Calling out bad Autoflower genetics/actors

These companies presumably have relatively sophisticated in-house breeding programs, now including
I am not comfortable with that presumption but maybe so (maybe Dinafem - but that's moot). So much money jumped into cannabis so quickly - a lot of it stupid. Like building out a team but not the facilities. Or vice versa. Or capital issues. Whatever. F-ing wild west seems like to me.

That's why when I buy a Mando, for instance, I have no concerns because I know the breeder. Shook his hand, talked to him, burned one with man. Even a brief conversation reveals that he has put his heart and soul into his breeding and the massive amounts of time, money and decision-making involved. And boy are the results impressive.

It's why I buy my food at the farmer's market. It's nice to be able to shake the hand of the folks who grew your food. IMHO, etc.

I am not comfortable with that presumption but maybe so (maybe Dinafem - but that's moot). So much money jumped into cannabis so quickly - a lot of it stupid. Like building out a team but not the facilities. Or vice versa. Or capital issues. Whatever. F-ing wild west seems like to me.

That's why when I buy a Mando, for instance, I have no concerns because I know the breeder. Shook his hand, talked to him, burned one with man. Even a brief conversation reveals that he has put his heart and soul into his breeding and the massive amounts of time, money and decision-making involved. And boy are the results impressive.

It's why I buy my food at the farmer's market. It's nice to be able to shake the hand of the folks who grew your food. IMHO, etc.
Brother I like the way you think.
Alot of growers are letting the hype choose their strains. I hang out in a few photo groups. Many of these guys hate auto. Yet they are still making them. And that’s because they are in high demand.
Afn is basically the home of auto flowers, yet growers are stepping from this platform and seeking other avenues for their gear.
There are plenty of good guys here, that have been doing their auto thing, yet people are walking by them. All a breeder has to do is say “elite this” or “hype that” and people of our community will flock to it. The guys on the other side know this, so they keep churning them out.
And they will keep producing them, as long as there is a market.
There is enough information on afn to help anyone to make an informed decision when it comes to choosing good auto genetics.
Plus there are numerous auto strains that were created right here with tons of information about them that are being ignored.
These breeder are the backbone of the afn community. These are the guys with a real working knowledge of the genetics. Even with the lack of afn support, these breeder continue to work on their projects. Keep up the good work guys.
However I do understand why those interested choose to walk by afn created strains. Just look above at what afn is saying about the smaller independent breeders.
Most don’t have any working knowledge about the strains that are created here, yet they choose to turn others off. So it’s no wonder those interested choose other resources to get their gear. With that said, if we cannot support each other, why should someone else.

Hey @terp182 - great thread. Very interesting question.

I guess I'm confused as to what a "fake auto" is. One that has a high risk of turning out photo, hermie, etc? Or one that was just Cool Cultivar of the Month x some auto ?

That's kind of what I was getting at. I wouldn't call them fake autos, but I'd group it all - poor photo-to-auto conversions, cut corners in breeding, hermie prone, white labeled or relabeled something else, etc - together in a category of "I don't want to spend my money on that". It seems that the greedy/bad players are the ones glomming onto the Cool Cultivar of the Month releases, but I don't think it's exclusive to those at all.

I'm relieved to hear about MoW's good FastBuds experiences. I got my packs from a good bank - North Atlantic. My concern is just wasting my time and money on crappy genetics, but after writing that first post and reading some replies, I'm just going to run the suspect stuff all at once and A/B compare it where I can. I just hate the thought of scammers preying on noobs trying to help themselves out - it's really hard sometimes to tell good info from bad regarding autos. I'll make sure to show my work regardless of how it turns out.

Last edited:
The problem with chemdog is the fact that there's 5 different chems from the original 12 bag seed. The short version goes like this. 4 seeds were popped in 91 resulting in the 91 and chem sis. The 91 is considered by most breeders to be the best or most potent. Then a few years later joebrand, the guy who sold the chemdog to chemdog, met back up with each other and that resulted with chem d and chem #4. Chem number 4 went around for years being confused with the 91 or passed off as the 91. From what I hear chem d and 91 are the best phenos of the bunch. There was a couple males of the 8 seeds and a couple junk phenos.

