Fist time using mega crop. Currently day 20, pure coco, megacrop 4g , SC 1g, calmag, 1.5g a gallon. Recharge one a week. 6.0PH Pineapple express and sour crack.

Attachments

• IMG_2769.jpg
    IMG_2769.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 125
"I buy DynaGro 1 gallon at a time ($55) and to make this an apples-to-apples comparison I’ll be comparing DG’s 1 gallon to MegaCrop’s 2500g size @ $32.69 (includes shipping). They mix up a similar amount of reservoirs but the gallon of DG will last about 5 weeks longer.

So the first thing that I want to address is the inaccuracy printed on the bags of Megacrop. They claim that 4gs of their product into a gallon of water equals 1.2EC (840 ppm). I measured 4 different times out of 2 different MC bags with a freshly calibrated EC pen. The best I came up with is that 4gs of MegaCrop into a gallon of water equals 0.87EC (610 ppm) which means MegaCrop is over-stating their potency by nearly 38%. I also checked out MC's website some months ago and they had a lot of misleading information about the cost of comparable products on the market. For instance, they calculated their own cost of use at a feeding strength of 1.0 EC but when they calculated the cost of a competitor's product they did so at feeding levels sometimes well over 2.0 EC. That's shady as hell and it's the same thing AN used to pull when attacking their competitors in the market. That bit on their website has since been taken down but used to be here: (https://greenleafnutrients.com/product-comparison/?v=b457452c21b1).

In the defense of MegaCrop, and let me be clear here, they do lie on their bags, however, those recommendations are safe for your average idiot grower who doesn't own a ppm/EC pen and blindly follows the manufacturers recommendations. Even feeding at their high end of 6gs/gal, you're still safe. Compare that to many other feeding charts, DynaGro's included, and following them to a T will absolutely scorch your plants.

So let’s figure out the real cost of MC in my 18 gallon reservoir. I’ll be feeding at around 1.1 EC from start to finish which means MC (90g each week into the reservoir) is going to cost $10.59 for this 9 week flowering period. DynaGro at the same feeding level costs $15.12 (115mls each week into the reservoir). Now this is a difference of $4.53 over a 2 month period. Obviously the difference in price increases with the scale of the grow and at some level the price difference between the two products could outweigh the inconvenience of dealing with dusty dry foods that need pH-adjustments every few days. Yield would be a factor too. If MC is more of a pain to deal with but yields more then obviously that’s something to consider too. Generally speaking in my life, time is the most important commodity so naturally I’d always be leaning towards the liquid foods in any wet vs dry plant food comparison.

Full disclosure here: I do use a couple other additives along with DG. They're not necessary but they are beneficial and I believe these products are already included in the MC dry mix that I'm currently using. So with DG, the money that I'm not spending on pH-up and down could easily be negated by the couple additives that I use.

So it looks like Mega Crop did not take down the cost comparison that I saw on their site. It can be found here (https://greenleafnutrients.com/product/mega-crop/?v=7516fd43adaa#!/NPK).

So what rubs me the wrong way is that they are comparing their own cost of use at 4.1g servings which equals 633 ppm (0.9EC) to 10ml/gal servings with DynaGro which equals 1150ppm (1.64 EC). That's not an apple-to-apples comparison and when calculating cost at these very different feeding levels it becomes VERY misleading.

Let's looks at the Aqua Flakes Comparison too. I've used Aqua Flakes in the past and I actually really liked it. It's a 2-part food and you use equal parts from start to finish. Super easy! So MC is claiming that this is THE most expensive plant food option on their list. They're saying that 40L of Aqua Flakes only makes 587 gallons. That means that users are feeding their plants with a total of 68.1 mls/gal! If I recall the potency of Aqua Flakes correctly, that's a feeding level of 5451ppm (7.78 EC). I'm thinking someone forgot to carry a 1 or something? If shooting for 1.1 EC, Aqua Flakes users only need about 4.5mls/gal of each part. At that feeding rate, 40L of food makes 4444 gallons of food.

So as you can see MC is not doing apples-to-apples comparisons here which I think is shady and misleading. So far it looks like MC is a good product and they shouldn't be resorting to these lies to sell their plant foods."

