New Grower Cannabis and its response to light (a discussion about leaf lift)

Ok guys, i am in a chatty mood this morning and i wanted to gather some fresh information for the soon to come Art of The Auto section.

During my years of growing i have noticed a phenomenon in my plants that i could never really explain other than pure health and response to the light that they were growing under, and that is leaf lift. You see it after the lights come on and they stay that way all day, as if they are praying to the light that they are under.

Most outdoor growers probably see this more than the indoor guys do but, i think that if the environment is right. Youll see it inside just as much as you would outside. To me i always saw it as the plant activating its suction method of moisture from the soil. Now this is completely my thoughts and there is no scientific evidence behind that but they lift during the day and then as the day progresses they drop and by lights off they are relaxed and down again. I think during that process they are drawing the water they need for the next day, and then buy morning or lights on they are back up to repeat the process.

Most of the time we see this during the start of flower and then all the way through until they are finished. Its something amazing to see and if they are really happy in their homes they really put on the show. Now ive said what i think that the process is FOR but the thing is WHY?? Something has to trigger that movement and i think it has a lot to do with spectrum of the light as well as how much light it is getting. Ive seen it under HPS, MH, and LED so i know that it can be replicated. Its just something awesome to see.

So what are your thoughts AFN?

This is some of the most aggressive i have ever seen of my plants

full

I beleve all plants need a break from daylight, a dark period or rest period.During this rest period is when they process the energy that they absorbed during daylight and turn it into food for the plants.During this rest time they are sort of sleeping and thus you see the drooping leaves.Then when lights come one they go into there photosenthis process lifting there leaves to absorb sunlight or artificial light and and this process happens every day and is normal.

I beleve all plants need a break from daylight, a dark period or rest period.During this rest period is when they process the energy that they absorbed during daylight and turn it into food for the plants.During this rest time they are sort of sleeping and thus you see the drooping leaves.Then when lights come one they go into there photosenthis process lifting there leaves to absorb sunlight or artificial light and and this process happens every day and is normal.

Oh i knew it was normal, but i have seen where its not produced in a grow room. Ive also had plants in the same room do it and others not. I think that there is something more to it other than just normal plant function.

Yesterday i swapped my MH for the Hps and noticed my pineapple express looked extra happy/leaf lifting/praying to the light.

I've watched some time lapse videos and to me it looks almost synched with growth spurts, but thats just like my opinion man. :pass:

cannabis is a C3 plant and needs no darkness for anything, so nobody has ever convinced me there is a good reason to shut them down at night and start them back up in the morning. How do your leaves lift under 24/0?

Your statement in whole is a bit confusing, if cannabis was indeed a "C3 Plant" then they wouldnt have photo-periods. So how would you trigger a photo plant indoors to flower?
Running your lights 24/0 is only getting you a higher power bill, i have never seen improved yields, my self with the lights running all the time.

something like this, I found a scientific article once when I googled cannabis C3

Plants have several versions of photosynthesis. Cannabis is considered a "C-3" plant. These plants do not absorb or store CO2 during the dark period. "C-4" plants, mostly grasses, and "CAM" plants, mostly cactus and succulents, save CO2 during the dark. This is why CO2 supplementation is so important in enclosed cannabis gardens. There are about 380 parts per million (ppm) CO2 in the atmosphere. In a garden with no ventilation this is used up quickly. Once the amount of CO2 goes down to 200 ppm, photosynthesis stops until the CO2 is replenished.

On the thread of the leaves following-the-light phenomenon, it as very real and it is called phototropism.. Cells in the stem of the leaf elongate on the shady side, This bends the stem towards the the light.

It works on very short timescales. On a summer day here in Alaska, the sun has about a 250 degree path across the sides. For survival in Alaska, plants compete for photons throughout a 20 hour summer day. The species that survive have adapted to exploit phototropism. On a clear day, the cottonwood and birch leaves face to the NE in the morning and phototropism will turn them to track with the sun South at 1:00 pm and NW at 11:00 PM at sunset.

As a matter of course, I rotate my indoor plants about 120 degrees every watering 2-3 times a week.

Amnesia (2-3 wks out) , White Widow( funky plant 3 wks out), Autokush (month out), bubble gum (month out)

Back