DIY Collecting and Storing Pollen

Glad to see the interest. If anybody has any ?'s just pm me if I don't get around the thread...

Good luck guys and happy growing

whats the lifespan of collected pollen at cool room temperatutre if its in a moistutre free an airtight container ? is it an absolute it must be refrigerated?

whats the lifespan of collected pollen at cool room temperatutre if its in a moistutre free an airtight container ? is it an absolute it must be refrigerated?

Not real sure. But heat, light and humidity destroy the pollen. I'd say maybe a month. IDK. But if you do this, and the pollen stays viable for more than that, let us know. It would be good information to have....

thanks for the reply ripster ,,ive got some stored this way i was intending using shortley but now ive started 5 beans off hoping for a male just in case ,if i get a male up an dropping pollen ill use that instead if not ill have to use just the stored stuff,,if i do get a new male ill dust a little branch with the stored pollen just as experiment ,, ill keep ya posted
ps the beans are from the stored pollen when it was fresh and if it works again it will have been 2 months at room temprature

thanks for the reply ripster ,,ive got some stored this way i was intending using shortley but now ive started 5 beans off hoping for a male just in case ,if i get a male up an dropping pollen ill use that instead if not ill have to use just the stored stuff,,if i do get a new male ill dust a little branch with the stored pollen just as experiment ,, ill keep ya posted
ps the beans are from the stored pollen when it was fresh and if it works again it will have been 2 months at room temprature

No problem. Yeah, keep us posted on that older unrefrigerated pollen. U did keep it out of the light, right?
Good experiment to...

No problem. Yeah, keep us posted on that older unrefrigerated pollen. U did keep it out of the light, right?
Good experiment to...

i never realized that light hurt pollen
maybe thats why the PBD pollen taken under the 400w hps
didnt work on the Mazar.

How long was it in the light?

i collected pollen from him for 10 days while he was growing under the hps
i just sat a cereal bowl next to him and would hold the bowl under the open flowers and shake.,but i left the bowl out in the tent until i was done collecting.
then at the end i bagged it up with rice and put it in the freezer.

i collected pollen from him for 10 days while he was growing under the hps
i just sat a cereal bowl next to him and would hold the bowl under the open flowers and shake.,but i left the bowl out in the tent until i was done collecting.
then at the end i bagged it up with rice and put it in the freezer.

Well, that may have done it. While I'm collecting, I always store it in those tubes. Plus I do leave mine out for the collecting period, otherwise the daily in and out of the fridge would collect moisture. But I always put mine in the wifes jewelry box, it's a nice dark cool place. I happen to move my males into the bed room while I get the pollen and finish out his life there...

Next time, put it in the dark and I bet it keeps better for ya...

hmmmm a waste of a superb male and all those great genetics
but i wont make that mistake again...thanks

Back