's just an integral, imperative supplement everyone should take.

I am going to do this in parts so it's not so overwhelming to you and myself lol I've been working on this in my word pad so I'm going to copy and paste it over. I have researched many sources and will include a "bibliography" of sorts in a separate part where I reference all my links. I took what I feel is most important from my research to post here so everyone can clearly understand how important this Root is.

Most of us know what Curry is. Well curry is derived from Turmeric. Turmeric has a peppery, warm and bitter flavor and a mild fragrance slightly reminiscent of orange and ginger, and while it is best known as one of the ingredients used to make curry, it also gives ballpark mustard its bright yellow color.

Turmeric comes from the root of the Curcuma longa plant and has a tough brown skin and a deep orange flesh. Turmeric has long been used as a powerful anti-inflammatory in both the Chinese and Indian systems of medicine. Turmeric was traditionally called "Indian saffron" because of its deep yellow-orange color and has been used throughout history as a condiment, healing remedy and textile dye. Turmeric contains Curcumin. Curcuminoids are what we want to focus on. Think of it like Cannabinoids as an analogy. Turmeric is a perennial plant of the ginger family, and its mustard yellow powder is commonly used as a culinary spice in South Asia. However, Turmeric also has an active medicinal ingredient called Curcumin which has many anti-inflammatory, anti-oxidant, and anti-bacterial properties. Curcumin, the polyphenol identified as its primary active component and which exhibits over 150 potentially therapeutic activities, which include antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and anti-cancer properties. Curcumin is capable of crossing the blood-brain barrier, which is one reason why it holds promise as a neuroprotective agent in a wide range of neurological disorders. Researchers have investigated curcumin for its potential role in improving Parkinson’s disease. Curcumin (/ˈkərkjuːmən/) is a diarylheptanoid. It is the principal curcuminoid of turmeric, which is a member of the ginger family (Zingiberaceae). Turmeric's other two curcuminoids are desmethoxycurcumin and bis-desmethoxycurcumin. The curcuminoids are natural phenols that are responsible for the yellow color of turmeric. It has actually been used for over 4000 years to treat ailments ranging from upset tummies to various forms of cancer. It was used by the Ancient Chinese, the Ancient Greeks, the Ancient Romans, and also by the Indians in Ayurvedic medicine. Curcumin is able to kill free radicals, thereby helping to prevent the damage that they can cause.

The Health Benefits

The health benefits of Turmeric have been recognized by Chinese and Ayurvedic medicine for hundreds of years. It has been used to treat everyday problems such as indigestion and flatulence, as well as more serious problems such as arthritis, Alzheimer's disease, cancer, diabetes, HIV, high cholesterol, heartburn, jaundice, liver disorders, and menstrual disorders. Turmeric can also be applied topically in poultices to reduce inflammation and to relieve wounds, cuts, and bruises. Some others include...

ALZHEIMER'S DISEASE

Inflammation inside of the brain has been suspected to be one of the contributing factors in the development of Alzheimer's disease. Studies have shown that Turmeric has anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant activity. Therefore, regular daily consumption of Turmeric capsules may be an effective way to prevent the onset of Alzheimer's.

ARTHRITIS

Due to its anti-inflammatory and pain-relieving properties, it is not surprising that Turmeric is now being used as an effective natural remedy for Arthritis pain. Therefore, taking 500mg to 1000mg Turmeric capsules three times per day may provide significant relief from osteoarthritis pain.

ASTHMA

Since turmeric is an anti-inflammatory, it can help reduce the inflammation associated with asthma. Add 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder to a glass of warm milk, and drink this mixture as an effective asthma home remedy.

CANCER

Several recent studies have found that Turmeric can induce apoptosis, a process that triggers the self-destruction and elimination of damaged (cancerous) cells. Further research is still required before the full effects of Turmeric on cancer cells can be determined. However, existing studies suggest that daily Turmeric powder or supplements combined with a balanced, nutritious diet may help prevent or even destroy cancer cells. It may be more benefical and less harmful than Chemo and more powerful than more than 14 Cancer drugs.

