When to transplant Day 18 today

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have started some auto into 3.6 liters pots (approximately 1 gallon), Sweet Seeds Cream Mandarine if you are wondering.

I want to transplant into 7 liters pots (approx. 2 gallons). I was having a look at some of Tommy from Sweet Seeds grow diaries here (particularly the CreamCaramel and Black Jack test grows) on the forum and noticed that he transplanted from 1 to 2 gallons around day 21. I pre-planned to also do it on day 21 but I am not sure, maybe there are better indicators of when is ok to transplant to avoid getting them rootbound?

I attached photos, today is Day 18 and I can see that the root has reached the bottom. Is it too early and I risk making a mess? Shall i wait day 21 or more?

By the way, this was not planned. I had limited space, so I wanted to test out what I could do with those small 3.6 liters pots. Then some better space was available, so I want to go with the 7 liters (I cannot go bigger, space is still somewhat limited). If i knew at the beginning I would have started straight into the 7 liters like I always did.

Thank you

Attachments

• P1400584.JPG
    P1400584.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 43
  • P1400585.JPG
    P1400585.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 38
  • P1400587.JPG
    P1400587.JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 35
iv not done it myself yet so il tag @St. Tom and @hope2grow to maybe give you some tips on the best time to do it
plants are looking great right on track :d5:

Hi guys,

I have started some auto into 3.6 liters pots (approximately 1 gallon), Sweet Seeds Cream Mandarine if you are wondering.

I want to transplant into 7 liters pots (approx. 2 gallons). I was having a look at some of Tommy from Sweet Seeds grow diaries here (particularly the CreamCaramel and Black Jack test grows) on the forum and noticed that he transplanted from 1 to 2 gallons around day 21. I pre-planned to also do it on day 21 but I am not sure, maybe there are better indicators of when is ok to transplant to avoid getting them rootbound?

I attached photos, today is Day 18 and I can see that the root has reached the bottom. Is it too early and I risk making a mess? Shall i wait day 21 or more?

By the way, this was not planned. I had limited space, so I wanted to test out what I could do with those small 3.6 liters pots. Then some better space was available, so I want to go with the 7 liters (I cannot go bigger, space is still somewhat limited). If i knew at the beginning I would have started straight into the 7 liters like I always did.

Thank you
i start mine in solo cups and repot them say between 8 to 10 so id say around now will be best also just try to be as careful as possible and try to keep it all together

i start mine in solo cups and repot them say between 8 to 10 so id say around now will be best also just try to be as careful as possible and try to keep it all together
Thank you. I watered this morning, light watering with no run off (Last watering was last Monday), I 'd say I given them around 0.4 liters cl per plant, maybe between 0.4 and 0.5 liters. Would you wait tomorrow or is it ok if I transplant tonite? I found conflicting statement about whether to water or not before transplant.

Thanks again

If I transplant its usually from a solo cup and I like to do that on day 7 as the roots have usually hit the bottom by then.. I would say that with the roots at the bottom of the pot now would now would a good time to transplant m8 :d5: :jointman:

Thank you. I watered this morning, light watering with no run off (Last watering was last Monday), I 'd say I given them around 0.4 liters cl per plant, maybe between 0.4 and 0.5 liters. Would you wait tomorrow or is it ok if I transplant tonite? I found conflicting statement about whether to water or not before transplant.

Thanks again

I like to transplant drier, but not completely dry of course.. and then water the plant into the new pot.. hope that makes sense. Suppose more or less when the plant needs watered I'll transplant then water into the new pot.

I like to transplant drier, but not completely dry of course.. and then water the plant into the new pot.. hope that makes sense. Suppose more or less when the plant needs watered I'll transplant then water into the new pot.
Thanks mate. I have done it just now. I am not sure how it went, I think not too bad. It is definitely something i will avoid doing in the future.

So the root ball was really impressive for 18 days, it slided out easily and held everything together, just lost a bit of soil from the top. I placed them in the new pots, which were just 1 cm bigger in side size but of course taller, I prefilled the base at precise height to fit the transplant. This however gave me a very little room to fill it with soil on the sides as the pot was roughly same size in perimeter as the one i transplanted from, but i pushed soil down the sides as best as I could, watered after and fill the few side gaps that werent filled and were revealed with watering.

One went in perfectly straight but I made a little cut on one of the second node 3 pointed leaves tip :(, probably got hit on the pot side.

The other no damage but it was very sligthly tilteld because of not perfect positioning in new pot due to small difference in lenght of pot, I straightened it a bit by patting down the soik at the base, now it is hardly noticeable. Overall extraction went good, reinsertion could have been better I think with sliglty wider pots but whatever. They now have 3.5 liters extra.

I had to use these pots of roughly same size, due to size restrictions, working on a 40cm tent. So needed same length pots but taller.

I guess now it is done, it is just a matter to wait and see if they got stressed. Should i expect yellowing of leaves if I fucked up?

I am quite anxious as they were really coming up perfectly, I' d hate to have stressed them.

Last edited:
I'm sure they'll be fine bro.. its a right pain in the ass trying to get soil down the sides if there's not much space in the pot!! Messy job :jointman: give them a day or 2 they'll be right back on track with the roots filling out the extra space :thumbsup::vibes:

Back