A discussion about CBD and Auto flowers! Let's talk about it!

Proph

Regenerative Organic Grower
Staff member
AFN Global Moderator
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
Hello to whoever is reading this! I wasn't sure where to post/start this discussion and figured this would be the best spot for it. I'd like to start a real, wide open conversation about CBD and auto flowers, and whether or not they are a money making gimmick, or if they have true potential.

I've been growing photoperiods for several years, and have a few high CBD cuts. Now, I'm not just saying that I have high CBD cuts based on the name of the strain. I've actually sent samples of to be tested to confirm/validate their CBD ratios. Even with photo period plants there is no guarantee. I've sent 2 sister plants off for testing together. Only one came back with measurable levels of cbd.

Sooo. For this example, let's say we have a few CBD auto flower seeds from a well known auto breeder. Something like ac/dc x gorilla glue auto (I just made that up). We know the auto seeds have the CBD gene from the parent. But at what actual ratio (if any) and what actual percentage? In the photoperiod world, we can take a cut of our CBD plants, have them tested, and keep the plants rich in CBD. With autos and CBD it seems to be a crap shoot. There is no guarantee that any of the auto flower seeds will have any testable levels of CBD. And, for the sake of discussion, let's say you found a nice CBD auto.. You send samples off to get tested and find out the plant has a 5:1 CBD to thc ratio and is hitting 12-15% CBD. So now what? You can't clone that plant to regrow it.. And popping more seeds puts you back at square one. Regardless of whether the plant is photo or auto, the ONLY way to know if you have a (high level) CBD strain, is through testing.

I see more companies putting out CBD auto flower seeds.. I'm also seeing people grow them out and report back amazing CBD type results. Are their reports the result of the "placebo effect", since testing is the only way to know if CBD is even remotely involved? I'm also wondering how CBD autos can benefit the home grower without breaking the bank ($25-$45 a test) and testing every plant. The auto breeders probably won't list any CBD to THC ratios on their packaging, since incurs such a monetary cost and can't be guaranteed.

So what are your thought of CBD auto flower strains? Can you see them being a benefit cost/medication wise? Have you grown any? Of so, could you tell any difference? Would you buy a pack of CBD autos if you knew you had a 25% chance at getting a CBD plant? Let's talk!

Ruderalis is higher in cbd than regular MJ.
The two main things auto breeders do is to use ruderalis to incorporate the auto gene, and then get rid of the high-killing cbd.
So making a high cbd auto is probably much easier than making a high cbd photo, because some cbd is already there.
I'd trust cbd claims from good auto breeders.

Good idea for a discussion. I've grown White Widow CBD strains from two major breeders [Dinafem and Dutch Passion]. I enjoy smoking them and they grew out fine but it would be good to have more facts and figures. It's hard for me to be objective about smoking weed lol. But I reach for these strains when I'm feeling like I need more relief :thumbsup:and I intend to keep seeking them out so any good information is appreciated.

Ruderalis is higher in cbd than regular MJ.
The two main things auto breeders do is to use ruderalis to incorporate the auto gene, and then get rid of the high-killing cbd.
So making a high cbd auto is probably much easier than making a high cbd photo, because some cbd is already there.
I'd trust cbd claims from good auto breeders.
I'd have to disagree.. CBD photo period plants have been around forever. The amount of CBD that a true Ruderalis has, doesn't compare to say ac/dc (20:1 CBD) or Harley quinn (15:1). Plus you can breed photo periods to increase the CBD content. The cbd autos that the major/trusted breeders are releasing are photo period cbd strains crossed to an auto. You can clone the autos so I'm not sure how you can get consistent results. For example, if you owned an edible business, would you trust cbd autos enough to use them as your crop? I have soo many questions, lol

I've been slowly making the change to all cbd grows. When my shoulders are burning, I hit one of my cbd strains and the burning disappears. At that point I don't care whether the percentage is true or not. It works, so no complaint.

Dinafem is the breeder that I use the most for cbd strains and I carry hope that their numbers are accurate. They are a quality breeder.

But let's get real. In the consumer market, "up sell" is the mantra of mantras and of course that is bullsheet. We are stuck and manufacturers take no responsibility. It's extremely frustrating. Maybe one day we will have access to a test kit for we home growers.

Do we have any evidence to say FB DP or Dinafem aren’t giving us true numbers. I would have to assume if Dinamed strains are being advertised as having a certain percentage of CBD they have been doing random testing. Just curious where the skepticism would come from if using a reliable well known breeder whose reputation would be in the line.
FB

So if one took high CBD photo and crossed to auto and kept back crossing until they received females that produced high cbd once achieved you could then inbreed the line to take it to fully auto then test those for consistency in higher cbd ratios

I'd have to disagree.. CBD photo period plants have been around forever. The amount of CBD that a true Ruderalis has, doesn't compare to say ac/dc (20:1 CBD) or Harley quinn (15:1). Plus you can breed photo periods to increase the CBD content. The cbd autos that the major/trusted breeders are releasing are photo period cbd strains crossed to an auto. You can clone the autos so I'm not sure how you can get consistent results. For example, if you owned an edible business, would you trust cbd autos enough to use them as your crop? I have soo many questions, lol

With medicinal edibles every single batch is tested as CBD is dosed in mg.

Doesn't matter if the CBD was derived from hemp or from autos, if it's not tested you can not properly dose.

Fine for recreational, not for medicinal

So if one took high CBD photo and crossed to auto and kept back crossing until they received females that produced high cbd once achieved you could then inbreed the line to take it to fully auto then test those for consistency in higher cbd ratios
Ehhh, not exactly. Back crossing is something you do with photo period plants that you can clone or keep around.... I have yet to see an auto bx. So in your scenario, you'd "back cross" to the high CBD photo strain. And every time you do that, the auto gene gets more recessive, or gets bred out completely. But let's say for discussion, that it would work that way.. who ever buys those seeds would still need to test every seed for the CBD content. Even with a high CBD photo period crossed to a high CBD photo period, you'd still have to test each offspring for CBD. CBD is not guaranteed. Imagine the amount of inbreeding you'd have to do to a human to get to a point where you can say with fact that all of their offspring will have at least 10 freckles.. There's no way to guarantee genetic outcome. But that's why I want to have a discussion! To see if this can be talked out and understood, lol.

With medicinal edibles every single batch is tested as CBD is dosed in mg.

Doesn't matter if the CBD was derived from hemp or from autos, if it's not tested you can not properly dose.

Fine for recreational, not for medicinal
Exactly, so a pile of bud with zero CBD would not be cool. And it seems that's what the case is with autos. You have to test every plant just to see of its worth growing out for its CBD content.

Back