World Wide Doing things differently.

caliEskimo

Auto Warrior
Reaction score
Let me first introduce myself, my name is Calie, my mother calls me "Nico' there you have it. Look, I've been known as the 'plant guy' or w/e, being mostly introverted and recluse I have alot of time dedicated to surviving by sowing, growing and harvesting, everything. Not a big deal, lets take a look at my more specific question and let me tell you, it's very intricate..its quite obssessive when you can't get 2+2 to equal 4!
I've grandfathered 2 species of cannabis since 2000, earlier actually but not breeded intentionally and have gotten some exceptional harvests indoors and outdoors. On the flip side of that coin, I've had some really isn't, peewy, na na nasty ass shit...same seeds, same plant. Another thing I'd like to point out is some of the best smoke I've ever created were hermie plants(Gorilla Glue is finky af especially with LEDs and perlite medium)! Coco, soil, dwc, perlite and several variations of mediums have been used to grow from seed, my cutting/cloning abilities are lacking(i know, i suck).
With using seed, why cannot I get uniformity? I like the strains I have but how do get grow periods similar to the past? And its not like the females i use make 10billion seeds, maybe 35 per plant. One time I'll get buds so dank and terpilicious that they can be left out indefinitely and never turn to crumbly shit, so dense that a grinder is useless and then bam, 8 months later(different grow, same strain seeds), dinky, seemly premie looking buds despite 14 weeks of flower and same feed schedule....dry in 5 days and are immediately ready to smoke..in 3.5 pooff! Gone. Then to add injury to insult, I've been told has less potency than hemp. Shit is Frustrating to hear when you have every tool at your disposal, all the time in the world, awesome climate indoors and out and time tested knowledge.
2 lbs of cow feed( they love it!)

Other than cloning, what am i missing here? I understand mendels law and the punnet square⬛, its like I have one strain thats Bruce Banner x Northern lights, gorilla glue and purple haze and them another thats mostly grown outdoors that seems very feral but on good years, very few seeds and very stinky, POTENT airy, whispy buds..almost Dr. Grinspoon-like, corn nut size calyxes!
Consistentcy with the perfect nug, dense and uniform along branches as im not looking to get main terminal branch colas each generation.

I'm sorry, I detail way too much sometimes and forgive me for the lack of photgraphs right now(interwebs issues).
Ps I get some of the 8 month time period doesn't coincide with autos, I grow specific males and photoperiods together at specific times(indoors) and grow out and pheno hunt(outdoors) forgive me for not saying.
Consistency, dense nugs, uniformity.

Reactions: AMG
As Mendel found out, the less traits you work with the better the results. Hybrids will tend to revert back to their original form over time due to dominant genes.
You really need a greenhouse/tent and a controlled atmosphere to keep out stray pollen. I had looked into hybridizing and decided I would not want to put the time and effort into it.
I remember this article and this paragraph:
"Consequently, crossbreeding marijuana plants is a long, unpredictable, and sometimes utterly frustrating experience. Many breeders begin with a clone-only strain and try to develop a seed-based strain with the traits of one of its parent plants. If you go down this route, expect a different result with every seed. Breeders sometimes sprout well over 100 seeds from a single variety to find the true representation of what they sought. "

Wow, this just popped up on my YouTube feed. It's an hour long but fascinating stuff.

Reactions: AMG
As Mendel found out, the less traits you work with the better the results. Hybrids will tend to revert back to their original form over time due to dominant genes.
You really need a greenhouse/tent and a controlled atmosphere to keep out stray pollen. I had looked into hybridizing and decided I would not want to put the time and effort into it.
I remember this article and this paragraph:
"Consequently, crossbreeding marijuana plants is a long, unpredictable, and sometimes utterly frustrating experience. Many breeders begin with a clone-only strain and try to develop a seed-based strain with the traits of one of its parent plants. If you go down this route, expect a different result with every seed. Breeders sometimes sprout well over 100 seeds from a single variety to find the true representation of what they sought. "

This exactly what i was looking for. Thanks

Back