Grow Room Anyone build out a grow in an "under stair case" closet?

@Tom Bombadil Do you think any of this brainstorm would work instead of a second door?

Build a small wooden frame; this will fit across the bottom of the door. Staple AC Hepa filter material to it. Drill mounting holes. Screw to door (plastic anchors as needed) leaving the tiniest gap at bottom to allow door to swing freely. Stick weather stripping to floor as a "stop" to seal the bit of gap. Can also put on side door jambs or filter itself. For floor placement gently push a small piece with the door until shut. Open slowly (no draft lol), mark the edge (door side) and then use a straight edge make a long line, parallel to and just slightly closer to the door than the mark. Cut a strip the width of filter and stick it down on the clean surface.

Use thin luan or paneling for the bottom length of the box filter to allow as much air through the filter as possible. Leave the filter material long on the bottom. Bend the material to fit around and under the bottom or inside of the frame and staple it the luan/paneling. If thin, stiff metal is used for the bottom of the frame (screwed to the wood sides) duct tape, glue, or silicone the filter material to it.

Cut a hole out in the door's bottom and use a grille/vent cover (slats down) with filtration material (AC HEPA filter can be cut to fit) behind it...build frame if necessary. A floor register could be used for better 'light control' though it would look funny on a door. https://www.lowes.com/pl/Grilles-Registers-grilles-Heating-cooling/4294512214 Baseboard type with visible mounting holes, sometimes used on laundry room/closet doors to promote circulation. Attach a "sweeper" type weather strip to the bottom of the door to seal the no longer needed gap.

Also simple, and not bad cost- If halves separate it would be easy to and attach your filtration material inside. If it's just one piece the filtration material could be attached to the inside face, or directly to the door's inner surface over the vent.
Amazon product

Use a flexible "sweeper" type weatherstrip for the bottom of the door to close that gap, and weatherstripping as needed at the sides.

Yeah this is a great idea. Very similar to what I had planned with the secondary door.. The existing door cannot be modified per wifes dictate :eek1::mrgreen:

Have you thought about using one of those things that goes on carpet for desk chairs? Like this.

Heavy Duty Chair Mat for Carpeted Floor with Lip for Home & Office 36" X 48" - Premium Polycarbonate Studded Medium Standard Low Pile Carpet Desk Computer Thin Chair Mats. Amazon product

Hmmmm never thought of that... I ended up going with plywood and paint i had laying around... the cost went down a bit on the plywood recently so i went ahead and bought some!

Floor looks good, and happy spouses matter!
edit - and what didn't save in the other post... A second door would also need to open outwards along with the first. Do-able if they open in to a room (likely), and at best very hard to work with if opening to a hallway.

Last edited:
Floor looks good, and happy spouses matter!
edit - and what didn't save in the other post... A second door would also need to open outwards along with the first. Do-able if they open in to a room (likely), and at best very hard to work with if opening to a hallway.
Yeah I figured a 28-30 inch door would have enough room to open out and against the inside wall..and give me 15 sq ft to work with just a bit smaller than a 4x4 albeit a bit more awkward if I tried to grow more than 2 larger autos. My other concern is with the new fan and its static pressure capability pulling air under and around the sides of the door and through a 20x20 filter in the next door..

Hitting a snag... Want to install a door inside this closet, but the breaker box is on the same wall as the studs i want to screw the pre-hung door into and I have no idea if there are wires in the wall what the placement is or what direction they go.. That always gives you that warm and fuzzy feeling on long vacation wondering if youre house is the one billowing smoke into the air as you arrive home LOL!!! What a pain in the ass this is...
Thought about doing a panda film door but thats gonna make filtering the intake pretty much impossible. I am starting to miss my three tents :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:

Hitting a snag... Want to install a door inside this closet, but the breaker box is on the same wall as the studs i want to screw the pre-hung door into and I have no idea if there are wires in the wall what the placement is or what direction they go.. That always gives you that warm and fuzzy feeling on long vacation wondering if youre house is the one billowing smoke into the air as you arrive home LOL!!! What a pain in the ass this is...
Thought about doing a panda film door but thats gonna make filtering the intake pretty much impossible. I am starting to miss my three tents :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:
A lot of stud finders also have the ability to find wiring, would that help?

Hey @Tom Bombadil ,

Have you seen the Secret Jardin Ducting Flange accessories? The "kits" come with a cutter so you can add a duct to your tent where you want it. They clamp through the material and come in 4"/6" etc sizes. Might be worth a look if you were thinking of installing one of those zipper doors. Would let you have a clean cut hole and mount to attach an intake through. I can't seem to find a good website link but a quick google might work for ya. They have light baffles available too.

EDIT: Oh found it! NE Hydro is stateside. They have a nice set of images to show how it works.

FLANGIA-DI-CONNESSIONE-SECRET-JARDIN-DUCTING-FLANGE-PALI-DA-O25MM2.jpg

Hey @Tom Bombadil ,

Have you seen the Secret Jardin Ducting Flange accessories? The "kits" come with a cutter so you can add a duct to your tent where you want it. They clamp through the material and come in 4"/6" etc sizes. Might be worth a look if you were thinking of installing one of those zipper doors. Would let you have a clean cut hole and mount to attach an intake through. I can't seem to find a good website link but a quick google might work for ya. They have light baffles available too.

This looks pretty darn good.. But Im not sure how the flange would work if its not supported by that plastic piece hanging on the tent poles?
I was thinking of just using adhesive velco and sticking a 20x20 filter to the plastic door with the velcro or try and use the old diy intake box i made out of styrofome, although its kinda bulky and see what happens. A larger hole will minimize static pressure on the fan i was hoping... Decisions decisions.. I might have to look into your idea further. Ill update when i have the "door" "installed" lol
Thanks!

Tom what's the purpose of the 2nd door?

Liquid nail 1 x 2's up the sides and on top to make a makeshift door frame, then cut a door out of Lauan / 1/4 plywood., if that's rigid enough for what you have in mind.

Last edited:
Back