Any idea what's going on?

Reaction score
Hello All,

Problem: Leaves dying/yellowing. NLS disease?

Medium/grow method: Roots organic orginal with bottom 1/3 mixed with 1lb Nature's Living Soil(autoflower). 5 Gallon Fabric pots

Feed: and supplements used: Cal mag Pro, Bud Bread 1/2 dose, Angels Touch 1/2 dose started feeding day 47. 8 cups of water every 2-3 days

water source: using Apera PH20 tester. 6.2 - 6.5 ph, RO water buffered with Cal Mag Pro

Strain/age: Mephisto Genetics - Double Grape Day 53 from sprout

light used: Meiju A8 LM301B 600w, 60%, 42.3 K lux using UNI-T

Climate: 76 - 85 F, 20Hr on/ 4hr off, 50% RH

Additional info: Any assistance would be appreciated. First time growing and not sure if this is just nitrogen deficiency. Topped day 16. Recharge once a week, started feeding bud bread day 47 @ 1/2 dose.
20210805_174126.jpg
20210805_174133.jpg

Stick your finger in a pot and see if there is moisture in the soil if it's been a couple of days since you watered. . Is there water leaking out the bottom of the pots when you water? They look dry and hungry.
I just looked, yea you need some nitrogen. Bud Bread lists 5.4% Nitrogen and Angels Touch is only 0.5% Nitrogen. The soils never did list nitrogen percentages.
I would go to a big box store and buy some Miracle Grow Bloom Boost and give them the recommended dose along with some water. It's 5.7% Nitrogen. Not a real high dose but it should help. I know Miracle Grow is not a good company but the plants needs some water and nitrogen.

Last edited:
@Birr:welcome:Welcome to AFN:welcome:. They do look like they need nitrogen but it also looks like you are not watering properly. Recharge forces the microbes to feed what is available. If the soil does not have the nutrients there it does not help. I am not familiar with Bud Bread but it looks like a good product. You just are not using enough and with Organic nutrients you must stay well ahead of the plants needs.

What you need to learn about watering will come with practice. Here are the basic rules: Never let the soil dry out. Soil and or coco can become hydrophobic if allowed to dry. This means it repels water. This in turn will create dry pockets in the soil and the roots and microbes will die there. If your soil - coco have accidentally dried out use a surfactant to help re-wet it. I like yucca powder. Don't let soil remain soggy by watering too much too often. Root rot, damping off, molds, fungus gnats and other problems start in soggy soil. When you do water water the entire pot. How to learn when to water starts before you plant the seed. Fill your container with fresh soil/coco and weigh it (heft it) this is the lightest weight and consider it a dry pot. Now slowly water until the soil/coco will no longer absorb the water and run-off begins; weigh the pot (heft it) this is the maximum water, the wettest the pot can get. The difference between wettest and driest is the maximum water weight, for ease of explanation lets just say the water weighs 20 pounds. When the pot loses 10 pounds (half of the water weight) it is time to water again. There is an art to watering.

You should get the pot bottoms off of those trays, They need an air gap. Root rot and other anaerobic organisms thrive in that environment under the pot.

It looks like you are trying to go organic but you may need to get some faster Nitrogen to them but don't over do it. the plants are in flower and really do not need too much - in fact just watering correctly may make more available from just what is already in the pot.

We have had quite a few problems reported with the use of NLS. Always mix all of your soil components thoroughly to make a homogeneous soil. Layered soil is by physics dictated to stop the flow of water whenever it hits a new strata until the layer above is saturated. This can cause that issues already discussed.

If you are healthy, You can use your fresh urine diluted 10:1 for an organic nitrogen boost. If you decide to go that way be sure to water your pot completely the day before adding the urine solution. Look it up.

:goodluck:

• Check Off
Reactions: olegren and blue

olegren

I know watering is one of those things people talk a lot about -- but this is the best summary of how to water that I have ever seen. Thank you.
I would go to a big box store and buy some Miracle Grow Bloom Boost and give them the recommended dose along with some water. It's 5.7% Nitrogen. Not a real high dose but it should help. I know Miracle Grow is not a good company but the plants needs some water and nitrogen.

You can't be serious? Miracle Grow anything is pure crap and you should go stand in the corner until you learn the error of your ways.

Could just up the dose of Bud Bread to get more N but I wouldn't go a lot higher. Maybe 50% more. Some strains just start sucking juice out of old leaves in late stage flower like some Monkey Banana Kush I'm not growing after the last clone is done flowering in a few weeks.

I use hydro nutes with my organic efforts too but I spit when I hear the MG mentioned. Puke if it's GH.

:peace:

If you are healthy, You can use your fresh urine diluted 10:1 for an organic nitrogen boost. If you decide to go that way be sure to water your pot completely the day before adding the urine solution. Look it up.
:nono:

@Birr:welcome:Welcome to AFN:welcome:. They do look like they need nitrogen but it also looks like you are not watering properly. Recharge forces the microbes to feed what is available. If the soil does not have the nutrients there it does not help. I am not familiar with Bud Bread but it looks like a good product. You just are not using enough and with Organic nutrients you must stay well ahead of the plants needs.

What you need to learn about watering will come with practice. Here are the basic rules: Never let the soil dry out. Soil and or coco can become hydrophobic if allowed to dry. This means it repels water. This in turn will create dry pockets in the soil and the roots and microbes will die there. If your soil - coco have accidentally dried out use a surfactant to help re-wet it. I like yucca powder. Don't let soil remain soggy by watering too much too often. Root rot, damping off, molds, fungus gnats and other problems start in soggy soil. When you do water water the entire pot. How to learn when to water starts before you plant the seed. Fill your container with fresh soil/coco and weigh it (heft it) this is the lightest weight and consider it a dry pot. Now slowly water until the soil/coco will no longer absorb the water and run-off begins; weigh the pot (heft it) this is the maximum water, the wettest the pot can get. The difference between wettest and driest is the maximum water weight, for ease of explanation lets just say the water weighs 20 pounds. When the pot loses 10 pounds (half of the water weight) it is time to water again. There is an art to watering.

You should get the pot bottoms off of those trays, They need an air gap. Root rot and other anaerobic organisms thrive in that environment under the pot.

It looks like you are trying to go organic but you may need to get some faster Nitrogen to them but don't over do it. the plants are in flower and really do not need too much - in fact just watering correctly may make more available from just what is already in the pot.

We have had quite a few problems reported with the use of NLS. Always mix all of your soil components thoroughly to make a homogeneous soil. Layered soil is by physics dictated to stop the flow of water whenever it hits a new strata until the layer above is saturated. This can cause that issues already discussed.

:goodluck:
Thanks for the insight. My pots are off the saucers on trivets so no worries there. I do believe I was 2 weeks late on the feeding but with an organic grow, I was unsure if the soil needed more time to feed the roots. I will try watering to runoff. I was more worried about root rot from over watering. Again, thanks for all the recommendations. I will try all but the urine probably.

10 Day Update - @Mañ'O'Green was right on the money with the issue and the color looks much better now. The cannabilising of leaves stopped a few days after the drenching then watering properly and even got some purple on the bud structures. Again thanks to this forum for the knowledge. Drying and curing should be a fun experience.
Day 63 pics - I will probably start my flush in another 1-3 weeks.
20210815_094135.jpg
20210815_093759.jpg

Back