"I buy DynaGro 1 gallon at a time ($55) and to make this an apples-to-apples comparison I’ll be comparing DG’s 1 gallon to MegaCrop’s 2500g size @ $32.69 (includes shipping). They mix up a similar amount of reservoirs but the gallon of DG will last about 5 weeks longer.

So the first thing that I want to address is the inaccuracy printed on the bags of Megacrop. They claim that 4gs of their product into a gallon of water equals 1.2EC (840 ppm). I measured 4 different times out of 2 different MC bags with a freshly calibrated EC pen. The best I came up with is that 4gs of MegaCrop into a gallon of water equals 0.87EC (610 ppm) which means MegaCrop is over-stating their potency by nearly 38%. I also checked out MC's website some months ago and they had a lot of misleading information about the cost of comparable products on the market. For instance, they calculated their own cost of use at a feeding strength of 1.0 EC but when they calculated the cost of a competitor's product they did so at feeding levels sometimes well over 2.0 EC. That's shady as hell and it's the same thing AN used to pull when attacking their competitors in the market. That bit on their website has since been taken down but used to be here: (https://greenleafnutrients.com/product-comparison/?v=b457452c21b1).

In the defense of MegaCrop, and let me be clear here, they do lie on their bags, however, those recommendations are safe for your average idiot grower who doesn't own a ppm/EC pen and blindly follows the manufacturers recommendations. Even feeding at their high end of 6gs/gal, you're still safe. Compare that to many other feeding charts, DynaGro's included, and following them to a T will absolutely scorch your plants.

So let’s figure out the real cost of MC in my 18 gallon reservoir. I’ll be feeding at around 1.1 EC from start to finish which means MC (90g each week into the reservoir) is going to cost $10.59 for this 9 week flowering period. DynaGro at the same feeding level costs $15.12 (115mls each week into the reservoir). Now this is a difference of $4.53 over a 2 month period. Obviously the difference in price increases with the scale of the grow and at some level the price difference between the two products could outweigh the inconvenience of dealing with dusty dry foods that need pH-adjustments every few days. Yield would be a factor too. If MC is more of a pain to deal with but yields more then obviously that’s something to consider too. Generally speaking in my life, time is the most important commodity so naturally I’d always be leaning towards the liquid foods in any wet vs dry plant food comparison.

Full disclosure here: I do use a couple other additives along with DG. They're not necessary but they are beneficial and I believe these products are already included in the MC dry mix that I'm currently using. So with DG, the money that I'm not spending on pH-up and down could easily be negated by the couple additives that I use.

So it looks like Mega Crop did not take down the cost comparison that I saw on their site. It can be found here (https://greenleafnutrients.com/product/mega-crop/?v=7516fd43adaa#!/NPK).

So what rubs me the wrong way is that they are comparing their own cost of use at 4.1g servings which equals 633 ppm (0.9EC) to 10ml/gal servings with DynaGro which equals 1150ppm (1.64 EC). That's not an apple-to-apples comparison and when calculating cost at these very different feeding levels it becomes VERY misleading.

Let's looks at the Aqua Flakes Comparison too. I've used Aqua Flakes in the past and I actually really liked it. It's a 2-part food and you use equal parts from start to finish. Super easy! So MC is claiming that this is THE most expensive plant food option on their list. They're saying that 40L of Aqua Flakes only makes 587 gallons. That means that users are feeding their plants with a total of 68.1 mls/gal! If I recall the potency of Aqua Flakes correctly, that's a feeding level of 5451ppm (7.78 EC). I'm thinking someone forgot to carry a 1 or something? If shooting for 1.1 EC, Aqua Flakes users only need about 4.5mls/gal of each part. At that feeding rate, 40L of food makes 4444 gallons of food.

So as you can see MC is not doing apples-to-apples comparisons here which I think is shady and misleading. So far it looks like MC is a good product and they shouldn't be resorting to these lies to sell their plant foods."

Many fair points im sure just wondering are you subtracting your base ppm/ec from all readings or maybr your using r/o water.

Comparing 1gallon to 2500g is hardly apples to apples though?
1 gallon weighs 3.785kg so your using over 33% more DG
That makes your comparison pointless imo.

DynaGro is not a Cannabis formula, so you have to use much higher quantities to give the plant adequate nutrient for what it needs.