COLDS AND FLU

Turmeric's anti-bacterial, anti-viral, and anti-fungal agents can help our body fight against colds, cough and flu. Therefore, when symptoms of these infections are present, simply mix one teaspoon of Turmeric powder into a glass of warm milk once per day. Also drink plenty of water throughout the day.

DIABETES

Recent studies have shown that the antioxidant agents in Turmeric help reduce insulin resistance, which may prevent the onset of Type-2 Diabetes. Therefore, a simple preventive remedy is to take one teaspoon of turmeric powder twice a day with meals. Curcumin extracts or capsules can also be used as an alternative to the powder.

INFLAMMATION

Turmeric's key ingredient Curcumin is known for its anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. Therefore, Turmeric powder can help in healing cuts, wounds, and other skin infections including boils.

Heat one cup of Flax Seed Oil in a small saucepan on the stove.
Thinly slice a small onion and add it to the hot oil.
Fry the onions until they are dark brown and crunchy.
Remove the brown onions and mix 2 tablespoons of Turmeric powder into the oil.
Turn off the stove and let the oil cool down to a temperature that is comfortable to touch.
Using a cotton swab, apply a small amount of the oil onto the injured or infected skin area.
Apply this three times per day until the wound or infection is cured.
Save the remaining oil into an airtight container for future use.
For internal injuries, fractures, sprains, and herniated disks, dip a piece of unbleached cotton fabric into the warm Turmeric oil. The fabric or cotton pad should be large enough to cover the outer skin of the affected area. Secure it in place and leave this cotton pad on overnight.

You can also add one teaspoon of turmeric powder into a warm glass of milk and drink it before going to bed to prevent internal inflammation and infections.

WEIGHT LOSS

Curcumin in Turmeric powder has been found to help increase the flow of bile, an important component in the breakdown of dietary fat. Therefore, taking one teaspoon of Turmeric powder with every meal may be an effective weight loss aid when combined with a healthy diet and exercise program.

Here is a link to a site that shares a video and information on 600 Reasons to take Turmeric.
http://functionalhealthfoods.com/600-reasons-for-turmeric/

What are the Side Effects of Turmeric?
Moderate use of Turmeric powder as part of regular diet is fairly safe, and recent studies have found that a dosage of 500mg capsules of Turmeric three times per day is safe. However, prolonged consumption of high doses of Turmeric extract may cause stomach or liver distress, as well as dehydration and constipation. Therefore, it should be avoided by people with gallstones or bile obstructions. If you are currently taking blood thinners (including Aspirin), you should consult your doctor before taking Turmeric since it is an anti-platelet (prevents blood clots).

Part II will discuss my personal experience and my Wife's personal experience with Turmeric, which Turmeric we use, and where to get it. There are many kinds on the market and we have it narrowed down to the best.

Part II -- My Personal Experiences & Where You Can Get The Best Quality For Your $$

We all know how I tend to carry on LOL so I'll try to keep this short and to the points... You know bud makes me like a chatty Kathy! OK so the Lady and I have been on Turmeric for nearly 2 years now. It started as a fluke (or maybe it was fate!) I get a lot of our supplements from a particular website. At risk of being branded with the Scarlet Spam Letter LOL I will with hold the name. PM me if you want it. Anyway... We placed a big order... Vitamin D, Krill Oil, Astaxanthin, Zeaxanthin, etc... The Lady takes a lot of supplements for her Retinitis Pigmentosa... Anyway in the box with our usual order was 4 bottles of their Turmeric blend. After calling the company and telling them we didn't order them and they didn't charge us, they told us to keep the bottles. Not but two weeks later the Lady finds in her research that Turmeric is great for halting the process of RP. Sweet!

So since then we've been on it. Now after we ran out of them and found out how expensive THEIR blend was to reorder the Lady found a brand on Amazon called Eden Pond. Had phenomenal Reviews. 120 Capsules (2 Month Supply or 1 Month for a couple) 1000 mg for $25 and change plus shipping. Here's the best part. If you are satisfied and leave a positive review on Amazon, write them and give them the link of your published review, they will send you a free bottle!

http://www.amazon.com/Eden-Pond-Tur...Turmeric&pebp=1421804570124&peasin=B00BI8OG2Q

For the Lady and I this supplement has replaced anti inflammatories. It is the number one thing we notice if we haven't taken it in over 2 weeks (sometimes monetary situations prevent us from being on it everyday). Our Arthritis. For me, between my left knee (total ACL Replacement), left thigh (permanent muscle and nerve damage from a car wreck), bursitis in both shoulders, tendinitis in both biceps and left elbow, my ribs in my back that were dislocated from the airbag deploying (which also caused nerve damage around those ribs).

