Why do people care about getting good ph for water used in final flushing?

CannaDaTaBiz

Welcome to the CannaZone
Reaction score
I see people often talking about PHing their final flush water. But if the point is to flush out excess nutrients from the plant, then why would you give the plant water that makes it easier for the plant to get nutrients from the grow medium? Would it not be better to give the plant water that inhibits it taking as much nutrients from the soil? I know way too low PH water can make the plant suck up aluminium and some salts from the soil. But if one will PH the flush water, why not for example use PH of around 8 or bit over to slow down nitrogen uptake to make the flushing more effective? Or just not care about the PH, as long as its not extremely low(which it should not be unless your water is seriously fk'd)?

Heres a table of different nutrients availability for plants with different PH:
Nutrient-Availability-Scale.jpg.webp

Last edited:
But if the point is to flush out excess nutrients from the plant

You're not flushing excess nutrients from the plant, you're flushing them from the medium.

Flushing, in agricultural terms, is really "leaching." Leaching is the loss of water soluble plant nutrients from the medium, typically due to rain and irrigation. When you feed your plants salt-based fertilizers, that's why it's generally recommended to do regular waterings in-between feeds (and water to run off,) because the water is leaching excess salts left behind from the previous feed.

When you harvest flush your plants, you're just cutting the nutrients and moving a volume of water through the medium. Considering that some people flush for up to 2 weeks, it makes far more sense to keep the water in range (in my humble opinion) than it does to suddenly crank the steering wheel to the left right before the finish line. It's the volume of water that is moving the nutrients through the medium; the plant is still uptaking though.

This topic is not about whether to flush or not. There are tons of topics for that already.
I get what you're saying, and I'd have to say it is important. Ultimately I believe that flushing does not work and do not do it as it's a waste of time and has no real value.
But as far as the question on whether or not I would say that you want to pH your flush water as to keep your soil pH within range. It gets too far off and that can only cause problems and lockouts which is exactly what you don't want at the end of a plants life cycle. If I'm understanding correctly you want to induce a controlled lockout. Which isn't good for the plant. If you've pH'd up till now why stop? You'd be better off running a lot of pH'd water through to remove any nutrients. If you really want to clear it out use some h2o2 with it.

But honestly id really go read up on the flushing myth thread here. It will make this question irelevant

Last edited:
You're not flushing excess nutrients from the plant, you're flushing them from the medium.

Flushing, in agricultural terms, is really "leaching." Leaching is the loss of water soluble plant nutrients from the medium, typically due to rain and irrigation. When you feed your plants salt-based fertilizers, that's why it's generally recommended to do regular waterings in-between feeds (and water to run off,) because the water is leaching excess salts left behind from the previous feed.

When you harvest flush your plants, you're just cutting the nutrients and moving a volume of water through the medium. Considering that some people flush for up to 2 weeks, it makes far more sense to keep the water in range (in my humble opinion) than it does to suddenly crank the steering wheel to the left right before the finish line. It's the volume of water that is moving the nutrients through the medium; the plant is still uptaking though.

I still dont see the logic behind that. I mean higher PH water removes the nutrients from the soil just as good as perfect PH water. And even tho you flush to remove the nutrients from the medium, you flush them from the medium in order for the plants not to get them. So in the end its about not wanting your plants to suck up nutrients, not about the grow medium. I mean you could have tons of nutes in the soil, but if the plants wont take them, its same as not having those nutes flushed away. Is it not?

Why would it be a bad thing to get nutrient lock outs for nitrogen for example? Nitrogen can be used from the plant itself and moved around inside the plant to be used where it is needed. So locking out nitrogen does not suddenly stop the nitrogen used by the plant, as it has nitrogen stored in leaves etc.

Also if you reduce nutrient intake tons due to using higher PH water, naturally flush would not have to take 2 weeks.

This higher PH would also reduce the intake of phosphorus, which helps with intake of other nutrients, helps to grow roots etc. which i doubt is needed much during the last week or so.

Potassium you would still get absorbed by the plant, along with magnesium. Is it not the potassium and magnesium that are still important in late flowering?

Who still flushes?
This ph question is silly, sorry bro.

good luck!

People who use synthetic nutes should still flush at least imho. But again this is not a topic of flush vs no flush. This is about the PH thing for those who still choose to flush. Some people do flush, that is a fact and we are dealing with that fact here.

Back