Consistent % when baking

VitaMan

Clean Glass + New Whip
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
Island Sweet Skunk, Comatose, el Chapo, and others.
:baked:
My new-found pursuit is canna baking. Due to a covid related shortage of baking supplies, all I could find was a box of brownie mix. I used infused coconut oil, warmed to liquid. I added a bit of lecithin when I whisked the oil egg and milk.

I ate one of the two brownies that didn't fit the freezer (for quality control purposes of course :biggrin:) It tasted much like a magic brownie should, but felt stronger than I expected. Not overly so, I had figured 2 brownies for a 32mg dose but this felt like 25. A week later I had the other piece, and hardly felt it.

I know my math was good, double checked it with 2 online calculators to verify my scribbles. I portioned by weight, so they are all within 2 grams different. I have made gummies and chocolates and various tinctures, extracts, and infusions that were consistent. I can make normal loafs and muffins, carrot cakes, all that kind of stuff, and as far as brownie mix goes they seemed fine.

Obviously I have a problem with dose consistency.

I hope that members can share some tips about consistent mixing when baking!

Last edited:
Wow talk about mission impossible. Make your coconut oil and send a sample to a lab for analysis. Then with an accurate scale your math will get you there. Short of that it is the old eat some then eat some more.

If you start with rosin you can make an assumption of 700mg of actives per gram which is a pretty good average. then if you know the strain of the plant is 22% THC and 7% CBD the remaining actives = 71% So that would mean 154 mg of THC, 49 mg of CBD , 497 mg of other actives. This is still just a rough guesstimate.

Ok so I did just what I suggested back in 2018 I made chocolate using my recipe and 1 gram of rosin from the Dinamed CBD and sent for analysis:
cbd1.jpg
cbd2.jpg

I am so stoned I don't remember what I am try :crying: :crying: :crying: in to say.

:baked:
My new-found pursuit is canna baking. Due to a covid related shortage of baking supplies, all I could find was a box of brownie mix. I used infused coconut oil, warmed to liquid. I added a bit of lecithin when I whisked the oil egg and milk.

I ate one of the two brownies that didn't fit the freezer (for quality control purposes of course :biggrin:) It tasted much like a magic brownie should, but felt stronger than I expected. Not overly so, I had figured 2 brownies for a 32mg dose but this felt like 25. A week later I had the other piece, and hardly felt it.

I know my math was good, double checked it with 2 online calculators to verify my scribbles. I portioned by weight, so they are all within 2 grams different. I have made gummies and chocolates and various tinctures, extracts, and infusions that were consistent. I can make normal loafs and muffins, carrot cakes, all that kind of stuff, and as far as brownie mix goes they seemed fine.

Obviously I have a problem with dose consistency.

I hope that members can share some tips about consistent mixing when baking!
Trial and error lol. I use rosin for edibles now, nowhere for me to get tested around here so only way for me. I did like ManOGreen said and did a test run. I then made a few adjustments from there and got my measurements for me with rosin. I do a g/serving for measuring size of each edible. That's only me because I dont know actual amount in yet. Once we go legal I can send out for testing. I would say try 1 or 2 more times and see how they are, maybe just a fluke. I've made some where some were stronger than others.

Ok so I did just what I suggested back in 2018 I made chocolate using my recipe and 1 gram of rosin from the Dinamed CBD and sent for analysis:
I am so stoned I don't remember what I am try :crying: :crying: :crying: in to say.

Thanks MoG and McDee

No worries, I was pretty stoned when I wrote about it!

So, I need to clarify what I meant. I am not talking about variance between batches, but within a batch.

I can rough out an approximate dose based on 80% infusion, the % of the weed, and how many servings. My gummies should have been about 22mg, and felt about 20, so it is a rough idea. Wow, wish I could afford to use a lab. The cheapest around here is $100 per test, way more that the value of a batch of oil.

What has happened is 2 servings FROM THE SAME PAN, *portioned by weight*, were different strengths. That must mean that the oil was not well distributed in the batter.

I should add that I used oil from same batch I used in my last gummies, so I am familiar with its potency.

I pretty much use hand tools in the kitchen, not much room here. Am I going to have to go buy a mixer?

Candy and chocolate are easy, adding a bit of oil to cooking is pretty straight forward, but its nice to have variety and baked goods can offer that if I can solve this.

So I took 2 from the freezer for today. I'll space them out for sure just in case, but I can take 60mg orally of indica comfortably and 2 brownies *should* be aprox 32mg THC and about 4-5mg cbd. Even if I get pieces that are double that, I will still OK.

Back