It's awesome I'm getting all my questions answered. This site is amazing.

I'm gonna do DTW. Need a good feeding tool. I got a shop vac to collect the runoff. The beaker and funnel was very messy for me in my first grow. Lol. Lucky I didn't nute burn a lot doing it.

I built a PVC irrigation system when I used coco but it's difficult getting drippers to have equal pressures thorough the entire grow especially with different phenos rather than clones. Drippers clog unless you use 1/2 lines, flow adjusters help, a 1/2 hp sump pump in a 55 gallon barrel would have been nice. I had a 35 gallon trash can and a 400gph pump that didn't really do it for me.

You'll want to use some hydroton as a top dress to hold on water if you're using fabric pots and prevent fungus gnats. Nematodes can get rid of them but why react to the problem lol. I didn't really have the money to figure out a good way to capture run off and hated the wastefulness of it but it was a game of constantly adjusting my drippers flow rates so I get just a bit but not too much.

Here is the journal if you're interested.

I built a PVC irrigation system when I used coco but it's difficult getting drippers to have equal pressures thorough the entire grow especially with different phenos rather than clones. Drippers clog unless you use 1/2 lines, flow adjusters help, a 1/2 hp sump pump in a 55 gallon barrel would have been nice. I had a 35 gallon trash can and a 400gph pump that didn't really do it for me.

You'll want to use some hydroton as a top dress to hold on water if you're using fabric pots and prevent fungus gnats. Nematodes can get rid of them but why react to the problem lol. I didn't really have the money to figure out a good way to capture run off and hated the wastefulness of it but it was a game of constantly adjusting my drippers flow rates so I get just a bit but not too much.

Here is the journal if you're interested.

I'm gonna be honest here bro, I have no idea what you're talking about with the PVC irrigation system or what drippers are. From what I can see in the pics, it's connected to all the plants. That's badass. Prob not too expensive either I imagine? I'm going to be using plastic 1G pots. Do you think that's a good size to start+finish with when I veg for a month here?

I've been consulted over fabric pots. The shakiness of them kinda scares me. One wrong movement and your plant is fucked is what I'm scared of with them.

I'm gonna be honest here bro, I have no idea what you're talking about with the PVC irrigation system or what drippers are. From what I can see in the pics, it's connected to all the plants. That's badass. Prob not too expensive either I imagine? I'm going to be using plastic 1G pots. Do you think that's a good size to start+finish with when I veg for a month here?

I've been consulted over fabric pots. The shakiness of them kinda scares me. One wrong movement and your plant is fucked is what I'm scared of with them.

Mine was similar to his however I used plastic inlets to the PVC instead of brass ball valves like he did. It wasn't too expensive probably under $80 but could have been done better. A 2 gallon fabric pot would be better, it's cheap with room for the roots plus it air prunes roots automatically negating the need to transplant because you're root bound. Plus they dry out faster.

Mine was similar to his however I used plastic inlets to the PVC instead of brass ball valves like he did. It wasn't too expensive probably under $80 but could have been done better. A 2 gallon fabric pot would be better, it's cheap with room for the roots plus it air prunes roots automatically negating the need to transplant because you're root bound. Plus they dry out faster.

They make em by the gallon huh? Interesting.. Why aren't they "root bound" with plastic pots though? Wouldn't the fabric bags get wet if they're sitting on a saucer for example? Would make it hard to collect the runoff with the fabric. I'd surely need something under them like rocks right?

They make em by the gallon huh? Interesting.. Why aren't they "root bound" with plastic pots though? Wouldn't the fabric bags get wet if they're sitting on a saucer for example? Would make it hard to collect the runoff with the fabric. I'd surely need something under them like rocks right?

Root ball probably isn't developed enough for it to happen. I let my fabric bags sit on the floor. If you aim for minimal runoffs every irrigation then the extra water will evaporate. I don't collect runoff, I let it evaporate and help my humidity. You can put a layer of hydroton pebbles on the bottom of each pot though.

Root ball probably isn't developed enough for it to happen. I let my fabric bags sit on the floor. If you aim for minimal runoffs every irrigation then the extra water will evaporate. I don't collect runoff, I let it evaporate and help my humidity. You can put a layer of hydroton pebbles on the bottom of each pot though.

Forgive me for asking so many questions. I just don't know too much other than what I've previously done. You say you let the runoff evaporate. I did this out of laziness sometimes because I didn't have the shop vac to easily collect it all at the time. This is interesting. So you're saying it's actually beneficial for plants to sit in their runoff as long as it's minimal? Why is root ball essential for a plant? Does this mean fabric pots help yield better or something?

Forgive me for asking so many questions. I just don't know too much other than what I've previously done. You say you let the runoff evaporate. I did this out of laziness sometimes because I didn't have the shop vac to easily collect it all at the time. This is interesting. So you're saying it's actually beneficial for plants to sit in their runoff as long as it's minimal? Why is root ball essential for a plant? Does this mean fabric pots help yield better or something?

You're good man.

I'm saying it was beneficial to my humidity until I developed a full canopy then too much can lead to mold/algae but I aimed for minimal runoffs where I would have to lift the pot. But i did multiple feeds a day, an hour after lights on and my last one, two hours before lights off.

A root ball that constantly swirls around a pot can basically choke itself out causing weird deficiencies and stuff. A smart pot, fabric pot, air pot, etc will prune the roots causing them to divide and create more feeder roots. Then you don't get root bound plus they let more oxygen in to the roots.

Back