This leads me to the point of which chem was worked into an auto and was it a verified cut? The dawg part comes from jjnyc and his work making stardawg and playing with chem lines.

I really wanted to try the chemdawg from fastbuds and the stardawg. Fastbuds does have a good reputation as far as I'm concerned but I guess it depends. I think the chemdawg auto you have will be fire. I have some chem d autos that are freebies from ethos but I'm assuming will be made into a line. I'd like to get my hands on mephisto chemdogging but seems unlikely until its re released.

Also I do agree that lines should be worked and not just f1 crosses being put to market. We had this discussion briefly in a thread the other day on here. F1s are just not putting in any work imo. Thats pollen chucking not breeding. You have to actively make selections down the filial generations.

Oh yeah, I'm well familiar with the Chem lineages. The Mephisto Chemdogging is a Chem D cut (Rez Cut), and their Creme de la Chem is Stardawg x Chemdogging. There is no photo named Chemdawg (none of the phenos from the bag are "chemdawg"), so that makes me think theirs is either a Chem D cut for the photo or one of JJ's cuts. Seedsman lists the lineage as Chemdawg x Ruderalis. Again, no photo Chemdawg cut that I know of, unless they mean Chem D. And there's zero info I can find about the photo to auto conversion process for it. Another would be red flag, I would think.

I'm not saying it's bad genetics, I'm just wondering aloud why would they not show their work in describing the lineage in detail, and is it in fact a red flag if they don't?

It seems that the greedy/bad players are the ones glomming onto the Cool Cultivar of the Month releases, but I don't think it's exclusive to those at all.
I agree

I'm relieved to hear about MoW's good FastBuds experiences

Mine have been generally positive as well. Interestingly, I get better germ rates from FB gear than Meph (but once she hits flower . . .) . Sure seems like they are train-jumpers though (Runtz, Strawnana, Bruce Banner, PP, etc.) and man they push out strains quickly.

I think it's a continuum of good to bad genetics out there, with attendant phenotypic variability. That why researching the breeder is important. IMHO we are at a point in Autos where there is decreasing need to tie it to a particular photo genetic. For example (since I've grown it) what is a Sour Stomper? Sure the "Sour" line and the Grape Stomper plus ruderalis genetics - but it's really it's own cultivar "group" now. I could give a shit about its photo lineage. The plant stands on its own merits. So now we have a "Sour Stomper" line - given the robust crosses arising.

I guess the other side of the coin is the argument that it's all C. sativa and all we are doing is pushing around genes from the four or five major original "landrace" lines (Afghani, Thai, Columbian, etc) but by now I would think there has been substantial new adaptations and changes arising from time.

Make sense?

Again, no photo Chemdawg cut that I know of, unless they mean Chem D. And there's zero info I can find about the photo to auto conversion process for it. Another would be red flag, I would think.

Thats basically what I was getting at. I was wondering about the lineage and it makes me suspect too. I knew mephisto had theirs listed just couldn't remember from memory without looking the strain guide. Would like to hear your opinion. None of my money has ever gone to fastbuds but I do have freebies from seed banks from them.

Anybody got any recommendations for a seed bred by someone on here? Got space for 1 plant opening up soon. Prefer something uplifting/energizing. Indoor. Other than mando... Gotta take card, Venmo, cashapp...

What makes one "good"? I've grown from about 17 breeders and numerous kinds. 11 being vendors here And it's all a blurr And multiples of alot and give seeds to friends to grow yet I never end up with the same end result. I've had F5s with different phenos. I've had F4 mutants. II recently grew 3 girl scout cookies and gave a 4th to a friend a seed from a breeder that's a vendor here autoseeds. Every single plant different lol. What makes that any better than someone who made an F1? Personally I'll take an F1 before An F2 and F3 anymore. I haven't been too fond of F3s whether it's ones bought or ones I've created.

Anybody got any recommendations for a seed bred by someone on here? Got space for 1 plant opening up soon. Prefer something uplifting/energizing. Indoor. Other than mando... Gotta take card, Venmo, cashapp...
If you're looking for uplifting. Bruce Banner from Sweet Seeds fits that perfectly :thumbsup:

Back