Also, all the comparison data comes directly from the manufacturers info, so if someone is "lying" then its from their data.

Also, "good luck" with DynaGro with their whopping 0.5% Magnesium and 2% Calcium

fert-dyna-grow-7-9-5-details_LRG.jpg

Mega Crop has 2.6% Mg (over 5x) and 7.1% Ca (over 3.5x) compared to DynaGro.

Also, with the "cost comparison" I am pretty sure DynaGro requires you to buy multiple different bottles, so just claiming "I buy 55 gal at a time ($55)" is probably misleading, since you would have to buy 2-3 different bottles bringing your cost to $110 - $165. Then at that point, you can buy the 22lb Mega Crop for $75 shipped anywhere in USA, which your cost would only be $6.13 to run 90g x 11 which is nearly 1/3rd the cost of DynaGro

I am ok with people criticizing Mega Crop or giving some feedback, but this post was one of the most ridiculous I have seen. I haven't heard anyone else saying our PPM/EC calculation was wrong, compared to 1 person here claiming its wrong. So I am going to go ahead with the preponderance of data that our EC/PPM calculations are correct.

MegaCrop is over-stating their potency by nearly 38%.
We do not overstate the potency at all, that would be illegal. The product clearly states 9-6-17 on all the product purchase pages which is literally the potency.

This post was made by some grade A hater LOL. Wonder who it could be?

Last edited:
I haven't heard anyone else saying our PPM/EC calculation was wrong
When I mix 4.5 grams I DO NOT get 875 on the 700 scale. It is way over 875 close to 1000. I did some mixing and its around 3.4-3.5 grams to get to 875. I also input your ratios onto a nutrient calculator (or do them by hand) and most of the numbers I get dont match the calculator you have on your website.

When I mix 4.5 grams I DO NOT get 875 on the 700 scale. It is way over 875 close to 1000. I did some mixing and its around 3.4-3.5 grams to get to 875. I also input your ratios onto a nutrient calculator (or do them by hand) and most of the numbers I get dont match the calculator you have on your website.
You are saying the exact opposite of the previous poster. That guy above was trying to accuse us of "lying" on the PPM feeding calculator to overestimate PPM's and shorting people (the product didn't actually meet enough PPM as claimed.)
Now you are here saying our PPM calculator underestimates and actually gives higher dose than claimed. :crying::crying::crying:

People should feed the amount of what keeps their plants healthy, there are a lot of variations in meters and the website calculator is just a starting point to dial in your grows. You have to do the rest.

You are saying the exact opposite of the previous poster. That guy above was trying to accuse us of "lying" on the PPM feeding calculator to overestimate PPM's and shorting people (the product didn't actually meet enough PPM as claimed.)
Now you are here saying our PPM calculator underestimates and actually gives higher dose than claimed. :crying::crying::crying:

People should feed the amount of what keeps their plants healthy, there are a lot of variations in meters and the website calculator is just a starting point to dial in your grows. You have to do the rest.
Great product, keep up the hard work. There will always be haters. Be like Trump, rise above it.

I dont even know the guy who posted that. I pointed out that the numbers you claim on your website do not match up to the numbers I put on a nutrient calculator like HydroBuddy.
Sorry but im one of those guys who gets anal about the EXACT ppms per gallon. I like to truly dial it in. Im not a hater. In fact I love MC V2. It is much cleaner than MC1 and I was considering going to Jacks or Masterblend because of it but the V2 formula changed my mind.

Do you really think you plants cares about exact ppm?? and most people WAY over feed their plants. plus or minus even 50 ppm matters not all all unless you run your solution really high or really low. I feed megacrop 2.0 at 400-450ppms with great success. I hate fiddling around measuring and adjusting to an imaginary perfection. Give your plants what they need, not what you think they need.

I dont even know the guy who posted that. I pointed out that the numbers you claim on your website do not match up to the numbers I put on a nutrient calculator like HydroBuddy.
Sorry but im one of those guys who gets anal about the EXACT ppms per gallon. I like to truly dial it in. Im not a hater. In fact I love MC V2. It is much cleaner than MC1 and I was considering going to Jacks or Masterblend because of it but the V2 formula changed my mind.

Back