Indoor Cannabis allergies

Reaction score
If you are allergic to cannabis would it be to both male and female plants? Is there a difference between the pollen? Would the form in which it takes make a difference ex. Fresh bud vs dried vs combusted

Secondly, if you do smell marijuana (non combusted, in fresh bud form) is it necessarily the pollen that carries the scent? Have a neighbour that insists they are terribly allergic to cannabis and every time they smell it (again non combusted) that they break out into all sorts of symptoms that I strongly suspect are psychosomatic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you are allergic to cannabis would it be to both male and female plants? Is there a difference between the pollen? Would the form in which it takes make a difference ex. Fresh bud vs dried vs combusted

Secondly, if you do smell marijuana (non combusted, in fresh bud form) is it necessarily the pollen that carries the scent? Have a neighbour that insists they are terribly allergic to cannabis and every time they smell it (again non combusted) that they break out into all sorts of symptoms that I strongly suspect are psychosomatic.

Pollen doesn't carry much of a scent.

If they are getting actual "allergic reactions" just from the smell of a grow (or more likely the close proximity) they must be severely alergic... yes that is possible....

Years ago I watched a young lady turn blotchy purple, swell, and have difficulty breathing just from walking into a grow building.

:pass:

‘Actually allergic’ is the key. They claim to get dry eyes and not ‘feel well’. Always different non descript symptoms.

I find it hard to believe that from a tent in a dedicated room with a carbon filter, with the tent that is only ever opened when closed inside of the room which vents outdoors that there would be any reaction. It would need to get through a few sets of doors that are ‘near’ airtight sealed. The room is only ever opened every few days.

There can be a temporary mild scent from time to time which comes with having an actual bud out, but again it seems to be incredibly exaggerated. Never is anything lit.

It also seems odd that it’s been grown since it was legalized back in October, already completed a third harvest, and it’s only now they’ve raised the concern. I certainly don’t want to be insensitive but it seems like once they were made aware of the plants it became an issue...

Or maybe once they were made aware of the plants they were able to identify their allergen ...

They did not present with allergies prior to...

Sounds fishy to me, I've never in my life heard of a marijuana allergy. If I was you id pop round to them with some bud in my pocket unwrapped and see if they notice it's there. If they don't they are talking shit [emoji106] even if my country goes legal on growing ill still keep my grow a secret, just so I won't have to deal with intolerant people on the issue.

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

It’s funny you say that because their kids smoke, lots. She says she smells it on them but never complains or presents with allergies around them (but she will comment about it).

The wife is the one that has had minimal exposure throughout her life, she’s been extremely sheltered, which is why she has a ‘oh no pot scary bad’ stance. The husband has had lots of exposure and couldn’t care less other than his wife complains.

If only there was a bud that didn’t smell...The problem I think would be just about any bud would almost certainly have a smell to it which would ‘set her off’, the second she smells it dramatics ensue which causes a reaction but a mental ‘pot bad’ versus a genuine reaction.

To the previous commenter, not sure if you edited your comment or I just noticed the grow op anecdote just now. No one is walking into a grow op. Small tent, four plants, sealed room, claim is that the smell alone (which I guess comes from outdoors) is enough to induce a variety of symptoms that change every time we chat. The timing is suspect to say the least.

This is why I was asking about whether female plants also produce, if it’s different from male pollen, etc. I understand pollen may irritate someone. With it being legalized here you get a whiff of it steadily while walking, driving, standing in line, basically anywhere, but it doesn’t mean you’re coming in contact with the pollen. I’ve never heard of someone simply being allergic to this type of smell.

Have a neighbour that insists they are terribly allergic to cannabis and every time they smell it (again non combusted) that they break out into all sorts of symptoms that I strongly suspect are psychosomatic.
Have you actually seen this, or are you taking their word for it?

No I’ve not seen it, it’s what they claim. You name a symptom and they automatically seem to adopt it. Hey have you had red itchy eyes? Yes! Have you grown a third arm because that’s also a common symptom? Oh my goodness yes I’ve actually grown 6 arms it’s so bad.

I don’t want to discount people having an allergy / condition that I can’t see (ex. Celiac, diabetes, cancer) however I have to call all sorts of bull on this one.

I tend to sneeze and get an itchy throat and eyes when trimming..it could be other allergens since its that time of year currently..but ive had the symptoms often enough in different seasons that a correlation seems plausible
100 organic so its not chem residue or anything.
:kitty:

Last edited:
Back