Lighting Cobshop.net info, questions and answers

I've moved on to primarily using quantum boards (with current Samsung LEDs) and using AutoCOBs for supplemental/side lighting.

With their light starting out spread out vs. the point source AutoCOBs, quantum boards start out with an advantage in terms of canopy penetration, being able to reach more leaf surfaces from more angles. Most models will be even more efficient vs. AutoCOBs.

Among 8 AutoCOBs, the earlier 55 watt model, so I guess they're >5 years old(?), one recently no longer works. I consider that excellent value.

Perhaps check out quantum boards, with good examples from HLG, Spider Farmer, Mars, etc. There's lot of competition in the 100 and 200 watts range. Otherwise, you can still find a good variety of COBs to chose from.

Hmmm a 200 watt led also uses nearly twice the electricity of 2 55 watt autocobs and produce more heat. How do the newer leds surpass the cree cobs as far as canopy penetration? Interesting.
4 Autocobs, older 55w and newer 65 w , equal pull to 200 wt spider farmer…no comparison. Far superior in every way and that is the cheap one. Today’s LEDs are a game changer. I’ve grown side by side .
Im going to tag @Frankthetank . We both used Autocobs exclusively for years.

I’ve got an hlg Diablo 650r….the canopy penetration is much better. I was just remarking the other day that larfy lower buds are a thing of the past. The entire harvest has increased in quality, by a substantial margin.

I replaced a total of 9 cobs with the new hlg, and could not be happier with it. :pass: :d5:

Just want to also mention these lights come with dimmers. You can start at 50percent and adjust accordingly. No need to raise/lower lights. Light degrades fast ( inverse square law) with distance.

Just want to also mention these lights come with dimmers. You can start at 50percent and adjust accordingly. No need to raise/lower lights. Light degrades fast ( inverse square law) with distance.
Haha I start mine at 20% from sowing, to three days above….then start increasing from there. I’m at 100% by the second week of flower.

Haha I start mine at 20% from sowing, to three days above….then start increasing from there. I’m at 100% by the second week of flower.
I’m at 100percent on mine as well by then. I’m cheap and using the HLG 240 watt black wing at 50percent, or 120 watts until transition. Turn on the SF200 at 50 percent until 3rd week in flower, then crank em. Similar output for sq footage. I seen nothing wrong with tacoing and crocodile teeth mid/late flower. Push em’

I’m at 100percent on mine as well by then. I’m cheap and using the HLG 240 watt black wing at 50percent, or 120 watts until transition. Turn on the SF200 at 50 percent until 3rd week in flower, then crank em. Similar output for sq footage. I seen nothing wrong with tacoing and crocodile teeth mid/late flower. Push em’
sounds good!

I'm just not sure how to expand my lighting setup now, the 4 autocob ights did me well in my 3x3 space.. but I was looking at making it a 4x4 or maybe 4x6 space this time and I thought I'd grab another light or two from cobshop.net but now I don't know what the heck to do LOL.

i gotta say im a little worried hearing people say they eventually break because I'm definitely not a lighting nerd & never wanted to have to fix my own lights. My fine motor skills and eyesite are quite poor for that sort of thing, yikes lol

I really don't know where to start with finding a light that will work with these.. most of the lights on Amazon are big footprints and a lot are purple lol. My 5th light I always kept in a different setup because of the big footprint & the fact that it needs to be close to the plants vs these autocobs that pretty much stay at the top of the tent for the most part.. is it that big of a deal to mix lights?

Its not that a wide light needs to be set closer, its that it can be because it patterns better.

The closer any light is, the more you can dim it to get the same DLI on your plants. This saves electricity.

A COB is almost a point source, so it has to be a certain minimum distance to lessen the center hot spot.

I have a large strip light(FC8000) It can be run as close as 6" I have a low ceiling height grow area.

I see no reason you couldn't run your COB up high above a strip light. Obviously a panel type light would block the COB.

Its not that a wide light needs to be set closer, its that it can be because it patterns better.

The closer any light is, the more you can dim it to get the same DLI on your plants. This saves electricity.

A COB is almost a point source, so it has to be a certain minimum distance to lessen the center hot spot.

I have a large strip light(FC8000) It can be run as close as 6" I have a low ceiling height grow area.

I see no reason you couldn't run your COB up high above a strip light. Obviously a panel type light would block the COB.
Yes !! That's exactly what my concern is. Having lower lights will block some of that direct light which is why I always kept the cobs by themselves. I was hoping someone might know another light that's more like the cob and I'd be able to keep it up high with the cobs. Part of it is also just my own OCD wanting all the lights to be same, guess I'll have to fit over that because as they die it doesn't look like I'll be able to replace them, I've looked on reddit, instagram & elsewhere & it seems that sadly, bigsm0/ cobshop.net are totally gone 😢

Back