Now my left knee in particular is how I judge when "anti inflammatories or pain killers" truly work. Especially after last winter. I have two screws in my left knee that hold my replacement in place... I was walking out of a store in a strip mall and slipped on some black ice while walking back to the car... when I did my right leg went out in front and my left leg turned in and slammed down on the black top so hard right dead center on one of the screws... Oh my God the f*cking PAIN. I literally dragged my ass back the car and luckily the Wife always has an ice pack on her when we go out because sitting in the car "is the perfect time to ice my lower back" lol so I grabbed her ice pack and sat there for a half hour fighting back tears... Well that left that screw and that area permanently tender with a slight discoloration and small bump... which I'm guessing is partly scar tissue/arthritis... When I'd walk I'd feel like I had an Ice Pick jab me there. Couldn't straighten out my leg and every step was excruciating. We had been off the Turmeric for a few months and nothing was helping. So we got back on it and I can't live without it. Truly. If I'm off it for more than two weeks that spot on my knee flares up and only Ice will take the edge off but only Turmeric makes the pain and inflammation go away.

My Wife suffered 2 Herniated discs in her neck in the wreck (C7 & C8). Permanent muscle damage from the seat belt tearing her muscle as she went basically through the first stage of decapitation. Lower back pain from previous back surgery and arthritis resulting from... She also suffers from Usher's Syndrome and Retinitis Pigmentosa (RP) which is near deafness from nerve damage at birth and RP comes on later in life as slow vision loss to permanent blindness. She's at the stage right before being totally blind. Total Night Blindness and no peripheral vision at all. Her right eye is nearly blind and since the wreck she has had a gold swiriling light constantly in her right eye. Which has since gone away since being on the Turmeric permanently. Well, honestly we believe a combination of Turmeric, Astaxanthin, and Canna Infused Coconut Oil (before bed nightly) have been a synergistic blend that has helped this go away. Our Chiropractor believes the gold swirling was from the herniated disc pressing on a nerve and making the swirling occur. Only other option would be retina detachment and that never occurred. So obviously inflammation... this obviously has ceased because she's actually GAINING peripheral vision BACK in her eyes... that's not placebo affect... that's RESULTS.

OK I'm a bit burnt out tonight now after Part I & II... I need to tend the garden and chill out for a few lol feel free to ask any questions or add to this thread as you see fit.

To your health!

Reb

:Sharing One: "AFN smoke out"

Rebel, your posts/threads are very helpful

Good info as usual

Turmeric and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder PTSD

Thanks RC! Appreciate you always supporting me my friend. As always, my goal in posting anything in the medical section is to only pass along something that has personally worked for me, my Wife, a personal friend, or a family member in hopes that it will help someone else live a better quality of life. Need to pm you in the next few days!

Here's a link Mossy pointed out to me. Those that suffer from PTSD, or know someone who does, should take a moment to read. It's worth a moment of your time.

"AFN smoke out"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...vents-fear-stored-brain-scientists-claim.html

Great write up Rebel!

So glad it helped you and your wife...

I have a container of Turmeric in my spice cabinet, I add turmeric to several of our meals...it gives food a lovely yellow/orange color and doesn't change the taste.

Eek has caught a cold... so this morning, we are both going to have a glass of warm milk with 1 teaspoon turmeric.
turmeric.jpg

Bravo Reb,

Kudo's, many folks can use this information. thank you.

I have that similar ice-pick-stabbing pain sometimes in the hips, knees.

I also have the tender shoulders and knees. It couldn't hurt to take some caps for inflamation on a trial basis.

I will be a guinea pig for Tumeric:coffee2:

Rebel, thank you SO much for posting this information on Turmeric Curcumin!

