dog owners take note

Olderfart

DIY whenever possible, and sometimes when it isn't
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
Various strains, via MCT oil tincture, gummies, dry flower vaping.
Lest any of you are under the impression that the advice available online from veterinarians is biased, this note might help straighten you out.

Two days ago, I received a baggie of a few buds from a friend. They are garbage buds, tiny, mostly leaf, and I had little real interest in them, but kept them more as a courtesy than otherwise.

I must have left the ziplock where our 10 month old pup could get at it, and she managed to dig out a bud or two and eat it before we realized what she was up to. I think she ate a maximum of about .3 grams of garbage weed, dried but not decarbed. The arithmetic assuming ~5%THC comes to a dose of something like 1.5mg/kg. This dose hammered her. She vomited about an hour later, and since then has been completely whacked. The only thing she has voluntarily moved in the last two hours are her eyes. Take note, she sought this shit bud out deliberately and would have eaten the lot had we not caught her at it. For some reason, she considered it desirable.

To say that I feel bad about this would be my understatement of the year.

So peeps, be warned. You need to keep this shit away from your dog. If this tiny dose could do this to my dog, I can hardly imagine what the consequences would be of a dog getting into some serious bud, or much worse, some serious edibles.

Moderator, please feel free to move this post to wherever you think would be most useful.

I think they metabolize it so it’s very strong to them. My dog ate a piece of my butter. He is a big dog and older. He was whacked as well but I think he liked it cause now he comes as soon as I open it. He slept for like 24hrs only moved when my wife came home from work. He could barely get up lol wobbled over to her and melted in her hands. Then laid by the door for the rest of the night. Now I give him much smaller amounts as I think it helps as he’s getting older and like I said a big dog who was active so I’m sure his joints are worn.

I always thought the trichs had to be heated to break down and activate.

If you just eat plain dried bud you'll get no buzz or am I too stoned to know any better?

I have a 5 month old Leonberg.
It weighs about 70 pounds now.
I caught her licking a nug this afternoon in the garage.
Thanks for the info @Olderfart .
Who would have thought so little could have so much effect.
Good news is you caught the dog in time.
And all should learn from this experience.

Lest any of you are under the impression that the advice available online from veterinarians is biased, this note might help straighten you out.

Two days ago, I received a baggie of a few buds from a friend. They are garbage buds, tiny, mostly leaf, and I had little real interest in them, but kept them more as a courtesy than otherwise.

I must have left the ziplock where our 10 month old pup could get at it, and she managed to dig out a bud or two and eat it before we realized what she was up to. I think she ate a maximum of about .3 grams of garbage weed, dried but not decarbed. The arithmetic assuming ~5%THC comes to a dose of something like 1.5mg/kg. This dose hammered her. She vomited about an hour later, and since then has been completely whacked. The only thing she has voluntarily moved in the last two hours are her eyes. Take note, she sought this shit bud out deliberately and would have eaten the lot had we not caught her at it. For some reason, she considered it desirable.

To say that I feel bad about this would be my understatement of the year.

So peeps, be warned. You need to keep this shit away from your dog. If this tiny dose could do this to my dog, I can hardly imagine what the consequences would be of a dog getting into some serious bud, or much worse, some serious edibles.

Moderator, please feel free to move this post to wherever you think would be most useful.
thanks for sharing as i would say most of us have dogs and i hope your pup just sleeps it off and here's my dopey girl zeta making use of an old coat hanger

Attachments

• IMG_20200712_105431.jpg
    IMG_20200712_105431.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 175
@St. Tom
Dopey dog?
Thats their job!
yes shes a cracker her names zeta and she a german shepherd i had another one called lady about 25 years ago who eat some cannabis resin she slept for 36 hrs so I've always been a bit more careful but they do like to root also what breeds your dog my friend

If you just eat plain dried bud you'll get no buzz or am I too stoned to know any better?
Yeah, I thought that too, but I can now tell you that it is bullshit for dogs. I am shocked that such a small nug of simple dried shit weed would have the effect that it did. No bloody wonder getting into concentrated edibles can be so horrible for dogs. Lesson learned at this end I can tell you.

I think dogs metabolize thca into thc. So doesn’t have to be activated for dogs. I could be too stoned too so idk lol.

Back