DIY Collecting and Storing Pollen

This is how we learn man. Hard lessons tent to stick with ya....

No problem. Yeah, keep us posted on that older unrefrigerated pollen. U did keep it out of the light, right?
Good experiment to...
wrong lol its an an opaque plastic container will be a small miracle if it works

I have a question would a deep freeze work for storing pollen. I really cant use my fridge for storing my pollen but i have a deep freeze right next to my cab, would this work?

I have a question would a deep freeze work for storing pollen. I really cant use my fridge for storing my pollen but i have a deep freeze right next to my cab, would this work?

I know I already answered this in your PM, but I figured maybe someone else might want to know to...

So yes. Just keep it in there till your ready to use it. Don't take it in and out of the deep freeze thought. Moisture could start to collect and the pollen wont be non-viable.

Hey guys, just an update (and +rep)

I used this method when this threead was first started with a few modifications. First major differentiation was that i baked the rice for 20 minutes to completely dry it. Then, I did the same with a few tbsp of flour.

I filled my Eppendorf PCR sample tubes (search here, this company gives out free samples) half way with flour and rice mix, and put in about 1/4 tsp of pollen and shook really well, then they all went inside 2 ziplock bags in the freezer.

I took them out last week and the pollen was completely viable, and now i have samurai jacks and a mossy mix (one of the more white rhino looking) pollinated with auto assassin pollen.

Rep'd you and thanks for the inspiration

Nice Dopey Jim, and thank you for the +rep...It's good to see you members taking advantage of the threads/posts...

Hey guys, just an update (and +rep)

I used this method when this threead was first started with a few modifications. First major differentiation was that i baked the rice for 20 minutes to completely dry it. Then, I did the same with a few tbsp of flour.

I filled my Eppendorf PCR sample tubes (search here, this company gives out free samples) half way with flour and rice mix, and put in about 1/4 tsp of pollen and shook really well, then they all went inside 2 ziplock bags in the freezer.

I took them out last week and the pollen was completely viable, and now i have samurai jacks and a mossy mix (one of the more white rhino looking) pollinated with auto assassin pollen.

Well mattinuk3, nice modification and I'm glad it worked for ya...Let me know if your method works for a yrs. in storage...Or longer...

And thanks for the +rep...

Back