New Grower Cannabis and its response to light (a discussion about leaf lift)

Ok guys, i am in a chatty mood this morning and i wanted to gather some fresh information for the soon to come Art of The Auto section.

During my years of growing i have noticed a phenomenon in my plants that i could never really explain other than pure health and response to the light that they were growing under, and that is leaf lift. You see it after the lights come on and they stay that way all day, as if they are praying to the light that they are under.

Most outdoor growers probably see this more than the indoor guys do but, i think that if the environment is right. Youll see it inside just as much as you would outside. To me i always saw it as the plant activating its suction method of moisture from the soil. Now this is completely my thoughts and there is no scientific evidence behind that but they lift during the day and then as the day progresses they drop and by lights off they are relaxed and down again. I think during that process they are drawing the water they need for the next day, and then buy morning or lights on they are back up to repeat the process.

Most of the time we see this during the start of flower and then all the way through until they are finished. Its something amazing to see and if they are really happy in their homes they really put on the show. Now ive said what i think that the process is FOR but the thing is WHY?? Something has to trigger that movement and i think it has a lot to do with spectrum of the light as well as how much light it is getting. Ive seen it under HPS, MH, and LED so i know that it can be replicated. Its just something awesome to see.

So what are your thoughts AFN?

This is some of the most aggressive i have ever seen of my plants

full

I see it often actually indoors. I have two or three that are dong that that are only a cpl inches difference and one is the same strain as others.,not doing that leaf lift.

imho there is nothing out of the norm here. I see this often fro hotter soils,aggressive strains and of course lacking slightly or a lot of light/Photons. usually just aggressive and light associated imo. and like Nammy said,in the AM they are ready n roll usually. but just prior to the lights coming on ime,I dont see a lotta leaf lift. it has to do with the photons imo...mostly anyways. swut I see most often anyways. I monitor my plants often as we all do.

005.JPG
025.JPG
026.JPG

Recently read that some studies are saying that more than 20hours of light may be a waste of electricity. Not sure myself one way or the other.

Your statement in whole is a bit confusing, if cannabis was indeed a "C3 Plant" then they wouldnt have photo-periods. So how would you trigger a photo plant indoors to flower?
Running your lights 24/0 is only getting you a higher power bill, i have never seen improved yields, my self with the lights running all the time.

@wxguy got it right, it’s phototropism. And when the girls are happy in their homes, they’ll work out like athletes instead of being couch potatoes just getting fat on excess transpiration and strong nutes.. Happiness really does bring out the best in them. This is my current grow

xZ4JZho.jpg

Here you can see an Auto Blackberry Kush dance to a 75w light…

Nice Video - its a shame there was less video towards the end of the grow << re the topic it looked like the plant really showed this off during stretch but less so after ? > Phototopism is the right term as per above and @wxguy- many plants display it (Clover and Wood Sorrels being typical examples which entirely close their leaves at night).

im only on my 2nd grow but on my 1st mine used to do it all the time under a 600w hps its was like they were praying to the light god it was a joy to see

Crazy theory on this ive developed from observing lots of plants: seems pretty well known the plants will do this when they are "happy" and growing well. A leaf serves many purposes but one role is rain collection. With leaves upward pointing they will direct more water toward the center of the plant and eventually center of root mass.

When a plant isnt doing so well it does not use up as much available water, nutes, light etc so to keep the roots from being over saturated they turn leaves downward which would direct water toward the outside on the plant and root mass.

Crazy theory on this ive developed from observing lots of plants: seems pretty well known the plants will do this when they are "happy" and growing well. A leaf serves many purposes but one role is rain collection. With leaves upward pointing they will direct more water toward the center of the plant and eventually center of root mass.

When a plant isnt doing so well it does not use up as much available water, nutes, light etc so to keep the roots from being over saturated they turn leaves downward which would direct water toward the outside on the plant and root mass.
That is really sound reasoning and exactly how mother nature builds in adaptability. Another thought, I usually see this mostly on the top parts of the plant. Could it be that mother nature is raising the tops up some to allow more light to the lower leaves that lay more flat to catch more rays. :pass:

That just blew my mind a bit...

Back