APK F3 Run

Ok, smoke report from friend/customer.......
"smoked almost a whole joint in the morning with my coffee, wasn't doing much, and couldn't believe you grew something that bad......30 min later came back to reality with sister snapping her fingers in my face saying I just kinda faded out while we were talking......crazy ass creeper I gotta be careful with"........
seems it wasn't that bad, lol

Ok, smoke report from friend/customer.......
"smoked almost a whole joint in the morning with my coffee, wasn't doing much, and couldn't believe you grew something that bad......30 min later came back to reality with sister snapping her fingers in my face saying I just kinda faded out while we were talking......crazy ass creeper I gotta be careful with"........
seems it wasn't that bad, lol

Ahahahaha! That's the truth!! I learned not to smoke APK before work for that exact reason.

Hi @Old Sage Seeds
Nice project you got there. What are your goals for the future for this cross? I read you want to isolate the girl phenos , what is the selection criterion for the males and what's your way to test them?

Have a nice day
cu tobe

Tobe, Tobe, Tobe, I can always count on you to come with the banger questions. :d5:

Goals for the Future of APK:
- For this run I am hoping to get a higher ratio of the smaller more sweet Pheno. They finish a bit quicker and tend to put on a bit more frost.
- I will more than likely do anther F3 run to try to isolate the giant pheno.
- I'm planning on using theses different APK phenos in outcrosses. The giant pheno to help increase size on outcross varietals. And the sweet pheno to help increase flavor on outcrosses. Both I am hoping keep and pass on the super spacey effects.

Male Selection Criteria:
- Honestly, this is the hardest aspect of creating reg Autoflower seeds and the part I have the least experience with.
- In veg I look for the same traits across the board (males or females). I like uniform vigorous growth and structure. I cull out anything that has mismatched nodes, leaves, or blades. I like the stem rub to smell similar to the target female plant.
- I cull the first male and first female to show sex. There is no special reason for this other than my own superstition.
- Once they are into the stretch I tend towards plants with lateral branches that stretch up and get close to the main cola while maintaining uniformity on all sides.
- For testing, the only way I know is to grow them out and see what the progeny holds. If successful, the children should be more similar to one another, more often than the previous generations. This is why I kept two slightly different females. If I missed mark in selecting the male for the desired traits, there is a possibility the second female will be more like the male and allow me to work the line in that direction instead.

I am very curious to hear your thoughts on my process and how it is similar/different than your own.

:toke:

Tobe, Tobe, Tobe, I can always count on you to come with the banger questions. :d5:

Goals for the Future of APK:
- For this run I am hoping to get a higher ratio of the smaller more sweet Pheno. They finish a bit quicker and tend to put on a bit more frost.
- I will more than likely do anther F3 run to try to isolate the giant pheno.
- I'm planning on using theses different APK phenos in outcrosses. The giant pheno to help increase size on outcross varietals. And the sweet pheno to help increase flavor on outcrosses. Both I am hoping keep and pass on the super spacey effects.

Male Selection Criteria:
- Honestly, this is the hardest aspect of creating reg Autoflower seeds and the part I have the least experience with.
- In veg I look for the same traits across the board (males or females). I like uniform vigorous growth and structure. I cull out anything that has mismatched nodes, leaves, or blades. I like the stem rub to smell similar to the target female plant.
- I cull the first male and first female to show sex. There is no special reason for this other than my own superstition.
- Once they are into the stretch I tend towards plants with lateral branches that stretch up and get close to the main cola while maintaining uniformity on all sides.
- For testing, the only way I know is to grow them out and see what the progeny holds. If successful, the children should be more similar to one another, more often than the previous generations. This is why I kept two slightly different females. If I missed mark in selecting the male for the desired traits, there is a possibility the second female will be more like the male and allow me to work the line in that direction instead.

I am very curious to hear your thoughts on my process and how it is similar/different than your own.

:toke:
Hi my friend
The female selection is easy , the male selection is much harder.

I smoke every male i use to check for potency. The male with closest set of male flowers will be used , that give the best bud structure at the females. I tested it with photoperiod plants with different males and clones to get the best testing experience. Than I used that at my autoflower projects.
Steam rub is also a part of my selection. I also inspect them with a microscope to check the little trichromes at the male flowers.
The structure of the males (grow, leaf and internot) is also important to me.
In the f2 - f4 i grow most of the time 2 -3 males in future generations i only use one male but all depends on the main goal for the project.

From the El Fuego del Shiva x Orange Assault f1 i hold a father plant in veg to use it later again , maybe for new hybrids or to backcross to the f2.

Hi my friend
The female selection is easy , the male selection is much harder.

I smoke every male i use to check for potency. The male with closest set of male flowers will be used , that give the best bud structure at the females. I tested it with photoperiod plants with different males and clones to get the best testing experience. Than I used that at my autoflower projects.
Steam rub is also a part of my selection. I also inspect them with a microscope to check the little trichromes at the male flowers.
The structure of the males (grow, leaf and internot) is also important to me.
In the f2 - f4 i grow most of the time 2 -3 males in future generations i only use one male but all depends on the main goal for the project.

From the El Fuego del Shiva x Orange Assault f1 i hold a father plant in veg to use it later again , maybe for new hybrids or to backcross to the f2.

Thanks for sharing!

This is very interesting. I will have to focus on the male bud structure more. I'm not so sure about smoking male flowers tho. Seems like you would just be smoking pollen.

What are you looking for on the stem rub for a male and does it differ from what you are looking for with a female stem rub?

Why use multiple males in the f2-4 generations? That sounds more like open pollination. Wouldn't that cause you to not know which male pollinated which female?

Thanks for sharing!

This is very interesting. I will have to focus on the male bud structure more. I'm not so sure about smoking male flowers tho. Seems like you would just be smoking pollen.

What are you looking for on the stem rub for a male and does it differ from what you are looking for with a female stem rub?

Why use multiple males in the f2-4 generations? That sounds more like open pollination. Wouldn't that cause you to not know which male pollinated which female?
Hi my friend
On the steam rub all depends on the breeding goal but mostly i am looking for the same smell like the female.

To the males, i separate the different males and pollinate different buds at the same female by hand, i only do open pollination if I got a ibl or preserve a landrace.

Hi my friend
On the steam rub all depends on the breeding goal but mostly i am looking for the same smell like the female.

To the males, i separate the different males and pollinate different buds at the same female by hand, i only do open pollination if I got a ibl or preserve a landrace.

Gotcha, thanks for the clarification! I wish I had the space to run multiple separate males.

I hope your week is going well! :toke:

Hey @Old Sage Seeds do you have a strain info blurb available for the APK and Miracle Nuggets? Trying to organize my collection and get all my info organized as well lol

Back