Autos are flowering way to early

faller49

New User
Reaction score
Ok a little history… This is our first year growing auto’s. We grow strictly outdoors or outdoors in plastic tents. no lights other than the sun ever. All plants are from seed not clones.
So early this spring we decided to try some Auto’s and did so, and for first timers , great success, Very happy with results. We grew 7 plants to harvest and use… Then we got down to concentrating on the photo periods… with that going smoothly (mostly lol) we decide to grow 3 new auto strains we had… we put the seeds in on 7/17/2021. now on 8/24/2021 (and actually a week earlier) 2 are budding for sure and the other is definitely going in to flower, These have grow items the same as the first set except the time of year. They act almost , to me. like fast photo periods in that they are budding as the loss of daylight happens… But I have never read anything about not being able to grow Autos outdoors after the Summer Solstice (I am Southern Oregon coast) All pictures are of the plants being where they have been from introducing the seed to medium… seeds are Blue Dream ‘matic’ auto… Red Congolese auto … Cherry Kush auto…
Any ideas greatly appreciated,
Stay healthy and happy friends.
20210824_115839[1].jpg
20210824_115839[1].jpg
20210824_115850[1].jpg
20210824_115906[1].jpg
20210824_115942[1].jpg
20210824_115948[1].jpg
20210824_115839[1].jpg
20210824_115850[1].jpg
20210824_115906[1].jpg
20210824_115942[1].jpg
20210824_115948[1].jpg

Last edited:
I looked up Blue Dream Matic. It said flowering starts week 6. So it is two weeks early.

Autoflowers do have photoperiod genes and the length of darkness determines the start of flowering. Once they hit 12 hours of darkness, they will put out pistils. The ruderalis genetics mean that even though the darkness period may be only 7 hours, it will start flowering anyway.
The good thing is your plants have time to develop buds and weight before the cold weather hits. Their color is a light green according to your pics. I would feed them more.

Last edited by a moderator:
I looked up Blue Dream Matic. It said flowering starts week 6. So it is two weeks early.

Autoflowers do have photoperiod genes and the length of darkness determines the start of flowering. Once they hit 12 hours of darkness, they will put out pistils. The ruderalis genetics mean that even though the darkness period may be only 7 hours, it will start flowering anyway.
The good thing is your plants have time to develop buds and weight before the cold weather hits. Their color is a light green according to your pics. I would feed them more.
So if I was to take say a 15 day old Auto and give it like 2 days/night 12/12 cycle. They will start throwing Pistols?

So if I was to take say a 15 day old Auto and give it like 2 days/night 12/12 cycle. They will start throwing Pistols?
No it doesn’t. Work like that, the plant has to be mature first. I’m currently running a photo auto cross 12/12 from the starts. Day 17 and no pistols. What I mean neither auto nor photo will show sex before maturity. And that’s regardless of light schedule. Recheck your dates if think they plant is moving too fast.
In my opinion, it sound like a typical auto.
FA2483AD-D6BF-4D5C-B6A6-0AF226E896FE.jpeg

Indoors I like to get 30 days b4 they start flowering but that rarely happens. I have had them start after 15 days. They are made to have a short veg period, to cut down on the length of grow. Outside they have run between 25 and 40 days for the most part. They have a mind of their own.
Some when they hit the bottom of the pot they will start flowering.

Every auto i have grown so far as shown me pistols within 12-16 days from seed and i have had mostly short plants due to this, no complaints though i like small plants as i can grow more of them.

I do not know.. My buds from the spring grow was bigger than these plants,, (spring autos pictures included)20210531_102702[1].jpg20210625_122733[1].jpg20210620_142713[1].jpg20210622_193753[1].jpg

But 2 weeks early is a lot early compared to what photo period 2 weeks would be.. At the rate they grow it could mean a foot or more of growth.. these plants are at 13 inches for the alone one to 17 inches for the tallest one.. My spring auto flower plants were all over 30 inches and 2 got to 38 inches.. On the spring plants none of them came in a the recommended time.. all went over by about 2 weeks..,, Maybe the cool weather here on the coast.. but we found that 60 to 70 days to harvest was not feasible.. 80 to 90 days was more the norm..

It could just probably be genetics or some underwatering (I've personally seen my plants that I don't put much attention watering wise they tend to finish quicker. I'm not sure on the underwatering but it's something I've noticed)

As far as finishing times on packages those times are with everything perfect environment and what not.

Back