Any advice on water pH?

Letting water stand will allow chlorine to dissipate but chloramines are a stronger more persistent chemical. It will not break down on it's own, hence if you have chloramines you need a specific filter or the vit c trick.
Assuming the department of utilities report for drinking water quality for citizens doesn't include "chloramine" in a keyword search (just to be sure); then is there a benefit(s) to using vitamin c crystals over Ph down drops?

Assuming the department of utilities report for drinking water quality for citizens doesn't include "chloramine" in a keyword search (just to be sure); then is there a benefit(s) to using vitamin c crystals over Ph down drops

Ah it depends on the municipality. The water report here states that they use chlorine and chloramines although not how much. I think its a pretty standard 3-4ppm as the stuff is quite strong.

As far as I know something about the vitamin C, ascorbic acid, breaks the bond of the ammonia to the chlorine. pH down drops do not do it.

@Mañ'O'Green is the one who told us about it. He would be the best resource to ask.

Assuming the department of utilities report for drinking water quality for citizens doesn't include "chloramine" in a keyword search (just to be sure); then is there a benefit(s) to using vitamin c crystals over Ph down drops?
Look for Ammonia in the sanitation section of the water report, ammonia and chlorine forms chloramines. No, don't use vitamin C for ph down, use Nitric Acid in veg and Phosphoric Acid in Flower for PH down and General Hydroponics PH up.
I purchased this particular brand off Amazon. 1lb/$14 and I think, think, it was only 50micrograms per gallon needed. Wait till the pro checks in to confirm.

Amazon product

added in. 50mg per gallon will treat water with 3.8 PPM of chloramines. This is the common strength used to sanitize water.
MILLIGRAM not microgram.

Look for Ammonia in the sanitation section of the water report, ammonia and chlorine forms chloramines. No, don't use vitamin C for ph down, use Nitric Acid in veg and Phosphoric Acid in Flower for PH down and General Hydroponics PH up.

added in. 50mg per gallon will treat water with 3.8 PPM of chloramines. This is the common strength used to sanitize water.
MILLIGRAM not microgram.
Thank you, that is very interesting. It looks like like "ammonia" is not in the report either, so 🤞.

Since Vitamin C is not necessary in this instance for chloramine removal, nor recommended for a down...it sounds like I should continue to use up the General Hydroponics down I have as that is Phosphoric Acid I believe; and hopefully it is not terrible as a seed-to-harvest Ph-down since that is where I'm at with my intentionally rudimentary continual growing tent circus 🎪:

here is my water report, hmm don't see Ammonia hmmmmm, let me know if yall see it listed

Attachments

• 2022 water report.pdf
    189.2 KB · Views: 5
Back