I am also SO sorry to hear that you and Mrs Reb suffer from much Chronic Pain, as well as many others on here including myself.
I will post later in the med section everything that is wrong with me as it is much.

I had been taking Turmeric, along with many other supplements. Something was not agreeing with my stomach, causing severe pain. I thought it might be the Turmeric, but was not positive. After reading the fine information you posted, along with your personal experiences, I began taking it again last night. I will keep you all apprised on it helps.

Thanks again my friend!

Peace.
Stick

Great write up Rebel!

So glad it helped you and your wife...

I have a container of Turmeric in my spice cabinet, I add turmeric to several of our meals...it gives food a lovely yellow/orange color and doesn't change the taste.

Eek has caught a cold... so this morning, we are both going to have a glass of warm milk with 1 teaspoon turmeric.
View attachment 415221

Thank you Root! It's my pleasure to contribute to the med section here any time I'm able! I'm glad you brought that up because today I've been working on Part III which is Golden Milk.. going to discuss it and list some recipes as they vary like crazy but always have the same base ingredients which is based on Turmeric. Then I plan on discussing in depth each ailment/disease it helps and why. IE: Cancer, Diabetes, Arthritis, etc... Hope it helps the Ol' Boy!!

Bravo Reb,

Kudo's, many folks can use this information. thank you.

I have that similar ice-pick-stabbing pain sometimes in the hips, knees.

I also have the tender shoulders and knees. It couldn't hurt to take some caps for inflamation on a trial basis.

I will be a guinea pig for Tumeric:coffee2:

My pleasure Eek! I just had Sniper move this old thread of mine here to the Med Section. You two may want to check out... We swear by it and it's in our daily supplement regimen.

https://www.autoflower.org/f166/jui...ilds-immune-system-reduce-colds-etc-9063.html

Rebel, thank you SO much for posting this information on Turmeric Curcumin!

I am also SO sorry to hear that you and Mrs Reb suffer from much Chronic Pain, as well as many others on here including myself.
I will post later in the med section everything that is wrong with me as it is much.

I had been taking Turmeric, along with many other supplements. Something was not agreeing with my stomach, causing severe pain. I thought it might be the Turmeric, but was not positive. After reading the fine information you posted, along with your personal experiences, I began taking it again last night. I will keep you all apprised on it helps.

Thanks again my friend!

Peace.
Stick

I don't think Turmeric was the thing upsetting your stomach... Have you tried finding a good Probiotic? that will help tremendously with your bowels bro... In that link I posted for Root and Eek... The Juice Festiv has a Probiotic in it already and we find it good enough to where we haven't had to purchase one separately. Give it a gander... I got my Mom and 3 Aunts on it (my Grandma before she passed...) and my Wife's grandmother due to her Kidney Cancer... My mom and her sisters had problems with constipation... it helped them be more regular if you know what I mean. Stuff works man!

The only thing so far I've found as information on side effects is this...

Moderate use of Turmeric powder as part of regular diet is fairly safe, and recent studies have found that a dosage of 500mg capsules of Turmeric three times per day is safe. However, prolonged consumption of high doses of Turmeric extract may cause stomach or liver distress, as well as dehydration and constipation. Therefore, it should be avoided by people with gallstones or bile obstructions. If you are currently taking blood thinners (including Aspirin), you should consult your doctor before taking Turmeric since it is an anti-platelet (prevents blood clots).

I'll be back with Part III later this evening... Stay Tuned my friends!

As Always,

To your Health! :Sharing One:

Last edited:
Eden pond is doing a give away...

Www.freeeden.com

Go get your free bottle and see for yourself!

Several recent studies have found that Turmeric can induce apoptosis, a process that triggers the self-destruction and elimination of damaged (cancerous) cells. Further research is still required before the full effects of Turmeric on cancer cells can be determined. However, existing studies suggest that daily Turmeric powder or supplements combined with a balanced, nutritious diet may help prevent or even destroy cancer cells. It may be more benefical and less harmful than Chemo and more powerful than more than 14 Cancer drugs.
Hi Rebel. We are going to try our first Tumeric tea tonight as a cancer treatment. You mentioned curry, is that a good way to use it as well or does the cooking make it less effective?
Thank you!

Back