Curing overdried buds?

Powertotheflower

Auto Warrior
Reaction score
I harvested 2 plants 3 weeks ago and hung them up to dry before putting them in jars 10 days ago for curing. All instructions for curing recommended to let them dry until you can snap off a little bud without leaving strings. I did that and openend the jars every day once for a few minutes for air exchange. 2 days ago I finally gut some hygrometers and was surprized that the RH was just 52%. I've read that if it gets below 55% curing will stop and not be possible to start again.

Have I fucked it up or is there anything I can still do?

P.S. I put my 2 other plants in jars yesterday (after only 7 and 8 days of drying) although the small snaps didn't snap at all but just bended. They showed a RH of 66% and 64% today. So they should be good for a fine cure.

Never heard that about the cure stopping and not starting again but what do I know, old tricks to rehydrating over dried weed is to stick fruit peel ( orange, apple etc. in the bag for a bit) or freshly trimmed fan leaves.....you could try a half and half in a jar to see if it might rehydrate from the good stuff.

hello there - I dont think it stops curing at that low RH but going too low can produce harsher/less pleasant smoke as the various elements need time to break down at the right temp and RH - for example THCa to THC, breakdown/reduction in chlorophyll, better preservation of terps and so on. 52% is too low for certain, but 55% is acceptable - personally when I used Boveda packs I used the 58% whilst many prefer the 62% packs, in the end it is down to how you want your final product.
As bill says, just mix it in jars with some less dry product and the sweat will even things out - maybe less burping until it nudges back up and stabilizes, ultimately you want it at your preferred RH and to keep it stable there.

thanks for all these quick answers. I only heard of grove bags recently in this forum and tried to get some, but aparently they will be sold in the EU only from October on.
I have Boveda 58 and 62%. I was just afraid that it's too late for using them, cause I always read before that you can't restart the curing process if the RH went below 55%. I'm glad to hear other experiences. I use the 62-Bovedas just for curing, not for storing. I use a grinder (and a vape) and for that the weed would be too wet. Also I grow only every 2-3 years, so store it for quite a while.

thanks for all these quick answers. I only heard of grove bags recently in this forum and tried to get some, but aparently they will be sold in the EU only from October on.
I have Boveda 58 and 62%. I was just afraid that it's too late for using them, cause I always read before that you can't restart the curing process if the RH went below 55%. I'm glad to hear other experiences. I use the 62-Bovedas just for curing, not for storing. I use a grinder (and a vape) and for that the weed would be too wet. Also I grow only every 2-3 years, so store it for quite a while.
I use Grove bags but I also do tobacco and to save that cost I blend and do my own cigarettes...I buy it by the pound and the packages it comes in are big enough for 4 oz of bud, I drop a boveda in with a hygrometer and it works a treat for short term storage.....haven't been doing it long enough for long term test yet but I'm working on it.
IMG20220904093218.jpg
IMG20220904093218.jpg

Where did you hear this? I was just at their website and didn't see anything, not to mention their HQ is only an hour away, almost right in my backyard. You can buy direct from them.

https://store.grovebags.com

Back