Harvest & Curing 55% RH in curing jar?

Boneman

New User
Reaction score
I dried my buds at 59%RH at 68 deg for 9 days in tent. Stems just starting to "crack" put them in jars & now they're at 55%? Shouldn't I have to keep burping to get (down) to 62%?

I dried my buds at 59%RH at 68 deg for 9 days in tent. Stems just starting to "crack" put them in jars & now they're at 55%? Shouldn't I have to keep burping to get (down) to 62%?
Burping is just to get the gasses that build up from chlorophyll breaking down out of the jar on a regular basis. If the humidity dropped try getting some bovida or another kind of humidity regulating pack to bring it back up. Or you can put in an orange peel or a fresh leaf till the humidity gets back up.

Burping is just to get the gasses that build up from chlorophyll breaking down out of the jar on a regular basis. If the humidity dropped try getting some bovida or another kind of humidity regulating pack to bring it back up. Or you can put in an orange peel or a fresh leaf till the humidity gets back up.
Thanks, for the life of me IDK how it's even possible to get to 55% in 9 days in a 59% environment? There's something wrong here

Thanks, for the life of me IDK how it's even possible to get to 55% in 9 days in a 59% environment? There's something wrong here
No I wouldnt say theres anything wrong. You had the air moving in the tent. Dew point determines how much moister the air can hold and with the air circulating all the time it will still draw moisture out. The rh in my house is usually between 50 and 55. But I have buds in a jar at 46% right now. Its crap bud, but it can dry out dryer than the room for sure

No I wouldnt say theres anything wrong. You had the air moving in the tent. Dew point determines how much moister the air can hold and with the air circulating all the time it will still draw moisture out. The rh in my house is usually between 50 and 55. But I have buds in a jar at 46% right now. Its crap bud, but it can dry out dryer than the room for sure
I may have had too much air movement, not directly on them but maybe excessive amounts.

Waiting for stems to crack is normally a bit too long. Yes, you’re looking to be in the jars in the mid 60s and burp down. This slows the dry and lets rH equalize inside to outside of the buds. Once below 60% you’re pretty much locked in with smells and taste. (You can rehydrate , but the flavor is stuck). So if it has a hay smell or taste, then yes, it went to fast. Some of that might be gotten rid of by 30 days in a jar.

Personally, 58%-60% is my goal. Smokes a bit better rolled than when a bit more damp. But I try and get there slowly. I find the slower the dry and cure the smoother the smoke is.

When I hang a plant, the closet it goes into is 60% and 60*. No air movement. I’m usually moving to glass about 6-7 days later and it’s 65-67%.

As long as my room rH doesn’t rise, I keep air movement nonexistent.

The dry and cure is just as much of an art as the grow, so don’t sweat it too much and get some more seeds in soil.

Waiting for stems to crack is normally a bit too long. Yes, you’re looking to be in the jars in the mid 60s and burp down. This slows the dry and lets rH equalize inside to outside of the buds. Once below 60% you’re pretty much locked in with smells and taste. (You can rehydrate , but the flavor is stuck). So if it has a hay smell or taste, then yes, it went to fast. Some of that might be gotten rid of by 30 days in a jar.

Personally, 58%-60% is my goal. Smokes a bit better rolled than when a bit more damp. But I try and get there slowly. I find the slower the dry and cure the smoother the smoke is.

When I hang a plant, the closet it goes into is 60% and 60*. No air movement. I’m usually moving to glass about 6-7 days later and it’s 65-67%.

As long as my room rH doesn’t rise, I keep air movement nonexistent.

The dry and cure is just as much of an art as the grow, so don’t sweat it too much and get some more seeds in soil.
I got air moving around everywhere.... just not directly on the buds. I bet this was the prob. I have some Gelatos going in the dry tent in the next few days I will try the "nonexistent air movement" idea. Thanks Guys, you're awesome.

I may have had too much air movement, not directly on them but maybe excessive amounts.
You still want an air exchange when hang drying so the moisture that does leech from the plant has somewhere to go but you dont want as much exchange as when you were growing. Its a balance. This whole process is mostly about getting the harshness amd hay taste to go away. It takes practice to preserve terpenes. I definitely am not good at it yet, im still over drying too. Thinking about picking up a wood moisture meter. I hear its a little more accurate than relying on rh alone.

I just did an over-dry. When this happens I just throw 2-8gr Boost packs in a jar with the weed and it brings it back up. But mine was down to mid-40's rh.

Back