First grow, please help! Young plant is showing brown spots and sides of the leaves are curling upwards (not the tips)

Scroger

Auto Warrior
Reaction score
The camera makes it look more green than it really is. It's not very vibrant green like the first few days from sprout. All of my plants are pretty dull light green looking. But you can see the spots on the top and the bottom, and the curling on the top leaf there. Thanks so much for your time guys

Problem: Brown spots and curling of the leaves

Medium/grow method: Coco Coir/Perlite

Feed: and supplements used: General Hydroponics FloraTrio & Calimagic. I'm feeding diluted down to .2ec-.3ec. I tried one day at .6ec because I saw very conflicting advice, and that might be when the burn happened? I did that about 2 days before this picture. My runoff is .6ec even though I'm feeding about .3ec. I don't know if this means it's building up or if I should feed once without nutes?

water source: RO water @ 000 ppm and balanced to 5.8pH every feeding. Runoff is about 6.4-6.5pH.

Strain/age: Zkittles, 10 days old. Other saplings are Pink Panama and Galaxy Brain. No brown spots on them, but they are pretty dull green.

light used: HLG 350R in a 2x4 grow tent. They are 24" from the canopy and lux meter reads about 23,000.

Climate: 70-74 degrees, 62% humidity

Additional info: Shouldn't my plants be bigger by day 10? There's another post on here at day ~12 by MrAutoGrower and they fill the entire bottom of the pot.... Are my plants extremely stunted??

Attachments

• xUwyF5p.jpg
    xUwyF5p.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 52
The camera makes it look more green than it really is. It's not very vibrant green like the first few days from sprout. All of my plants are pretty dull light green looking. But you can see the spots on the top and the bottom, and the curling on the top leaf there. Thanks so much for your time guys

Feed: and supplements used: General Hydroponics FloraTrio & Calimagic. I'm feeding diluted down to .2ec-.3ec. I tried one day at .6ec because I saw very conflicting advice, and that might be when the burn happened? I did that about 2 days before this picture. My runoff is .6ec even though I'm feeding about .3ec. I don't know if this means it's building up or if I should feed once without nutes?

water source: RO water @ 000 ppm and balanced to 5.8pH every feeding. Runoff is about 6.4-6.5pH.

Strain/age: Zkittles, 10 days old. Other saplings are Pink Panama and Galaxy Brain. No brown spots on them, but they are pretty dull green.

light used: HLG 350R in a 2x4 grow tent. They are 24" from the canopy and lux meter reads about 23,000.

Additional info: Shouldn't my plants be bigger by day 10? There's another post on here at day ~12 by MrAutoGrower and they fill the entire bottom of the pot.... Are my plants extremely stunted??

Hello ^_^

Welcome to AFN.

They don't look burnt to me (that will first manifest as tip burn which progresses through the leafs if you ocntinue to burn them)
The EC of the nutrient solution is too low to burn them.

Back in the day (when i was growing coco and advising) Canna recommeneded a minimum EC of 0.8 for their brand of coco.

Its tough to see how big the plants are without any reference point or size.

Autos spend a good part of the first couple of weeks laying down the tap root before taking off.
I'll edit in a link to one of my grows or albums that have daily grow references - I'm a half decent grower so it should be attainable with the right environment and feeding.

Leaves curling up (like a canoe) usually suggest it's too dry .. but your RH meter says otherwise. I guess the spots could be PH related. (i woulnd't worry about them at this point, could just be a nute splash)

Just sitck to 5.8 ph and don't bother with the run off test - its not a good indicator - trust what you put in, and feed (or fertigate (mog)lol)) to run off everytime and you should be golden.

Hope some of this helps - i'm not familiar with your nute lineup!

Good luck
Blue ^_^

:d5:

I don’t think there is anything to be to concerned about. The plants will shed those first 2 Leaves soon anyways. Overall your young seedling looks good.

Hello my friend!

She looks fine so far, but I see your worry. Like blue said, sometimes they spend more time building roots so you don’t see much development above. Especially in bigger pots.

Are you comparing your 10 day old girl to my 12 day old girl?

image.jpg

I also have two other girls that are much smaller, and not in perlite mix. Just plain coco and they’re behind compared to her.

Genetics have a huge part in size differences. When I pot up in bigger pots, I feel like I water too much and over water them in coco. People say you can’t over water, but I do believe you can to an extent. People also say overwatering is not by how much water you give, but by frequency. I don’t believe that either but that’s just me. I notice my seedlings grow much happier, bigger, and faster in solocups. I believe this is because you can only give up to 500ml per water and it will dry out faster than feeding a 12L pot 1L of water.

Just continue to lightly feed your gal and try not to give her too much water at a time. Give her a day or two of rest and feed again depending how much water you give her. Doing seedlings in solocups takes all the guess work out of how much water to feed, so I like it better.

Hello my friend!

She looks fine so far, but I see your worry. Like blue said, sometimes they spend more time building roots so you don’t see much development above. Especially in bigger pots.

Are you comparing your 10 day old girl to my 12 day old girl?

View attachment 1404900

I also have two other girls that are much smaller, and not in perlite mix. Just plain coco and they’re behind compared to her.

Genetics have a huge part in size differences. When I pot up in bigger pots, I feel like I water too much and over water them in coco. People say you can’t over water, but I do believe you can to an extent. People also say overwatering is not by how much water you give, but by frequency. I don’t believe that either but that’s just me. I notice my seedlings grow much happier, bigger, and faster in solocups. I believe this is because you can only give up to 500ml per water and it will dry out faster than feeding a 12L pot 1L of water.

Just continue to lightly feed your gal and try not to give her too much water at a time. Give her a day or two of rest and feed again depending how much water you give her. Doing seedlings in solocups takes all the guess work out of how much water to feed, so I like it better.
It is possible that seedling growth looks/seems faster in Solo cups (small containers), that is the above ground growth you see. But as noted, if given the space, a larget pot, most autos will put in more work early making roots vs. stems and leaves.

Back