DIY DIY S.I.P. Bucket

Jpkindbud

Somnambulist
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
White widow
Did a bunch of research into sub irrigated planters, decided to make my own . Plan on using it in my upcoming auto grow.

SUPPLIES
1-6gal bucket from old beer brewing kit
1-5gal bucket rescued from side of the road
1-Small clear planter
2-Sections of old vacuum cleaner tube
1-1/8” hardwood dowel
1-unused wine cork cut into 1/3&2/3
Weedblock landscaping cloth

I cut the top off the 6 gal bucket to make the clear planter close to touching bottom of 6 gal bucket when it is in place in insert of 5 gal bucket
0AD77E30-02B7-42C6-9CC9-C3C05CB2BDD3.jpeg

Used as guide for insert cut in five gal bucket and drilled aeration holes in 5 gal bucket for air pruning of roots
21A89391-0BB0-4C0D-96C8-BE203EDF5745.jpeg

As well as cutting a hole for fill tube made out of 2 sections of old vacuum tube
5D1C2D5C-667A-4CEC-B1D7-48459D28DDD4.jpeg

made a water level float out of a unused wine cork and 1/8” hardwood dowel. I cut the top 1/3 of cork off making two pieces. The 2/3 section of cork I center drilled and glued the dowel into the cork. The 1/3 section I shaped to take off any hard edges and Center drilled it and slid onto dowel for a guide so float is centered in tube... making sure to put it below the split in the vacuum tube. I did not glue this one as it is a good friction fit but also wanted it to be adjustable... just in case
B8B3223C-1332-4F93-B44D-115601BAC676.jpeg

The plastic planter I made 4 slits in on the quadrants for capillary action.
6BAD55D0-612E-4ABF-B7BF-1FFF8E33A734.jpeg

And this is the SIP bucket unit all assembled.
180AE8EA-99C4-4F32-8D7F-DE1613A778CD.jpeg

I will be lining the bottom of the bucket and the planter with landscape weedblock cloth to keep the medium out of the reservoir
5BE1177B-E175-42C7-B040-3EEEB03E9F8D.jpeg

I hope this is easy to follow, I referred to a post on Pinterest showing a few drawings. Figured the pics will help someone who sees that but is confused.

Nice 1 JP.. very ghetto!. I'm in the middle of getting one or 2 together myself... what are ya gonna use to fill it?.. soil? Coco?..
Easy now!..
Read coco has an issue pulling water up that far. Most of what I read was organic or peat based. I’ll use the same mix I’m growing with now. Promix premium moisture. Has all the stuff it needs besides nutes. Will be using Megacrop newest 1 part version. Hoping for more explosive growth over just soil and the article stated that it’s a step up from soil and a step down from hydro. That’ll work for me!

Interesting good luck on your grow man !!!

Did a bunch of research into sub irrigated planters, decided to make my own . Plan on using it in my upcoming auto grow.

SUPPLIES
1-6gal bucket from old beer brewing kit
1-5gal bucket rescued from side of the road
1-Small clear planter
2-Sections of old vacuum cleaner tube
1-1/8” hardwood dowel
1-unused wine cork cut into 1/3&2/3
Weedblock landscaping cloth

I cut the top off the 6 gal bucket to make the clear planter close to touching bottom of 6 gal bucket when it is in place in insert of 5 gal bucketView attachment 1293370
Used as guide for insert cut in five gal bucket and drilled aeration holes in 5 gal bucket for air pruning of rootsView attachment 1293371
As well as cutting a hole for fill tube made out of 2 sections of old vacuum tubeView attachment 1293372

made a water level float out of a unused wine cork and 1/8” hardwood dowel. I cut the top 1/3 of cork off making two pieces. The 2/3 section of cork I center drilled and glued the dowel into the cork. The 1/3 section I shaped to take off any hard edges and Center drilled it and slid onto dowel for a guide so float is centered in tube... making sure to put it below the split in the vacuum tube. I did not glue this one as it is a good friction fit but also wanted it to be adjustable... just in caseView attachment 1293393
The plastic planter I made 4 slits in on the quadrants for capillary action.View attachment 1293394
And this is the SIP bucket unit all assembled.View attachment 1293395
I will be lining the bottom of the bucket and the planter with landscape weedblock cloth to keep the medium out of the reservoirView attachment 1293396
I hope this is easy to follow, I referred to a post on Pinterest showing a few drawings. Figured the pics will help someone who sees that but is confused.
This is very smart sip bucket set up got me 4 going now

Back